Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100 Amp HPWC but only 72amps at the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 100 amp circuit HPWC and my 2013 P85 would max out to 80 amps at the car, I just pluged in a 2017 P100D and it will only allow me to pull 72 Amps max (The car had about 65 miles left)?

And just an observation recently took a trip to Tampa ad plugged in a LV2 charger that gave up 30 amps.
The car had about 100+/- miles left I was shocked to see 12 hours 45 mins to charge to full (I drove 10 miles to the superchargers instead)

I have a 100 amp circuit HPWC and my 2013 P85 would max out to 80 amps at the car, I just pluged in a 2017 P100D and it will only allow me to pull 72 Amps max (The car had about 65 miles left)?

And just an observation recently took a trip to Tampa ad plugged in a LV2 charger that gave up 30 amps.
The car had about 100+/- miles left I was shocked to see 12 hours 45 mins to charge to full (I drove 10 miles to the superchargers instead)

Your P85 likely had double 40 amp chargers for 80 amps total. Your P100D has a single 72 amp charger.

I think the HPWC is expected to be used as an overnight charger, or at least when you're not planning on going anywhere for a few hours, and you aren't actively sitting around waiting for your charge to complete. Viewed that way, the difference between 72A and 80A charging is negligible. If you do need to charge at a faster rate, the supercharger network is being expanded constantly. But if you can charge at a lower amperage rate, then the charger components and wiring won't get as hot and their lifetime will be extended.

I have a 100 amp circuit HPWC and my 2013 P85 would max out to 80 amps at the car, I just pluged in a 2017 P100D and it will only allow me to pull 72 Amps max
You should know that when a circuit is rated at 100 A (meaning that the breaker will trigger if the current draw exceeds 100 A), electrical codes only allow an 80% continuous load on the circuit. That mean that you can safely only draw a maximum of 80 A.

Reactions: paperjohn
I only run our 100A circuit gen1 HPWC at 80A charging our 2015 P85D with dual 40A chargers a couple of times when I needed the fastest charge rate. The rest of the time I only charge at 50A which keeps the HPWC plug, cable and wall assembly MUCH cooler which should lead to longer life of our HPWC as well as the charge port on our Tesla. I also believe that the lower component temperatures means better charging efficiency since heat loss = power loss... Plus our Tesla's cooling fans run faster when charging at 80A = more wasted power.

YMMV

Somebody probably has a different opinion...

Reactions: paperjohn