Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100d is coming soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now they are only taking orders for P100D with ludicrous

Don't you think they will open the P100D non ludicrous first and then once demand fell for those move to the non-performance models of 100D

I doubt it. I don't think that a P100D (non-L) will ever exist. The insane/ludi difference came about because of the new pyro-breaker in the P90D that made it possible, and that the P85D could only get as a ludi upgrade. It's a concept that has run it's course.

Thinking about it more, the mostlijy available date is after q4 deliveries are possible and they are into q1. It would shake out more buyers for q1 and they can show more future orders.

Just not sure if that would cause production ordeRayo be cancelled at delivery. A clear negative.

I doubt it. I don't think that a P100D (non-L) will ever exist. The insane/ludi difference came about because of the new pyro-breaker in the P90D that made it possible, and that the P85D could only get as a ludi upgrade. It's a concept that has run it's course.
From what I heard, P100D Non L is coming at the same time with 100D

@xborg

Any updates on your rumors?
From someone anxiously awaiting 100D :)
No constructive updates sorry. But I may guess that it will be between 22 Nov - 15 Dec.

Reactions: mdevp
Not sure how it is in the US but P100D ordered here in the UK are actually P90D on arrival and then in 2017 they are retro fitted to P100d
The retrofit option was for people ordering the p90dl who have yet to take delivery and wanted to upgrade to p100dl at the time of the announcement.

If you ordered a p100dl from the start you are getting a p100dl on delivery.

From what I heard, P100D Non L is coming at the same time with 100D

No constructive updates sorry. But I may guess that it will be between 22 Nov - 15 Dec.

Really? Is the date based on information or is it your personal guess? If it were to be then, then it would have to be one of those" Every 90d shipping today is actually a 100d that you can unlock for X$" situations. Otherwise you'd have a wave of cancellations and they'd lose a pile of Q4 revenue.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Really? Is the date based on information or is it your personal guess? If it were to be then, then it would have to be one of those" Every 90d shipping today is actually a 100d that you can unlock for X$" situations.
That would be really nice. I'm taking delivery of a 90D some time in December. It has a VIN but it hasn't gone into production yet.

It's already unicorn-ish having long range with AP2 & unlimited free Supercharging. If they told me during delivery "Oh by the way, this is a software limited 100D", I would probably be the happiest owner. A full charge to 302 miles without SC tapering or degrading the battery, because that's already 90%? Yes please. I'd go on road trips for the sake of it.

We're assuming a 100D will have more range than the P100DL, based on the difference between the 90D and P90D(L).

Assuming the same range difference, the 100D could have a range over 340 miles, higher than the 315 for the P100DL. That's a significant difference - and enough to discourage us from even considering the P100DL (in addition to the much higher price).

My "classic" P85 has higher performance, but the same range as the S85 - at least in that configuration, Tesla was able to provide the performance cars higher performance, without sacrificing range.

If they weren't trying to get the fastest possible "supercar" performance, there might be a market for the longest range plus a modest performance boost, at a lower price point.

Though, overall, Tesla really needs to get the Model S and X prices down. The 100 battery pack may be the optimum pack size for Tesla cars on the supercharger network. With the Bolt selling for $37K and the Model 3 for $35K, both with ranges around 220-240 miles - it's going to be harder to justify paying $60-70K more for a comparably equipped Model S...

Reactions: Drucifer
Though, overall, Tesla really needs to get the Model S and X prices down. The 100 battery pack may be the optimum pack size for Tesla cars on the supercharger network. With the Bolt selling for $37K and the Model 3 for $35K, both with ranges around 220-240 miles - it's going to be harder to justify paying $60-70K more for a comparably equipped Model S...

Tesla is undoubtedly aware of that. If I were to guess you're going to see a lot of improvements to the creature comforts in the S/X as the model 3 hits the market. The build quality needs to be appropriate for a vehicle in the near 6 figure range. Otherwise there might be a major drop in demand for the S/X - which are selling at a very high margin right now.

I'm sure the Tesla marketing team is pretty stressed out right now trying to determine how they go about not killing the golden goose.

We're assuming a 100D will have more range than the P100DL, based on the difference between the 90D and P90D(L).

Assuming the same range difference, the 100D could have a range over 340 miles, higher than the 315 for the P100DL. That's a significant difference - and enough to discourage us from even considering the P100DL (in addition to the much higher price).

My "classic" P85 has higher performance, but the same range as the S85 - at least in that configuration, Tesla was able to provide the performance cars higher performance, without sacrificing range.

If they weren't trying to get the fastest possible "supercar" performance, there might be a market for the longest range plus a modest performance boost, at a lower price point.

The P85 and 85 had the same range because they were the same car. wk057 turned an original S60 into a P85 by replacing the battery pack with the 85 pack and turning on a switch in the software. There were fewer differences between the models of the original cars.

Today the S90D and P90D are different cars. The P models have the original large rear motor the rear wheel drive cars had combined with the smaller motor in front. The plain 90D has two of the smaller motors.

However, the performance of the 90D is on par with the original P85. The dual motors give it acceleration close to the original performance car and I believe the suspension is fairly similar to the original P85, though I think there were some differences with the P85+.

