Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100% drive unit failure rate??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my car back today, haven't driven it with the new DU yet, hoping the noise is gone though. It was 2 weeks from diagnosis to completed repair. Here's the part info:

drive unit text.JPG

I've offered my advice to you already, you are being BSed, make some noise of your own, go up the food chain at tesla and get your car repaired!

Yeah, I know. It's just not bugging me enough to make a "special trip", and as I think I mentioned here or in one of the other DU threads, I was kinda hoping for some indication that Tesla had figured out a more permanent resolution to the problem.

Yeah, I know. It's just not bugging me enough to make a "special trip", and as I think I mentioned here or in one of the other DU threads, I was kinda hoping for some indication that Tesla had figured out a more permanent resolution to the problem.
they haven't and AFAIK there really isn't anything coming soon. There is a possibility of continued usage causing a catastrophic failure, YMMV.

The part number is the same as the older Drive units only the last letter is different that specify revision. And Q is the latest revision last time i looked in the part catalog.

But have been changes to rotor/stator in the latest revisions according to the part catalog.

Why would Service Centre explicitly tell me it was a new "V2" unit when it's not? I didn't even ask them, they told me this without prompting.

Maybe as of letter M or N they were already a re-design?

Anyway, the new one is VERY quiet, but I didn't get the change to go any decent speed or acceleration yet, just around the city, max speed 80kms

they haven't and AFAIK there really isn't anything coming soon. There is a possibility of continued usage causing a catastrophic failure, YMMV.

I wish Tesla would post a blog post about what has been done to address the drive unit issues and cars build after which date have a permanent fix for the problem. I bet they don't like exhausting resources replacing all those drive units and I bet they have a permanent solution to this issue by now.

and FWIW, i'm on my 4th DU and the milling noise is getting louder. so i'll need a 5th drive unit probably within the next few months (whenever it gets loud enough to annoy other people that's usually when I bring it in, lol).

Insist on the latest revision, brand new from the factory. If you push, they will give you one.

- - - Updated - - -

I've stated this in numerous threads: Tesla's approach to the DU issue is to patch the problem; not engineer a solution.

I hope I'm wrong.

I hope you are wrong as well, because if true, that does not bode well for Model X.

- - - Updated - - -

I've stated this in numerous threads: Tesla's approach to the DU issue is to patch the problem; not engineer a solution.

Tesla is not sitting on its hands here. Look at the serial numbers that owners are posting. The drive units have undergone numerous revisions. The one I received in February was either a K or M revision, brand new from factory, and recently I've read of people getting P revisions.

Some people get their DU replaced because they can hear it... how many IC engines would get replaced if that was the standard :wink:

I see your point, but think it's a bit unfair. If an ICE started making an improper or unusual sound I think it would be a problem and need to be fixed. That is what's happening here. What should otherwise be a relatively quiet motor is now making objectionable sounds. Tesla tells me mine (now quite loud) is only "cosmetic" but others here contend that it could be foreshadowing some sort of failure.

Funny.
You hear a bearing failing but you should wait until the drive unit munches itself before addressing the problem so we can "really" call it a failure.

No thank you; been down these roads and learned to replace noisy bearings before they destroy what they are supporting.

ok, ok
If it is the last few laws of a 500 mile oval race and your at the pointed end, let'r eat.

My question is this...if Tesla is having hard time with Drive Units with $70K + cars and they cannot seem to come up with a solution

How are they going to deal with mass release of Model 3 with cars around $40 K range and still deal with drive unit issues?

I am currently scheduled on Oct 30 to have technician record the noise on second drive unit.

Bummer:mad:

Per JB Straubel, Tesla is completely redesigning the motors for Model 3. We all probably know why.

- - - Updated - - -

That parts catalog screenshot listed several part numbers (not just revisions). Seems that many people were getting a 102xxx unit where M and newer were post-AP, but I got a 100xxx unit for my replacement back in February.

Edit: To be clear, I have a 1002633-01-M in my car now. Others are getting something like 1025276-00-K, and on that 1025276 part we know that M and later is AP. There's also 1056680 and 1025598, and 1056681.

My last DU swap was in February of this year. I received a brand-new DU from the factory at my request.

1002633-01-M

No obvious sounds coming from DU after almost 20,000 miles since replacement. My previous ones developed noises in less than 10,000 miles. The first one developed noise after only 500 miles. Second one at 8,500 miles and third one at 18,000 miles.

Tesla is not sitting on its hands here. Look at the serial numbers that owners are posting. The drive units have undergone numerous revisions. The one I received in February was either a K or M revision, brand new from factory, and recently I've read of people getting P revisions.

I never said they were sitting on their hands. From my observations, since we're still on V1 of the driveunit with Rev P, they're patching problems. The engineered solution at this point (well, actually a while back), might be to start from scratch and have a DU V2 Rev A.

Pushing revisions is usually cheaper short term than starting from scratch. But at some point, when you're on Rev P (and sure, not all the rev's are due to problems, they're probably doing simulatenous improvements) and people are still having problems, it might be time...

I still hope I'm wrong, but that's what it looks like from the outside.

I never said they were sitting on their hands. From my observations, since we're still on V1 of the driveunit with Rev P, they're patching problems. The engineered solution at this point (well, actually a while back), might be to start from scratch and have a DU V2 Rev A.

Pushing revisions is usually cheaper short term than starting from scratch. But at some point, when you're on Rev P (and sure, not all the rev's are due to problems, they're probably doing simulatenous improvements) and people are still having problems, it might be time...

I still hope I'm wrong, but that's what it looks like from the outside.

Why would they need to start from scratch? The battery packs are also being revised. We started with A packs and now have D and E and who knows. The fact that we've been able to document a number of revisions just in the last year speaks volumes to the fact that Tesla is making revisions to the drive units. There is no evidence that these revisions are "patches" versus engineered fixes. We have no way of knowing. But the DUs are evolving much in the same way as the batteries. You re-engineer something and give it a new revision number.

Why would they need to start from scratch? The battery packs are also being revised. We started with A packs and now have D and E and who knows. The fact that we've been able to document a number of revisions just in the last year speaks volumes to the fact that Tesla is making revisions to the drive units. There is no evidence that these revisions are "patches" versus engineered fixes. We have no way of knowing. But the DUs are evolving much in the same way as the batteries. You re-engineer something and give it a new revision number.

Battery packs don't keep failing.

Worth also mentioning here that I (and others) have been told that Tesla has been working on a Service Center based fix for this issue. My SC wanted me to wait until it was available so that they could effectively remanufacture my DU in situ, at least that was the implication. If that is done, then it won't be a true "DU replacement", but a repair. Obviously the hope is that it's more permanent, but if they're moving in this direction then it implies a lower cost overhead vs. DU replacements.

Worth also mentioning here that I (and others) have been told that Tesla has been working on a Service Center based fix for this issue. My SC wanted me to wait until it was available so that they could effectively remanufacture my DU in situ, at least that was the implication. If that is done, then it won't be a true "DU replacement", but a repair. Obviously the hope is that it's more permanent, but if they're moving in this direction then it implies a lower cost overhead vs. DU replacements.

My SvC originally wanted to do an on-site repair of my DU for the highway hum noise, but after listening to the DU we also heard some electrical buzzing noise and that's when they opted to replace rather than repair. Sounds like they could have repaired the highway hum, but the buzzing was an inverter issue that prompted the full replacement.