Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V Battery warning just came up with very bad timing - how long do I have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder why Tesla didn’t go with LiIon in the first place for the 12V, a 4S cell would have similar voltage. What is the drawback? It can’t be that much more expensive as they make their own LiIon cells.
The main drawback is cold weather. They'd need to add an additional heating system to keep the battery above freezing. This would add weight, cost and additional vampire drain. Anyway, the 12V battery is now pretty good. Although I had a couple replaced during the first year, the current battery has been fine for five years.

The main drawback is cold weather. They'd need to add an additional heating system to keep the battery above freezing. This would add weight, cost and additional vampire drain. Anyway, the 12V battery is now pretty good. Although I had a couple replaced during the first year, the current battery has been fine for five years.
Lead acids can work better in the cold compared to Li-Ion?

So, these OHMMU batteries are totally compatible with Telsa's? Is the factory battery in a Tesla lead-acid, or Li-Ion??
Factory battery is a SLA, sealed lead acid. I would be cautious about changing to another chemistry if you will be in a cold climate. For instance, lithium batts in general do not like being frozen. AGMs will work in subfreezing temps.

Reactions: EVCarGUy