TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

12V battery issue, service wants to replace DC-DC converter

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by hokie, Apr 26, 2017.

1. hokie

hokie New Member

2013 Model S 60

So yesterday I got into the car and saw a 12V battery low warning and thought, ok I am going to have to call service and schedule an appointment to replace the 12V battery after I get to work..... But turns out the battery is too discharged to even get the car moving. The main battery was fully charged to the daily limit 90ish%. I had no previous warning that the 12V battery was low and I had to be towed to the service center. Now that it is at the service center they want to replace the DC-DC High to Low Voltage converter ($2100 part $400 labor). The 12V battery is probably around 18 months old. Has anyone had to replace the DC-DC High to Low Voltage converter? On the one hand, I had no warning that the 12V battery was going dead, on the other hand it is 18 months old.

2. kort677

kort677 Banned

sadly the 12 v battery has been a weak spot for awhile. it is troubling that you became stranded but it isn't uncommon. it happened to me however I caught it quick and the service team was very proactive and they came out, took the car and returned it in a day after making the necessary fix. unlike you my car was around a year old and there was no charges for the fix.

3. miimura

miimura Active Member

If you are out of warranty, I would ask about core value and whether you can keep the original part. In the long run, these large EV parts like DC/DC Converters and On-Board Chargers need to be repaired or rebuilt, not just discarded and replaced with new. You could also look for one from a salvage and ask Tesla if they will install it for you.

4. GJ79

GJ79 Member

So much for the less moving parts and less maintenance claim. I feel you, I had so many issues with the 12 Volt message and it took them weeks to months to find the actual issue which was actually in the main pack. I hope for you they are right and it's just the DC-DC converter.