Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V battery. "Will I ever buy another Tesla? Guess."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is one unique problem of the 12V battery compared to an ICE car.
It is a guaranteed failure point. The ICE car has several other guaranteed failure points.
For my S - it has been 50% of my failures - so that is a big deal. For an ICE, not such a great percentage.

2015. First failure at 54k miles (3 years); Second failure at 80k miles (4.5 years). Mobile has come to my car 3 times - and this was 2 of them (other was Takata recall). It has represented 33% of my out of warranty costs. Went to SC for battery heater ($800).

With my N of 1, the failure rate is accelerating. Interesting how Brec had nearly the exact same failure timing - so now an N of 2.

The Ohmmu battery is a good buy unless you bought an old used Tesla and can't afford one.

It lasts longer, you have peace of mind, farther range, more reliability, better handling/braking, etc.

These differences are small but people are emotional not logical.
It would seem you pay over $1000 for every 10 miles of range increase (where you can do this, averaged over the years).

If you said to someone, do you want the bigger battery for 5 grand, the car goes 50 more miles, they would understand and most would upgrade. If you said, do you want 1 more mile of range for $100, the same person may say 'no, 1 mile isn't worth it'. It's weird. Clearly going from 250 to 251 is more valuable than 300 to 301 so the later 1 mile upgrade would actually be a better value.

My only point here is that people tend to quantify costs, even when small but they ignore performance gains when they are small.

Uhmmu ROFL

Don't fall for that snake oil.
Thanks Ostrich. I bought an Ohmmu but as soon as it arrived the latest software killed it. You get the same replace battery warning even though, the battery is supposedly fine. As of today I don’t believe there’s a fix. I’m gonna install it in my 20KW generator this fall when it it gets serviced. Sounded like a good idea at the time, but I don’t want my 3 showing codes all the time. Plus the reset for the codes currently is a major pain in the ass from what I’ve read. I’m sure the Ohmmu will be fine in my generator.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
Working on, as in dropping the pack and opening it up to replace the contact.
The Ohmmu battery is a good buy unless you bought an old used Tesla and can't afford one.

It lasts longer, you have peace of mind, farther range, more reliability, better handling/braking, etc.

It would seem you pay over $1000 for every 10 miles of range increase (where you can do this, averaged over the years).

If you said to someone, do you want the bigger battery for 5 grand, the car goes 50 more miles, they would understand and most would upgrade. If you said, do you want 1 more mile of range for $100, the same person may say 'no, 1 mile isn't worth it'. It's weird. Clearly going from 250 to 251 is more valuable than 300 to 301 so the later 1 mile upgrade would actually be a better value.

My only point here is that people tend to quantify costs, even when small but they ignore performance gains when they are small.

Tesla OEM...160 ish

Ohmu...416

To break even, the Ohmu would have to last....2.6 times as long.

Assuming MTBF of OEM batt at 3 years, that is 7.8 years.

Not including the loss of use of money during that time. I'd rather buy the cheaper batt, use the remainder to buy a share of TSLA after the split.

Reactions: Ostrichsak

the only point here is you have no ideas how cars work