Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v battery issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got the warning that the 12v batter needs replaced. Does this limit supercharging. I’m at my usual supercharger and I’m on charging at 57mi/hr. Also it will not auto park anymore sine the warning came up.
Do *not* perform any OTA installs with a battery warning. During the install process the DC-DC converter will not keep your 12v battery maintains and it will be working hard on its own. Trust me on this. Get your battery replaced ASAP.

Reactions: RedXowner
Do *not* perform any OTA installs with a battery warning
I don't know if they have changed the algorithm in the last few years but I tried this in about early 2018 and it would always fail the update. I called tech support (when they actually answered the phone in those days) and they stated the car would not update when a warning was posted.

Reactions: SSedan
It’s 55 degrees and the car has been driven for 1.5 hrs? I wouldn’t expect the pack to still be cold?

Sometimes a particular supercharger cabinet has issues. Try moving to another one and plugging in there period that often solves the problem.

One advantage of my old 85 is that it charges so slow now it really doesn't matter if a cabinet is itself slow!

I don't know if they have changed the algorithm in the last few years but I tried this in about early 2018 and it would always fail the update. I called tech support (when they actually answered the phone in those days) and they stated the car would not update when a warning was posted.
Good point. Actually I recall that message now and they probably added it for clarity/safety. In the past couple of weeks I had a battery that was *close* to going bad and getting a message. My OTA failed. I jumped the car and was able to complete the OTA. Tesla support said my 12v was OK and not giving messages that they could see from their end. However, the next day while supercharging we received the message. ie.
z0kHQyt.jpg

Sometimes a particular supercharger cabinet has issues. Try moving to another one and plugging in there period that often solves the problem.

One advantage of my old 85 is that it charges so slow now it really doesn't matter if a cabinet is itself slow!

It was a bad cabinet. I wish Tesla would have a message that alerts you that you're charging on a bad cabinet with reduced speed. I went to a different location just now and supercharging worked just fine.

Reactions: henderrj
Good point. Actually I recall that message now and they probably added it for clarity/safety. In the past couple of weeks I had a battery that was *close* to going bad and getting a message. My OTA failed. I jumped the car and was able to complete the OTA. Tesla support said my 12v was OK and not giving messages that they could see from their end. However, the next day while supercharging we received the message. ie.
z0kHQyt.jpg

Yeah this warning also popped up for me too. I don't think it will even allow you to download the update anymore to prevent the problem with the 12v battery.

It was a bad cabinet. I wish Tesla would have a message that alerts you that you're charging on a bad cabinet with reduced speed. I went to a different location just now and supercharging worked just fine.

Another issue could be sharing. So if you charging stand 3A and there is someone is on 3B you split the amount of charge or get strange cycling of the charge rate.

I just got the same 12v battery warning this morning too for my MX 100D 2017.
The service was scheduled, but was delayed for 3 weeks because of back order on parts.

Is it safe to drive with such warning? I guess not, then 3-4 weeks wait is not really acceptable.

The service was scheduled, but was delayed for 3 weeks because of back order on parts.

Is it safe to drive with such warning? I guess not, then 3-4 weeks wait is not really acceptable.

It's unpredictable. Some batteries may last for days the most while some may last for weeks.

Wow, you all at least got warnings. Mine failed without warning as I was about to depart, driver door started to open then stopped cold in its tracks just inches open to the point where you can’t open or close it due to the actuator. Dead! Nothing works. Rotten egg smell in my garage. Car is only 16 months old. Makes towing difficult with door opened.

Set up Roadside Assistance from the app. They contacted me and said they couldn’t get a mobile service tech until tomorrow. This happened Monday and sadly it’s our only car since I got rid of our second ICE vehicle (Model S on order). Service center is 200 miles away.

Don’t take chances, get it replaced ASAP!

A few months ago my X was not updating the software, It would start and stop and start again.

I made an appointment because of this and the cause was a low 12v battery. The battery was replaced under warranty and everything worked fine after that. I didn't get a warning message about the battery being low.

Have you talked to someone at the SC about this issue? They usually make 12V replacements a priority and maybe they can give you a loaner. Your car will likely not last 3 weeks. Be prepared to have a dead Tesla at any point (make sure you park in locations where a tow truck can access your car). Keep a window rolled down and buy a jump pack for the car. Maybe even leave the frunk open at night.