TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

12V Battery warning just came up with very bad timing - how long do I have?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by redox, Feb 10, 2019.

1. dknisely

dknisely Member

I got that error on my December 2016 low mileage S, and when I called, they said it wasn't a big rush, but just an indication to make an appointment in the near future. I would have been nervous if I were on a roadtrip...

2. iTech

iTech Member

If your 12V health isn't actually bad, a firmware (re)deploy will remove the alert.

3. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

I wonder why Tesla didn’t go with LiIon in the first place for the 12V, a 4S cell would have similar voltage. What is the drawback? It can’t be that much more expensive as they make their own LiIon cells.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The main drawback is cold weather. They'd need to add an additional heating system to keep the battery above freezing. This would add weight, cost and additional vampire drain. Anyway, the 12V battery is now pretty good. Although I had a couple replaced during the first year, the current battery has been fine for five years.

5. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

Lead acids can work better in the cold compared to Li-Ion?

6. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

7. rooter

rooter Member

Li-Iron has no such problem. And by its nature it can not spontaneously combust.

Oh sure it doesn't have quite the energy-density of Li-Ion, but it lasts twice as long.

8. aerodyne

aerodyne Member

Factory battery is a SLA, sealed lead acid. I would be cautious about changing to another chemistry if you will be in a cold climate. For instance, lithium batts in general do not like being frozen. AGMs will work in subfreezing temps.

• Like x 1
  9. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson Member

Thanks!