Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1000w cooking hot plate using Tesla's 12V while camping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried to find this information over various Tesla forum posts and also by talking to the Tesla technical helpline, but looks like this is not possible at this stage due to the fact that the 12v connectors in Tesla are powered by the mini 12v battery and not powered by the big one.

Even DC to AC adapter (which can convert 12V to 240V and can deliver over 1000w power to the relevant appliances) probably won't work in case of Tesla because the 12v socket in Tesla can provide only 15amp at max which I think is not sufficient to convert 12v to 240v.

Looking for some pointers from someone more knowledgable in this area.
Anyone has used any appliance consuming 1000+ watts on AC using Tesla 12v sockets (using some sort of adapter) for any amount of time?
I am sure people have thought of this before, will be great to hear their experiences.

• Love
Reactions: deonb
There's no way an adapter will help you out, since the fused power of the 12V socket is 15A at 12V, or 180W. So, no matter how you convert the voltage, you'll not be able to squeeze 1000W out of a 180W socket.

Hopefully someone is more knowledgeable about whether or not the DC-DC converter is capable of having 1000W of spare 12V power that you can tap elsewhere (e.g. not from the 12V socket), or if it's possible to tap into the high-voltage side.

You use all sorts of fossil fuels every day.
Every day? Hmm, I'd better contemplate that and reconsider my lifestyle. I do own two fossil fueled cars that I use to drive the recycle to the dump. I own a home with solar power that produces 110% of what we use. I own another in an area that produces power from hydroelectric sources. All of my lawn care equipment is electric. I don't use aerosols.

You mean that I consume products that are produced using fossil fuels? True, I don't live in a hut. I can't do much about how companies make their products, really.

Every day? Hmm, I'd better contemplate that and reconsider my lifestyle. I do own two fossil fueled cars that I use to drive the recycle to the dump. I own a home with solar power that produces 110% of what we use. I own another in an area that produces power from hydroelectric sources. All of my lawn care equipment is electric. I don't use aerosols.

You mean that I consume products that are produced using fossil fuels? True, I don't live in a hut. I can't do much about how companies make their products, really.
Tires are made from fossil fuels, so technically tire wear counts as using fossil fuel.

Reactions: BerTX

Well, OK, if you insist on the poser route use an alcohol camp stove.

If the car is 'on/active' the DC-DC converter will charge the small SLA battery, and maintain the voltage at 13.5V. The DC-DC converter is fitted with a 250A fuse and supply power to the power steering, lights, seat heating and all the other smaller 12V consumers in the car.

I guess one could create a high power connection in the frunk (for example using appriorate cables, fuses and Anderson Power Pole / SB plugs), and use that to power a 1000W load or so.

150W? Let us know how it goes, seems too weak.
Yes, 150W looks too weak for any kind of cooking, tried few things including frying eggs but no gain, it can probably warm things but can't get anything cooked or fried for sure, so am returning the same. I should have believed one of the reviews on amazon for the same!

At this stage looks like there is no such option (without propane) to use in Tesla; after some analysis and looking at the responses here I think I will leave this idea for now. Thanks all for your comments.