TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

12 Model S for $60k a piece?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Trnsl8r, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Spotted this on Craig's List. Haven't contacted the seller... yet. What say the collective braintrust, too good to be true?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4875635203.html

2. Crispix

Crispix Member

#2 Crispix, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    I call shenanigans. I bet he asks for a "refundable deposit" in order to verify that you are serious. And then it turns out to be not so refundable and the open house doesn't really exist.

Edit/follow up: surprised to see some of y'all think this is a serious advertisement. Gentlemen, it's a Craigslist ad. For 12 Teslas at $60k ea. With stock photos. Guy listing it also typed in ALL CAPS, which is required practice by the scammers union. He even set the evil bit to 1.

3. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I sent an email, we'll see. $60k isn't substantially below market rate, though, especially considering lack of Tech. We just had a huge thread this week to demonstrate to some 85kWh owner his car was worth $65k. He had more miles, but also had tech.

4. Zextraterrestrial

all options no tech. the cars were well under $80k new after Tax credits
    no ambient lighting or fog lights

seems ok, besides the pictures maybe?

5. flankspeed8

flankspeed8 Member

maybe a dumb question but if these are off-lease, why are they not going back to the bank for sale or auction?

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

The leasee always has the option to purchase the car at the end of the lease for the residual amount. I would guess that the residual is about $50K, and if he can get 60K per car then he pockets 120K on the transaction.

7. wts13

wts13 Member

Why do the photos appear to be stock photos (and very low resolution at that?)
    You'd think someone with 12 Model S on hand would be able to locate a camera.

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Seriously, a "company" leased 12 Model S all at the same time, and now the lease is close to ending? Was it a two year lease? It can't be a typical three year lease based on the S production history.

It sounds very suspicious.

9. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

For the year and mileage, the price seems pretty low and the lack of pictures is concerning. "Every option except tech package" seems really odd. I'm not dismissing it out of hand, but beware.

10. mynameisjim

mynameisjim Member

I didn't think leases were available in the very beginning. So it would appear to be a very short lease term.

11. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I don't believe they'd be well under $80k new after tax credits. They're listed as 2013, question is whether they were old pricing or new. Every option == leather seating, third row seats, higher accent/trim level, studio sound, etc. The 85 kWh battery alone was $10k above the minimum price of the vehicle back then.

12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I would say "beyond belief". That makes no sense at all.

Two of the photos shown are Tesla marketing photos. And two of the photos show cars with Euro shaped plates that have been blanked out.

The ad is a scam.

13. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

be careful. i know there was already an instance of someone here buying a used ~$65k tesla sight unseen and it turned out to be a scam (and they lost their money).

14. donv

donv Member

You don't have to lease from the manufacturer-- you can lease from a finance company or a bank. If they ordered a bunch of Model Ss right when the Sigs started coming out, the timing would be about right for a two year lease to be up now, wouldn't it?

That said, it might be a scam-- but you can go on the date and see. As others have pointed out, $60k probably isn't much of a bargain price for these cars anyway.

15. Zextraterrestrial

ah....my bad. somehow took the 12 and made it '12
    then added the 4+4 + 2 + 2 and got 10....what day is it?

meant that if they were '12s that is ~ok

16. Trnsl8r

He/she added the part about "no tech package" after I started the thread. That makes it slightly more credible price wise, but who in the world would order the car with "all options except tech package"?!? The Tech package is the most important option IMHO.

Suddenly became much less interesting...

17. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

I thought this is sold by Costco. Good price but you need to buy 12.

18. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

The listing has been flagged for removal, it appears.

19. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I've had three or four legitimate, by the rules, posts flagged for removal myself. That doesn't mean much, especially given the price is only a bit below market.

That said, I never got a response to my inquiry, so it's pretty unlikely to be legitimate.

20. Trnsl8r

I sent an inquiry too. No response.