Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.9 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a previous video Chuck stated that many drivers don't even try to cross into the median they just turn right and take a U-turn further down the road. I wonder if Tesla will just decide that difficult unprotected left turns with a median won't be supported for now and the car will be routed to avoid them. I can only think of one in my area and it's not nearly as difficult so an option to reroute wouldn't be a problem anyway.

Yes, that is definitely an option. It is not like Tesla has to do that unprotected left if there is a less risky way to complete the same route. And if Tesla wanted to deploy robotaxis, it would make sense to pick the less risky routes. I think we've even seen AVs like Waymo do that in some places as they want to minimize risk and maximize safety when giving a driverless ride to a customer.

Reactions: RabidYak
Interesting. 10.9 appears to be uncertain about when a gap in traffic is good enough. FSD Beta creeps forward a lot. The software may not be very confident yet in its predictions. I imagine Tesla programmed the slow creep to err on the side of caution since crossing traffic can be very dangerous if you estimate the gap wrong. Also, 10.9 does not know how to use the median as a temporary stop so it does poorly in scenarios where it could go but it would need to stop at the median to wait for traffic on the right. 10.9 works best in scenarios when there is a big gap in traffic in both directions and it can just complete the entire turn in one go.

It seems to me that once Tesla programs FSD Beta with how to use a median to stop and improves the confidence in estimating the gap in traffic, it should be a lot better at this type of unprotected left turns. But I would also note Chuck tested on a nice clear day. If it was rainy or foggy or at night, it would be much harder. I suspect FSD Beta will eventually be able to do these unprotected left turns on a clear day but I am skeptical the hardware is good enough to handle it in bad weather or at night.
It’s even worse on 10.9 without a median. Total disaster. Otherwise I feel 10.9 is a vast improvement on my one drive so far. Both in city and NOA, ping ponging ridiculous lane changes greatly improved. No Phantom Breaking. Knock on wood on all of it. YMMV.

Ski

• Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33
Interesting. 10.9 appears to be uncertain about when a gap in traffic is good enough. FSD Beta creeps forward a lot. The software may not be very confident yet in its predictions. I imagine Tesla programmed the slow creep to err on the side of caution since crossing traffic can be very dangerous if you estimate the gap wrong. Also, 10.9 does not know how to use the median as a temporary stop so it does poorly in scenarios where it could go but it would need to stop at the median to wait for traffic on the right. 10.9 works best in scenarios when there is a big gap in traffic in both directions and it can just complete the entire turn in one go.

It seems to me that once Tesla programs FSD Beta with how to use a median to stop and improves the confidence in estimating the gap in traffic, it should be a lot better at this type of unprotected left turns. But I would also note Chuck tested on a nice clear day. If it was rainy or foggy or at night, it would be much harder. I suspect FSD Beta will eventually be able to do these unprotected left turns on a clear day but I am skeptical the hardware is good enough to handle it in bad weather or at night.
thats not a true median. Pretty sure they meant a center yellow lane. How often are people in one like that video. Not worth programming.

It’s even worse on 10.9 without a median. Total disaster. Otherwise I feel 10.9 is a vast improvement on my one drive so far. Both in city and NOA, ping ponging ridiculous lane changes greatly improved. No Phantom Breaking. Knock on wood on all of it. YMMV.

Ski

Thanks. I still have some phantom braking. But the ping pong lane changes are indeed greatly improved in my experience.

Reactions: Skione65
I am getting more of the petit-mal phantom braking: it drops a few mph, stays there like it is scared then slowly speeds back up.
I have not had grand-mal phantom braking where it locked up the brakes for no reason since 10.8.
For me, FSD 10.9 is still afraid of shadows and patched roads.
It's like it has seizures, little ones now, but lots of them.

Reactions: Reddy Kilowatt
I won't be surprised if there is some regression that they will correct and put out 10.9.1 soon - and get everyone onboard with that.

One other possibility is to keep people on 2 versions to do full on A/B testing.
Were we ever able to confirm this actually happened with 10.6, 10.8, & 10.8.1?

I know there was plenty of plausible speculation but just not convinced yet this is the case, though I would buy it with a solid argument.

ETA: I mean this specific to A/B testing. Not bug fixes.

Last edited:
Notification on TeslaScope:

Your safety score hasn't updated in more than two days. This typically means that you were accepted into the Full Self-Driving Beta and Tesla has paused safety data collection.

Now if only there were a version available to onboard to...

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
Notification on TeslaScope:

Your safety score hasn't updated in more than two days. This typically means that you were accepted into the Full Self-Driving Beta and Tesla has paused safety data collection.

Now if only there were a version available to onboard to...

This is a problem on Teslascope, your score needs to be reenabled in the settings.

Saw the same and messaged them, means nothing unfortunately.

My 10.9 FSD Beta still won't allow me to drive in FSD beta.

I was in some weird purgatory for a few weeks after getting my computer replaced. I had FSD beta before the replacement but afterwards I was stuck for a while on 10.2.

Yesterday I have been upgraded to 10.9 FSD beta but my car will not perform any of the FSD moves. I also still have the 90 mph speed limit in AP on the freeway.

It's sort of weird, but I am getting closer. This morning I tried turning off all the FSD beta settings and turning them all on again after checking the boxes. I also tried an MCU and the main contactor reset. I guess I will just continue to wait, at least my safety score is gone from the app.
Try a camera recalibrate...

The 10.9 rollout freeze is still curious. Especially since this would constitute as a broken promise, per Elon's last tweet regarding its ETA.

I expected to see a lot of social media complaints about it that would warrant the freeze, but not finding anything debilitating at all. That's what makes this halt even more puzzling.

Reactions: Gilliland