Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100KW battery upgrade now available $20k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are exactly right, I just didn't push my tongue into my cheek enough for you to see it :D

The cost of the upgrade is still a sore spot for some new P90DL owners who have only a couple months use or less on their packs. I know that Tesla has extended the lower 10k upgrade fee to those who will be taking delivery soon and let them drive on their 90 packs for a "few" months until the 100 is ready. How is that any different from someone who just took delivery before the announcement?

You don't expect upgrades for free.
New products are offered when they are ready.
You don't like the new offering? Just put it out of your mind, ignore it.
Want something really unique? Find a custom builder such as Chip Foose.

You don't expect upgrades for free.
New products are offered when they are ready.
You don't like the new offering? Just put it out of your mind, ignore it.
Want something really unique? Find a custom builder such as Chip Foose.
I think there's a very small number of Model Xs that qualify for the 90 --> 100 KW upgrade for $10k, I know of one personally. Tesla offered them the upgrade in Goodwill to keep their orders and not cancel and order 100kw cars. Those who took delivery a few weeks ahead were offered the upgrade for $20k. I do not know of anyone who has done this? Would you?

wonder if this offer is available when the new batteries come out?
I hope something comes available. I'd like to keep my current car but do need more range and don't need AP2. Some sweet spot due to the higher energy density that results in significantly more range would be more attractive to me than trading in for a newer vehicle.

I hope something comes available. I'd like to keep my current car but do need more range and don't need AP2. Some sweet spot due to the higher energy density that results in significantly more range would be more attractive to me than trading in for a newer vehicle.
I'd definitely consider being a customer for an upgrade to my 90 pack, especially now that we are pulling a trailer.

Reactions: Jurnimon
Recycling 90 kw batteries should not really be an issue, there could be plenty of use left for a software limited 90 to become an 85, 70 or even a sixty. I would imagine the best way to do it would be to drive the car to the factory and have a special service line for swaps.

Probably not a real money maker but more of a goodwill gesture.

I would order a 100 kw battery for the performance upgrades to my signature red model x with ludicrous.

In the days when we all drove Pony cars I was able to swap out a short block and mount with some changes a big block.
Ford, Chevy etc didn't care so why is TESLA so dam hard nosed about anybody swapping out a battery. OK, I get there could be a cable issue. You know someone would try to run a hole lot of power through a wrong type of cable. So let the X#$% run up we car, Tesla has nothing to do with that. Once you mod the car it's your problem.

I'm in favor of being able to swap out a 40K for a 100K if some one can get it into the car. You should be able to restrict power out put to match the cable and still have a 100K usage.

The part I don't understand is why the MX 90D is still available as a custom order. Who would get a 90D over a 100D when the price difference is a measly $3k, much less than 3% of most MX configurations, to get more than 10% in extra range. Am I missing something?

Oh-sorry. The 1st bunch of posts said $20k. Has anyone been able to get a $3k upgrade? - after all, $3k sounds right if they were only adding batteries (mixing old w/ new?) , but to change out the entire pack for the bigger battery? I can't see that $3k price being applicable.
also, has anyone seen an MX EPA for the 100d without performance?

Oh-sorry. The 1st bunch of posts said $20k. Has anyone been able to get a $3k upgrade? - after all, $3k sounds right if they were only adding batteries (mixing old w/ new?) , but to change out the entire pack for the bigger battery? I can't see that $3k price being applicable.

Sorry I didn't notice what this thread was about. So for the $20k, assuming they ever do it, you aren't just getting 10kWh more, you are getting a new battery as well as the extra performance that the 100 kWh battery allows. There are also rumors that the seats may need to be updated, and who knows what else might have to be changed out to handle the extra performance.

Monroney label says 295 miles on 100% charge, 39kWh to drive 100 miles. EPA decided to trust Tesla on this and did not do their own verification.

EPA.jpg

Help me with t
Monroney label says 295 miles on 100% charge, 39kWh to drive 100 miles. EPA decided to trust Tesla on this and did not do their own verification.

View attachment 222301

Help me with the math. If the 100D MX gets 39 kWh/100miles, and if you have access to the entire 100 kWh Battery Pack, I calculate a range of 256.4 miles. I assume the 295 mile range is a test of actually driving the car in some sort of simulation from completely full to completely empty. That would be 338.98 wH/miles or 33.9 kWh/100 Miles.

Sorry I didn't notice what this thread was about. So for the $20k, assuming they ever do it, you aren't just getting 10kWh more, you are getting a new battery as well as the extra performance that the 100 kWh battery allows. There are also rumors that the seats may need to be updated, and who knows what else might have to be changed out to handle the extra performance.

Nothing else needs to be changed. It's a simple pack swap and config change.