Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 or Tesla Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it can handle unplugging periodically, like the outlet. What evidence is there to support the UMC end of the adapter is more robust than the NEMA?

I have no reason to believe it is less robust than a 14-50 outlet, and Tesla built it contemplating that users might need to change out adapters to plug into different outlets while traveling. So, I would expect it to be more robust.

Reactions: theeskimo
I have no reason to believe it is less robust than a 14-50 outlet, and Tesla built it contemplating that users might need to change out adapters to plug into different outlets while traveling. So, I would expect it to be more robust.

My point is that it is unreasonable to leave the adapter dangle unplugging the UMC from it. Now you have the adapter end which has not designed to be left hanging live hanging there live. What has improved vs. unplugging from the plug? That is designed for periodic R&R too.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I'm leery of too many in/out cycles between the adapter and the UMC so I never unplug the adapter from the UMC unless I have to switch.

But since I don't need the UMC in the car 95% of the time, I just use a 14-50 outlet and leave my UMC plugged in. I have never needed the faster charging (at home) that the Tesla Wall Connector would offer. That's not to say someone else would not. If, for some reason, I had to leave town in a hurry there's a supercharger within 30 miles in any direction.

I just don't see it worth the $500 for the wall connector. If I had to plug/unplug my UMC every day, I'd change my tune.

Reactions: Rocky_H
The Tesla wall connector can charge up to 80amps (with proper wiring and switch settings) so you have to balance your needs for %98 of your time with what your car can actually accept (does your car charger accept over 40amps?). I park outside and inside the garage so I opted for the wall connector mounted on a pole thats close enough to charge the car if its driven front end towards the house (its 24 foot cable can reach without inducing math level parking angles/positioning). Plus.. it looks sexy af (black wall connector mounted on black pedestal). If money isnt a top decision point then do it. If you are being economical then stick with what you have.

I’m looking at purchasing a Model 3 and want to set up my garage charger before I get the car. I’ll be using the M3 for local driving and charging it overnight with no need for fast charging. Do you guys recommend I just go with a 14-50 outlet 50 amp or buy the $500 Tesla Charger?
TIA
Just bought my model 3, 2 weeks ago. I purchased the corded mobile connector but found out later that the mobile connector that came with the car can convert to the 14-50 connector. All I had to do was purchase the 14-50 adapter which costs $35.00 on the Tesla site.
Now there's a problem with that as the 14-50 adapter is out of stock and has been for some time. I have a sneaking suspicion that third parties are purchasing them and reselling them on various sites for $50.00 or more.
I'm not recommending you not purchase the Mobile connector for $520.00 but if you want to save some money, I'd go for the adapter.
Right now, I commute less than 30 miles, the 120 outlet that came with the Gen 2 mobile connector works fine for me as I can pretty much get a full charge by morning (approx. 5 miles per hour). The 14-50 adapter will fully charge a low battery in 7 hours.
Anyone else having problems with purchasing the 14-50 adapter on the Tesla site?

Like what?

Not saying you are technically wrong but in practical terms I don't feel this is actually the case.

The other thing to consider when making a choice is is this going to be the only EV you ever own? A larger circuit if you have the capacity leaves room for charging 2 cars if needed later, yes you need more hardware later but running the cables is the hard part.
My motorhome, my Leaf? Back feed generator? Other high current electric equipment.

Even a HPWC will plug into it.

Just bought my model 3, 2 weeks ago. I purchased the corded mobile connector but found out later that the mobile connector that came with the car can convert to the 14-50 connector. All I had to do was purchase the 14-50 adapter which costs $35.00 on the Tesla site.
Now there's a problem with that as the 14-50 adapter is out of stock and has been for some time. I have a sneaking suspicion that third parties are purchasing them and reselling them on various sites for $50.00 or more.
I'm not recommending you not purchase the Mobile connector for $520.00 but if you want to save some money, I'd go for the adapter.
Right now, I commute less than 30 miles, the 120 outlet that came with the Gen 2 mobile connector works fine for me as I can pretty much get a full charge by morning (approx. 5 miles per hour). The 14-50 adapter will fully charge a low battery in 7 hours.
Anyone else having problems with purchasing the 14-50 adapter on the Tesla site?
With all the Model 3s being sold recently, I'm not surprised things are regularly sold out. My recommendation is to sign up for the email notification when it's back in stock and buy it as soon as you receive the email. When I wanted to buy a black Wall Connector, I saw it became available one evening and waited until the next morning to place the order; it was sold out by early morning. After that, I signed up for a Wall Connector and a 14-50 adapter. I was able to order both right when I received the email.

@captn_bob what I found was my local service center had a ton of these in stock when the website said the adapters were out of stock. The same applied to the HWPC when both colors were out of stock on the website for a brief time - my local service center had a stack of 20 of them.

Check with your local service center, and you might be able to snag one without waiting.

Some people severely underestimate the value of their time.

Even if I had free lifetime supercharging, I wouldn’t want to spend that much time of my life over YEARS dealing with the logistics of it. It isn’t totally “free”.

I can always make more money, but I can’t make more time.
I have lifetime supercharging with my Model 3, and I couldn't agree more. I installed a Tesla Wall connector as getting home and charging is much more valuable than stopping off at the nearby supercharger to get that last bit of free electricity. It's just not worth it, though I still take advantage of the free electricity between point A and B.

I don't think the $500 for the wall charger is worth the extra 8 amps in your situation. I normally drive 50-75 mi/day, and the 14-50 outlet at 32 amps is plenty fast. A "normal" recharge from 20-80% will take ~6 hours. Even if you run the battery completely down, it would take ~10 hours to fully recharge to 100%.

I don't carry my charging cord when driving locally, so I don't unplug it from the wall very often.

My point is that it is unreasonable to leave the adapter dangle unplugging the UMC from it. Now you have the adapter end which has not designed to be left hanging live hanging there live. What has improved vs. unplugging from the plug? That is designed for periodic R&R too.
I don't see what the problem is? I you look at the UMC adapter receptacle, you'll see that it uses pin contacts similar to the Tesla charging or J1772 connectors. The latter are rated for at least 10,000 mating cycles, so most likely the adapter connection is rated for frequent cycles too. The same cannot be said of consumer-grade 14-50 receptacles, so unless you need the adapter elsewhere I don't think it's a bad idea to separate the UMC from the adapter rather than unplugging the whole thing from the wall outlet.