Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.9 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Close yours eyes and imagine driving on a city street where all the drivers are in braces and fresh out of the DMV office with their new driver's license. I'm sure your Tesla's FSD autopilot would be the least distracted driver on the street.

I'd rather be on a street where every car is running Tesla's FSD Beta than to have to deal with drivers who seem to have printed their driver's license off the internet.

I just got FSD finally two weeks ago (with a 96 score too). I have been TRYING to use it around my city but have one major issue that has kept me from making 50% of the turns. Most turn lanes here are center turn lanes where cars coming the other direction also use the same lane to turn from. Without fail, FSD tries to move into the center turn BLOCKS before the intersection where I am turning. Yesterday, it made the move 0.3 miles prior to the turn and 4 blocks before the traffic light. I immediately take control back so I don't know if it going to just try to drive for blocks in the center turn lane, but what gives? This seems like such a simple programming mistake.

Here is where it happened yesterday...just before a section where there is a concrete curb in the turn lane too.

Screenshot 2022-01-19 162605.png

Went on my first 10.9 drive.

- Right turns from a stop look slightly faster. I'll have to check the exact numbers once the videos are imported.
- Roundabouts : The car didn't stop before the pedestrian crossing. Took less time to complete the roundabout. If repeats over the next could of days, would be a definite improvement.
- There is one right turn at a traffic light with a right turn fork that used to be ok before 10.7 (?) and has never been completed successfully since then. The car goes too fast and I disengage because the car wants to ignore the right turn fork and take the turn at the intersection, which also it can't do properly because of high speed. The navigation shows path through the right turn fork. Unfortunately, no improvement in this. I thought one of the release notes items (#7, Made launches from stop more calm when there is an imminent slowdown nearby) would have made this better.
In DC at the moment (lots of signals), noticed a big improvement with traffic lights today. This is the first major change I have noticed w/ stopping at lights since 10.4.

- Approach to the stop line was much smoother and more natural. It didn’t do the standard ‘stop 20 yards back and then creep’.
- Approach to the stop line with Peds in a X-walk was amazing. It stopped smoothly about 5 yards back and then creeped up to the line.

Anyone else notice the traffic signal improvement or is it my wishful thinking?

I saw some debate on the maps update and what not. I’ll just add that mine was still sitting on the 2020.x version this evening, ~12 hours after downloading/installing 10.9.

I had a couple of drives with 10.9 today and was very impressed with the turns except one which was approached too fast so the turn ended up being awkward. There were construction markers leading up to the intersection so that may have played a part. Overall though, I was impressed with the drives today.

Saw my first dog visualized on the screen today. I knew that was coming but haven't seen it myself so far.

I just got FSD finally two weeks ago (with a 96 score too). I have been TRYING to use it around my city but have one major issue that has kept me from making 50% of the turns. Most turn lanes here are center turn lanes where cars coming the other direction also use the same lane to turn from. Without fail, FSD tries to move into the center turn BLOCKS before the intersection where I am turning. Yesterday, it made the move 0.3 miles prior to the turn and 4 blocks before the traffic light. I immediately take control back so I don't know if it going to just try to drive for blocks in the center turn lane, but what gives? This seems like such a simple programming mistake.

Here is where it happened yesterday...just before a section where there is a concrete curb in the turn lane too.

View attachment 757656
Well, I gotta say... You've got no lane lines. What does the visualization show? Does it pick up the turn arrows? It does here, but I've never seen a road with that little paint unless it was just paved and got painted a week later.

Last edited:
Well, I gotta say... You've got no lane lines. What does the visualization show? Does it pick up the turn arrows? It does here, but I've never seen a road with that little paint unless it was just paved and got painted a week later.

in my experience, there are enough lane dot indicators there for AP/FSD to know where the lanes are... I'd imagine in your area, during winter, with all the sand and salt trucks and plows scraping the roads, there are plenty of roads where the lane lines are nearly invisible. Yet AP/FSD has never had an issue in those conditions for me.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
in my experience, there are enough lane dot indicators there for AP/FSD to know where the lanes are... I'd imagine in your area, during winter, with all the sand and salt trucks and plows scraping the roads, there are plenty of roads where the lane lines are nearly invisible. Yet AP/FSD has never had an issue in those conditions for me.
Lane markings, sometimes... The question was turn lane identification. What is the center lane? Without more markings, I don't think FSD knows if it's two lanes on your side or one lane. Once it sees a pair of the turn arrows maybe, but it doesn't seem to look very far ahead for those, in the cases I've seen.

Reactions: nvx1977
Anyone notice any obvious improvements? I don’t like to watch stuff from FSD content creators because I feel as they’re just fluffers and aren’t speaking the cold hard factz.
'21 MS Refresh on FSD beta awhile now (that first week that 99's got on), so been through several upgrades. Just two drives today in So Cal suburbs, overcast but good weather, so no phantom breaking as there were no shadows. Didn't notice much crosswalk creep, but also didn't have a lot of poor visibility stops to deal with, so can't speak on that as of yet.

Still had to disengage here:
  • Still coming in too hot on a couple of right turns it's been struggling with
  • Still switching lanes to the right on an inclined overpass when it has to turn left immediately after on the downhill side
BUT - was stoked on the left hand unprotected turns. Super smooth on several corners!

It’s past time where this problem should be captured into some number of automated test cases. Sure the test cases won’t achieve 100% coverage but doing so would be moving the problem to new & eventually more complex conditions to occur.

The problem being solved is far to complex to solve without a good testing methodology.
How do you know it isnt? Given that 10.7 and 10.8 seem to have made significant steps toward mitigating it?

Use the report button to get the issue back tor FSD beta team. This is exactly the kind of feedback they want.

10.9 is a tad better at getting out of my neighborhood. It still tried to cut the corner on a left turn, but now it knows it's a mistake and half corrects itself sticking the car in the middle of the road. It still makes a minimum of 4 adjustments on any turns instead of 1 smooth motion like a human driver. Not very comfortable.

Reactions: israndy
In previous versions we were pushed the update over LTE, does anyone know if this is still happening? My car is parked at the airport,for a few weeks, and I’ve yet to get 10.9 so either I’m just late or it’s not coming while I’m gone. If anyone has noticed it pushed on LTE please let me know.