Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v Trickle Charge needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The manuals take below. The reality, unplugged no sentry, around 1%/day for a Model 3 LR battery. A bit more if cabin overheat is in use. Approx 6%/day if using sentry.

upload_2020-11-24_10-21-6.png

• Love
Reactions: nrps1
I dunno really. If I leave it plugged in 24/7 then the open port area is just going to be rained on/in constantly for no good reason. Also the charge lead cap would blow around and rub the paintwork.

I have to assume that not every Tesla owner has home charging that the car doesn't actually need to be plugged in constantlly. Willing to be told I'm mistaken though.
The manual says to keep it plugged in, moreso when your not using it. Not ever car owner does have home charging, but if you do it is probably best to follow the advise. Mine is plugged in at home the majority of the time, the flap itself provides a bit of shelter, the plug being in then protects the socket, and I have a little cover I got from evaccessories to go on the ccs pins slot so they aren't exposed. Been doing it like that for over a year now and no problems at all. It is also an extra security feature as the cable is locked in and if someone did managed to break in and try and drive off they would also need to remove the plug, and figure out how to (there was some footage I saw before of an S and the thief couldn't figure out how to remove the cable). All in all, I don't think there is any issue leaving it plugged in out in the elements, as it is designed to be so, and they tell you to.

Reactions: Durzel and nrps1
I’m still unclear from this thread about best practice for optimising the life of the 12V battery when the car is not being used very much (like now in lockdown). Or, is it something not to worry about? I don’t like the idea of keeping it plugged all the time as I’d like to optimise the use of my Octopus Go tariff.

I’m still unclear from this thread about best practice for optimising the life of the 12V battery when the car is not being used very much (like now in lockdown). Or, is it something not to worry about? I don’t like the idea of keeping it plugged all the time as I’d like to optimise the use of my Octopus Go tariff.

Not worth worrying about, IMHO, as the 12 V battery is pampered when compared to a conventional car. Unlike a conventional car, if the 12 V battery voltage dips during a long period of storage the car will just wake up, run the DC-DC converter for a while and recharge it. As long as there is charge in the HV battery pack, the 12 V battery will be looked after by the car.

If you plug the car in and set the charge point to only come on during the Go off-peak period then the car will just wake up and charge, if it needs it, at the cheap rate.

Reactions: MadScientist
Thanks, looking at my Teslamate log, the car did wake for 2h in the early hours a few days ago for no apparent reason which could have been for battery management. My normal practice is to charge the car to 85% when it gets down to around 50%. Unless there’s a compelling argument that this is not best practice, I’m going to keep doing this.

Thanks, looking at my Teslamate log, the car did wake for 2h in the early hours a few days ago for no apparent reason which could have been for battery management. My normal practice is to charge the car to 85% when it gets down to around 50%. Unless there’s a compelling argument that this is not best practice, I’m going to keep doing this.

Not sure why you would do this when Tesla themselves categorically state (in the car manual) that the best way to protect the battery is to keep it plugged in. Unless that is you are actively trying to damage the most valuable component in your car....