Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

15 amp tail for mobile connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know for how long Tesla have been supplying a 15 amp tail for the mobile connector/charger?
The 15A (and 10A) tail are included in the Gen2 Mobile Charger kit supplied with Model 3's and Raven Model S and X.

Gen1 Mobile Chargers (also known as UMC's, Universal Mobile Chargers) that came standard with Model S and X pre-Raven, only came with a detachable 10A tail.

So to your question "how long", the answer is how ever long Model 3's have been delivered.

(maybe you should re-phrase your question)

Reactions: Jays200
The 15A (and 10A) tail are included in the Gen2 Mobile Charger kit supplied with Model 3's and Raven Model S and X.

Gen1 Mobile Chargers (also known as UMC's, Universal Mobile Chargers) that came standard with Model S and X pre-Raven, only came with a detachable 10A tail.

So to your question "how long", the answer is how ever long Model 3's have been delivered.

(maybe you should re-phrase your question)
Thanks. Do you know where I can get a 15 amp tail (for Gen 1 charger)?

@nuclearfusion The 3m tail is long enough to get you to hard to reach places and the cable itself has a thick rubber outer sheath, the plug has the screw thingy so you get a good purchase onto the caravan socket, that often times are well worn and don't grip onto the metal pins on the plug. Recommended.
It’s ok (hopefully). Tesla have quoted $49 for the 15 amp tail for the Gen 1 Charger. Will come back to me if stock still available

Also, as has been reported on the Model 3 thread the 10A tail with the Gen2 UMC only charges at 8A (labelled that on the plug) and the 15A tail only charges at 12A (also labelled on the plug)

I believe there is a small chip in the Gen2 tails that tell the MC control-box to limit the power draw to 80% of the maximum available.
@Nuclear Fusion - for which UMC are you asking about? if its for Gen1, then that was answered by @ARMARM , if for Gen2, then you already have the 15A tail in your Mobile Connector kit.

As a side thought - I wonder whether you can get a 15A 3pin plug connected to the Gen2 Mobile connector (in lieu of the CEE 3 pin) and see if it allows 12A as per original or 15A ???

As raynewman said, not hard to make one up. European 3 phase to TESLA adaptor, (available from TESLA-or used to be) length of 15amp graded cable (or even 3 phase available at Bunnings) european 3 phase plug, (purchased from a supplier in WA - google them) and the a 15amp plug exterior type with screw locking ring either from an electrical wholesaler or the web, (local ones are very expensive). Half an hour of your time and works like a charm on UMC. You get full amperage that the connector is capable of too. 16amps. The breakers are usually good for that.

• Informative
Reactions: raynewman
So turn up at Tesla to pick up the 15 amp tail for the Gen I mobile charger they ordered in & as expected it suits the Gen II
After physically observing my Gen I charger (they don’t know their own products) they will get back to me on whether there is a 15 amp tail available for it. 90% certain the answer will be NO.
Will use the aftermarket solution suggested above, with the advantage that it probably draws a full 15 amps, rather than the 12 amps on the Gen II charger.
Tesla customer service is the absolute pits. Truly crap.

Will use the aftermarket solution suggested above, with the advantage that it probably draws a full 15 amps, rather than the 12 amps on the Gen II charger.

If you mean this one then yes it will try to draw 16A.. so I would strongly recommend turning down the Amps in the car to 15A or even 14A, just to make sure you don't overheat the wiring in the wall as it draws power for a prolonged period, you can't assume it's in top condition.

Did Tesla make you buy the Gen2 15A tail?

Tesla customer service is the absolute pits. Truly crap.
We were all kids once.

If you mean this one then yes it will try to draw 16A.. so I would strongly recommend turning down the Amps in the car to 15A or even 14A, just to make sure you don't overheat the wiring in the wall as it draws power for a prolonged period, you can't assume it's in top condition.

Did Tesla make you buy the Gen2 15A tail?.
No, they kept it
I already have a Gen II charger bundle that came with the Model 3

We were all kids once.
Some were stillborn