Tesla is undoubtedly aware of that. If I were to guess you're going to see a lot of improvements to the creature comforts in the S/X as the model 3 hits the market. The build quality needs to be appropriate for a vehicle in the near 6 figure range. Otherwise there might be a major drop in demand for the S/X - which are selling at a very high margin right now.

I'm sure the Tesla marketing team is pretty stressed out right now trying to determine how they go about not killing the golden goose.

Yes, Tesla needs to do something to distinguish the Model S from the 3, or lower the price of the S so it doesn't cost that much more than a 3 or they will see the market for the S vanish. People aren't going to justify double the cost for a car that's 10% bigger, with a hatchback, and possibly a little more range. Those are the only real differences as it stands now.

• Informative
Reactions: pjoseph
That would be really nice. I'm taking delivery of a 90D some time in December. It has a VIN but it hasn't gone into production yet.

It's already unicorn-ish having long range with AP2 & unlimited free Supercharging. If they told me during delivery "Oh by the way, this is a software limited 100D", I would probably be the happiest owner. A full charge to 302 miles without SC tapering or degrading the battery, because that's already 90%? Yes please. I'd go on road trips for the sake of it.
I belive that they haven't start selling 100D yet because of that they don't have get up production of 100 kWh battery enough and if so is the case it would be really stupid to deliver 90D cars with 100 kWh battery then they don't know if the owner will upgrade.

I belive that they haven't start selling 100D yet because of that they don't have get up production of 100 kWh battery enough and if so is the case it would be really stupid to deliver 90D cars with 100 kWh battery then they don't know if the owner will upgrade.

This is always the dilemma isn't it?

We don't know what the 100 pack capacity is right now. They were at 200/week a few months ago with the 100 was announced. It's certainly above that now. How far above? Nobody knows, but 4 months later it's reasonable to assume that they're getting close to what they'd need to supply the 100D.

With highly desirable options, they've historically announced after the option was already shipping. AP1.0 was like that AP2.0 was like that. The 70-75 upgrade was like that. The 85-90 upgrade was like that. The do it so that the people don't cancel in-production orders in large numbers - which could really damage the company.

Interestingly they didn't do it with the P85D and Tesla got walloped with people cancelling/delaying. I was one of them. I had a P85 on order at announcement, and I immediately cancelled/re-ordered.

Unlike the above changes, the market already knows the 100 battery packs exist, and all that's left is for Tesla to announce they are accepting orders for the 100D and the specs/price for a 100D.

Periodically Tesla will accept orders for some options that will push out delivery dates - such as the recent delays in getting gray seats, so there is precedence of adding an order that may not be fulfilled immediately. They could accept orders for the 100Ds today, and should be able to promise delivery before April.

With the announcement of the supercharger charging policy, I'm sure we won't be the only Tesla customers that will be very disappointed if Tesla delays accepting 100D orders until after December 31, which would be an additional price increase above what Tesla may charge for the 90D to 100D upgrade.

Unlike the above changes, the market already knows the 100 battery packs exist, and all that's left is for Tesla to announce they are accepting orders for the 100D and the specs/price for a 100D.

Periodically Tesla will accept orders for some options that will push out delivery dates - such as the recent delays in getting gray seats, so there is precedence of adding an order that may not be fulfilled immediately. They could accept orders for the 100Ds today, and should be able to promise delivery before April.

With the announcement of the supercharger charging policy, I'm sure we won't be the only Tesla customers that will be very disappointed if Tesla delays accepting 100D orders until after December 31, which would be an additional price increase above what Tesla may charge for the 90D to 100D upgrade.

Everybody here knows it. But I'm not sure how much of the larger market knows it. And even so, people react differently when the know that something is available on XX date.

I also don't expect them to announce before Jan 1st, unless they're not getting enough demand from the end of free supercharging. I expect that they will. And so the 100D will pick-up where that left off.

Of course, Tesla has a habit of pulling out the unexpected. :) It could be that in early Jan, they announce BOTH the 100D and the P120D, with the P120D being based on the 2170 cell. THAT would be cool!

Of course, Tesla has a habit of pulling out the unexpected. :) It could be that in early Jan, they announce BOTH the 100D and the P120D, with the P120D being based on the 2170 cell. THAT would be cool!
No! If they do that "everybody" would whining about "What about 120D? When will that arrive? I would be sitting on the fence until I can order a 120D! Will Model 3 initially be delivered with a 120kWh battery?" ;)

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: henderrj and Lon12
Everybody here knows it. But I'm not sure how much of the larger market knows it. And even so, people react differently when the know that something is available on XX date.

I also don't expect them to announce before Jan 1st, unless they're not getting enough demand from the end of free supercharging. I expect that they will. And so the 100D will pick-up where that left off.

They said under the introduction of the Gigafactory that the 2170 battery won't come to Model S and Molde X until the end of nest year, Tesla Energy and Model lll have higher priority. Elon have also said that they will probably stop at 100 kWh because it's just pointless to drive around with a heavier battery that you don't use most of the time.