TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
  1. TMC is currently READ ONLY.
    Click here for more info.

11 issues on new car - Tesla SC quotes almost $700 to fix 7 of them?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by dchobo, Oct 9, 2019.

1. lynnpt2001

lynnpt2001 Cookie Monster MX & M3

Yes it pays to ask on this forum before jumping to conclusions

• Like x 1
  2. CitiesSprinter

I hope you have better luck than I did with my issues which were similar. All of mine (similar to yours) were dismissed as "within spec".

• Like x 1
  3. Avid

Avid Member

As others have stated, it is a estimate, and don't sign it. I got the same process when recently I had the rear windshield replaced for the manufacturer defect, crack starting on lower edge. I got a estimate of $700+ email, didn't sign it, took it in for replacement under warranty.

If it's under warranty I'd wish they would not go this route, it gets people upset and threads like this get started. A lot of wasted energy.

• Like x 1
  4. boiler81

boiler81 Member

It sucks to get new car and have this trunk plastic scratched. However, for what it's worth, you'll add to those scratches soon if you use the trunk at all, especially if you load a 48qt cooler:(.
    Some entrepreneur should develop an aftermarket cover/guard for this area.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  5. Proflig8tor

Proflig8tor Member

My headliner did that and somehow fixed itself ...

• Like x 1
  6. dchobo

dchobo Member

Thank you all for your feedback and advice!
    I'll let you all know how it goes next Monday at the Fremont Service Center.

• Like x 1
  7. dchobo

dchobo Member

Indeed... the Tesla quote says hourly rate is US 195!

8. dchobo

dchobo Member

Toyota (our other car) calls it "Normal Operating Characteristics"!
    Did you try another Service center or advisor?

9. VRUNNER

VRUNNER Member

I have purchased 23 cars over the past 31 years, 26 of which came with warranties, new, used or certified. At no point did any of them ever send me or provide a work order with pricing to be signed in advance, that’s ridiculous. Prices are posted for both diagnostics and work that would be done out of warranty as required by law. It’s quite clear the OP’s car is both brand new and still under warranty. So whatever system they are using, it’s not correct.

And agreed on not signing anything.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  10. KenC

KenC Active Member

Can't see the paint issues, but the only major thing that needs adjusting is the door. The rest looks very minor. I hope the last comment about refusing or returning, etc were just sarcasm, because you'll never accept any car in the future, if that's how you really feel.

• Like x 2
  11. ry-ballz

ry-ballz Member

I can only find service paperwork on my previous car which was a 2015 Audi A6, and my wife's current car which is a Mazda CX-9. Both have language about charges for out of warranty work, the Audi specifically quotes a diagnosis fee and hourly charge. The Audi paperwork also specifically says that the loaner car is no longer free if it's out of warranty.

Next time you drop a car at service read everything you're signing. There will be language that you agree to pay if the issue isn't warranty. It's not uncommon.

Essentially, Tesla is too up-front about the costs if the repairs aren't covered. Everybody else buries that in the fine print.

• Like x 1
  12. dchobo

dchobo Member

No sarcasm. From numerous postings in this forum, we knew we had the option to (a) take delivery and fix things later (b) refuse delivery, let Tesla fix them first and bring the car back. We picked (a)..... Completely our fault... (ok this part has sarcasm in it).

13. alexgr

alexgr Member

After looking at at
    I think you need to fix only (1) the door alignment and (2) driveway concrete.
    Other issues look minor to me (but that's me), and I have found similar issues on my other new cars before.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
  14. dchobo

dchobo Member

haha true! maybe the $700 is better spent on the driveway concrete, which probably holds the value better than the Tesla. ;)

15. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member

A few of those seem a little silly to me. Some I can't even see what's wrong.

Like the bubble in the corner of the gasket. People need to get a grip.

They are more likely to butcher things if you ask for stupid things.

Also be careful, with any adjustments on FWD. Check the WHOLE door. Every gasket.
    If everything is perfect you might not want to mess with the chrome being off. They could mess up your door to get that to look pretty.

• Like x 2
  16. tvad

tvad Member

Yup. Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

• Funny x 1
  17. alloverx

alloverx Member

Perhaps take it back to the SC within 7 days and ask for them to be fixed or they can have the car back; that might get their attention.

• Like x 1
  18. dchobo

dchobo Member

Come to think of it... the "Schedule Service" link in the app only allows 5 photos to be uploaded.
    So maybe the Service Advisor, in a way, is only committing to 4 fixes out of 11 issues I posted in the description text.
    He can't commit to fixing the other 7 issues until he actually sees them in person.
    So he is just putting in a default "$97.50" charge for each of the 7 issues....
    I guess this is the "normal practice" at Tesla.

These are the 4 with "0.00" in the quote:
    Driver's side rear door, chrome trim not aligned at B pillar.
    Paint pimple on passenger side rear quarter panel.
    Creases on fabric of passenger side headliner frame.
    Paint clear coat issue near C pillar near passenger rear door.

Anyways, I'll know better next Monday,

19. Fernand

Fernand Active Member

I can understand not wanting to drive down Main Street in a car with all these imperfections. But I've gotten a bit of Tesla Envy and (more often) Tesla Hate stares in some areas -- they think it's a 1%'er car. So maybe Tesla is trying to protect you from both envy and hate with this eye-sore jalopy-look camouflage? Should you find yourself surrounded by a mob of haters (banjo music from Deliverance starts here), you can suck on your teeth, point at all your misaligned parts and they will understand you're little people, just like them.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  20. Wennfred

Wennfred Supporting Member

I recd some estimate invoices also for when the Tesla mobile tech came out to check on the defective CHAdeMO adapter, none of the estimate were charged.

Fred

• Like x 1