Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v battery issue explanation, sort of...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly the same problem I had at about 5000 miles. However, I don't understand why they didn't boost your 12v to put the car in neutral. It's really tricky to do though:

While 12v battery is being jumpstarted, you put the car in neutral from the car setting menu and, very important, you then quickly turn it off from the same menu. If you don't do this, car will put the parking brake back. Really weird.

It would have saved a significant amount of time. At the time I had the car for about 3 weeks and simply didn't want "Billy Bob" trying to get the nose cone off.

My car had a failed relay support circuit inside the battery pack, so new battery unit was installed. Picked up car yesterday. Very lucky they had a fresh battery on hand. Tesla Service = the best!!

Dragging dead car: On dirt just drag it. The final drive can handle it. MacDonald's trays are great on wood or pavement. On dirt they might get ruined. Harbor Freight dollies are only good on concrete floors, btw.
--

Last edited:
The car itself I presume... He means really turn if off as in the way you can only do it from the menu in the car (not by exiting or locking the doors).

Yes, I meant power off the car from the menu. But you must do it quickly! See attached picture.

IMG_1230.jpg

Voltage for charging 12v battery.

Do not know how extensive this has been discussed before, is this normal and have others experienced constant charging of over 13.8v? The following owner seem to think it is strange to have such a high voltage constantly charging the 12v battery.
<span id="result_box" class="" lang="en"><span class="hps">
Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Voltage for charging 12v battery.

Do not know how extensive this has been discussed before, is this normal and have others experienced constant charging of over 13.8v? The following owner seem to think it is strange to have such a high voltage constantly charging the 12v battery.
<span id="result_box" class="" lang="en"><span class="hps">
Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Odyssey AGM batteries do show a float voltage between 13.5 and 13.8, so depending on what battery they are actually using this would be a little bit high but maybe not excessively so. A full recharge from a deep discharge can go up to 14.7. I think someone mentioned that the new batteries were red, which would suggest an Odyssey battery.

odyssey-pc545-12v-13ah-agm-battery-787-p.jpg

Odyssey AGM batteries do show a float voltage between 13.5 and 13.8, so depending on what battery they are actually using this would be a little bit high but maybe not excessively so. A full recharge from a deep discharge can go up to 14.7. I think someone mentioned that the new batteries were red, which would suggest an Odyssey battery.

Below is a page from the Batteryminder 12248 manual. Batteryminder makes one of the best temperature compensated charger/maintainers. There are two very important things to note:
  1. Lead acid battery voltage goes up as temperature goes down. You need a higher float voltage at lower temperatures.
  2. According to this chart, gel cell batteries need a lower float voltage, and AGM batteries need a higher float voltage than flooded lead acid batteries.

13.89 Volts may be just fine as a float voltage...

Batteryminder Voltages.png

Years ago I had the belt on my Ford Probe break. I didn't realize there was a problem until several days later when I was driving home from work at night. My car suddenly died and I pulled over to the side of the freeway and put it in park and ran the blinkers. The first tow truck that I called was incompetent. There was no way to get the car out of park without applying power and the tow truck was unable to provide a jump from the back of the tow truck. I ended up calling another tow truck company that was a lot more competent. Needless to say that even with the belt failure, after it was fixed the battery lasted 10 years. Of course I also periodically ran a desulfate mode on it with my battery charger which I think may have significantly extended the life of the battery.

My Prius is similar to the Model S. My Prius requires the 12v battery to get its heart started before switching over to the HV battery pack. Unlike the Tesla, though, it uses an AGM deep cycle battery. I ended up replacing the Toyota one with a better 3rd party one when it died. Fortunately it gave me a bit of warning so I could order an Optima battery and an adapter kit for the Prius.

My Prius is similar to the Model S. My Prius requires the 12v battery to get its heart started before switching over to the HV battery pack. Unlike the Tesla, though, it uses an AGM deep cycle battery.

The Prius battery is an AGM battery, but it's not deep cycle. Two or three drains kill it. That's why many Prius owners replace the OE battery with a deep cycle battery.

> I had the belt on my Ford Probe break. I didn't realize there was a problem until several days later [aaronw]

If prior gen cars had 'idiot lights' I wonder how Ford was characterizing their Probe owners (who apparently were given no indicators at all)?
--