Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.9 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still stuck on 10.8.1 for some reason. Do we know how many are still left on this version?
fear not - you're not "stuck" - its only been four days :)
The beta releases tend to go out in in ever larger groups.
First batch is only small, then a larger batch and another until they roll it out fully.
After some versions that needed emergency patches its probably for the best.

For me 10.8 arrived really early, in the first 100 or so, but I don't have 10.9 yet and I was in the wide release batch at the end for 10.6
So I'm presupposing I'll be in the wide release group at the end, but that hasn't happened just yet

Reactions: K5TRX
  • Informative
Reactions: K5TRX and tmoz
This will allow insurance companies to raise their rates on cars with these sorts of features.

quick review of 10.9 so far:

It did lane keeping great, handled traffic lights and stop signs great, moved over to the turning lane smoothly and did turns pretty well (some were still a little jerky as the car had to make a small steering adjustment to find the lane). So it did a good job of navigating me to my destination. But it did have some issues. I had several phantom braking issues. I also had a weird situation where I was stopped at an intersection behind another car and needed to go straight. But it seems FSD Beta wanted to pass the car in front of me by going into the right turn lane. When the light turned green, the car in front of me accelerated and FSD Beta veered into the right turn lane, started to turn right and then veered back into the center lane to go straight. The planning went all crazy. Also, when making protected left turns, it goes into the left lane which is ok, but it never moves over to the right lane, so I have to use the stalk to do an auto lane change.

fear not - you're not "stuck" - its only been four days :)
The beta releases tend to go out in in ever larger groups.
First batch is only small, then a larger batch and another until they roll it out fully.
After some versions that needed emergency patches its probably for the best.

For me 10.8 arrived really early, in the first 100 or so, but I don't have 10.9 yet and I was in the wide release batch at the end for 10.6
So I'm presupposing I'll be in the wide release group at the end, but that hasn't happened just yet
I’m having flashbacks to being stuck on 10.5 for a month until 10.8 came out, lots of us were definitely stuck then and missed 10.6 and 10.6.1

Reactions: diamond.g
Tried out 10.9 yesterday on a 10-mile local drive. The handling is definitely better than 10.8. It's accelerating and decelerating more smoothly as evidenced by the wh/mi numbers. In 10.8 the same drive under the same weather and traffic conditions was 258 wh/mi, yesterday it was 213. Right turns at traffic lights were noticeably less jerky. It handled single lane circle quite well, stopping for in-circle traffic, just needed a little nudge entering. It still didn't handle two-lane circles well if I'm on the inside lane. It had trouble exiting the circle, can't seem to decide what it wants to do lol.

A couple of other scenarios in my test drive that needs improvement are 1. shared-center lane left turn and 2. four-way stop where I need to make a left. I didn't expect it to know "it's my turn now" but needed 3 nudges to get through the 4-way stop.

Well, I gotta say... You've got no lane lines. What does the visualization show? Does it pick up the turn arrows? It does here, but I've never seen a road with that little paint unless it was just paved and got painted a week later.
It shows the yellow dots without an issue and fully knows where the lanes are. They are shown as a dotted yellow on the inside and solid yellow on the outside.

Lane markings, sometimes... The question was turn lane identification. What is the center lane? Without more markings, I don't think FSD knows if it's two lanes on your side or one lane. Once it sees a pair of the turn arrows maybe, but it doesn't seem to look very far ahead for those, in the cases I've seen.
And there definitely are no turn arrows in most of the center lanes. Regardless, the software should know not to get into the turn lane (which it knows is not a regular lane due to the yellow lines being properly displayed on the display) blocks prior to the turn itself. I will get some video of it as well.

That road is beautiful by international standards. In the parts of the world with highest traffic accident / fatality rates, where something like AVs would theoretically have the biggest impact on safety, you're probably lucky to have any legible paint or signage

• Funny
Reactions: cobra
And there definitely are no turn arrows in most of the center lanes. Regardless, the software should know not to get into the turn lane (which it knows is not a regular lane due to the yellow lines being properly displayed on the display) blocks prior to the turn itself. I will get some video of it as well.
Yeah, that's bad if it marks both edges of the right lane but still crosses over into the center lane...

I've been wondering for some time if I am the only one that has ignored and resisted the temptation to install the beta when it downloaded some time ago. Based on all the weird things people talk about, I am just not willing to waste my time experimenting. Wish I could give it to someone else :) Seems a LOT of people just can't wait to experiment with it.

I just got FSD finally two weeks ago (with a 96 score too). I have been TRYING to use it around my city but have one major issue that has kept me from making 50% of the turns. Most turn lanes here are center turn lanes where cars coming the other direction also use the same lane to turn from. Without fail, FSD tries to move into the center turn BLOCKS before the intersection where I am turning. Yesterday, it made the move 0.3 miles prior to the turn and 4 blocks before the traffic light. I immediately take control back so I don't know if it going to just try to drive for blocks in the center turn lane, but what gives? This seems like such a simple programming mistake.

Here is where it happened yesterday...just before a section where there is a concrete curb in the turn lane too.

View attachment 757656

I'm curious to know if that street looks the same as when you actually drove the car on it and experienced the issue you had? This looks like a Google Streets view and as we all know, those images can be months or even a couple years old. Does it look like that now?

• Helpful
Reactions: KrenGrl
I'm curious to know if that street looks the same as when you actually drove the car on it and experienced the issue you had? This looks like a Google Streets view and as we all know, those images can be months or even a couple years old. Does it look like that now?
It looks exactly the same. Raised yellow dots for the center lanes which are how most streets in the city are.

Had a couple unnecessary double lane changes with 10.9 today as well as a missed right turn. Unclear if the double lane change is new behavior / regression due to "maneuvers beyond the lane change," but this happened after turning into a left-turn only lane as well as when merging from an onramp (FSD Beta visualization still showing).

The missed right turn might be a regression from the new auto-regressive architecture as there were plenty of parked cars blocking view of the turn, so maybe that new behavior of accounting for occluded views resulted in it ignoring the parts of the road it was actually able to see. Or maybe this time different cars spaced differently was just enough to confuse FSD Beta.