Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

15 Model Y now available at local location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y had its price in china reduced from $42,051k to $37,800 due to weak sales. Why again is the price of the model Y in the US starting at $65,990. We are being gouged big time!
The $37800 model Y is the stand range Model Y. Long Rang Model Y is about $45K in China now. US tesla is the most expensive tesla in the world. I guess we have to pay the “Made in US price”.

GM, Ford, and Tesla all know exactly what a MPV and SUV are by definition as it's been written into transportation code for decades. They are the ones that submitted their eligibility lists to the IRS. The IRS didn't magically create new arbitrary classification rules to screw people.

They then are all incompetent - including Lord Elon who was apparently blindsided by this too.

Reactions: tangers
More fun context through data... As I noted above, Tesla manufacturers about 1,400 cars/day in the US, and they were delivering them as fast as they could make them in late December. Now that the incentives are gone, inventory is back up to its early December level. A little higher than November, but historically consistent. Tesla pulled-forward a ton of deliveries from 1Q2023 into 4Q2022. So, they should stabilize to their new normal after a few weeks. It will be interesting to see the inventory level and trend in February.

View attachment 892622
I'm not sure that I'd call it historically consistent just by going back about 1 month. Its a departure from what we've seen for the last couple of years. Delivery time estimates are the shortest that they've been in a long time too.

I just went and look at local inventory within a 100 miles radius I think. From zip 60504 and from Chicago and Bloomington, Illinois to Indianapolis, Indiana. They have about 31 in new inventories that can be shipped to any local store but I didn't see any 7 seater unless I missed it.
Yet they have EDD of Jan - March. Something doesn't add up there. They literally have cars ready to be purchased, no way they have 2 month backlog.

Yet they have EDD of Jan - March. Something doesn't add up there. They literally have cars ready to be purchased, no way they have 2 month backlog.
inventory cars and EDD cars do not reference the same database.
inventory cars can be used (trade-in) or new (built to spec).
the used cars are trade-in vehicles, off lease or whatever.
the new inventory cars were built in Tesla's attempt to offset the EoY chaos of tax-incentive focused people trying to delay deliveries into 2023.
just like 2022.....it's just this year Tesla tried to adapt to what they knew would happen. the unsold spec-builds are what you see. there aren't that many.
remember, Fremont makes 5000 cars per week, Austin 2-3000 per week.

I'm not sure that I'd call it historically consistent just by going back about 1 month.
I didn't. I actually looked back over many months. But the problem is that Tesla has been bringing plants online and ramping them up, so there truly is no "historical" to judge by, like you would have with more steady-state businesses. My historical was relative to the last few months. But it is up to nearly 700 cars today, which is potentially an all-time high.

I didn't. I actually looked back over many months. But the problem is that Tesla has been bringing plants online and ramping them up, so there truly is no "historical" to judge by, like you would have with more steady-state businesses. My historical was relative to the last few months. But it is up to nearly 700 cars today, which is potentially an all-time high.
That's fair. TBH, its hard to say what is normal and not as the last couple of years have been anything but normal in general. At one time, the Model 3 was also really common to see in inventory and the S & X were both really easy to get quickly.

This might be closer to normal overall.

Reactions: exxxviii
If Tesla did tie use of the SC to an expensive upgrade many would choose to purchase the CCS Type 1 adapter for $250 and forgo using the SC network.

My noodling:

In the US, Tesla could sell both a Standard Range, Dual Motor Model Y and a Long Range, RWD Model Y for the same price ~$54,990.

Also, in the US, Tesla could sell both a Long Range, Dual Motor Model Y and Performance, Dual Motor Model Y with 3-row seating. Expect fewer sales of the current 5 seat Long Range, Dual Motor Model Y and the 5 seat Performance, Dual Motor Model Y.
Tesla can only sell the AWD, LR, or Performance Y in 2023. They can sell any with 7 seats to get to the 80k limit. With 5 seats all have a 55k tax credit limit.

To sell a LR RWD or other MY Tesla would need to submit it for EPA testing, etc, which they haven't done for 2023's.

Tesla can only sell the AWD, LR, or Performance Y in 2023. They can sell any with 7 seats to get to the 80k limit. With 5 seats all have a 55k tax credit limit.

To sell a LR RWD or other MY Tesla would need to submit it for EPA testing, etc, which they haven't done for 2023's.
Do we know Tesla has or has not, or for that matter, what exactly, they've submitted to EPA ?
Are we privy to any of that prior to EPA providing public guidance ?

Model years are arbitrary. MINI Coopers will be 2024 starting in this March/April/May. Cadillac will be building 2024 Lyriqs in a few months for delivery ASAP.

Reactions: jsight
Do we know Tesla has or has not, or for that matter, what exactly, they've submitted to EPA ?
Are we privy to any of that prior to EPA providing public guidance ?
Yes, there is a public document search. Basic Search | Document Index System | US EPA Search for certificates of conformity or applications for more information.

Model years are arbitrary. MINI Coopers will be 2024 starting in this March/April/May. Cadillac will be building 2024 Lyriqs in a few months for delivery ASAP.
The point was not necessarily relating to the exact model year but that they haven't certified any other models for their current model year. When they switch to 2024, they still have to have a Certificate of Conformity for those vehicles before they can sell them.

Relating to the original post, there are 2 Model Y AWD (279 mile 4680 produced in Austin) available in Sunnyvale, CA on El Camino Real so they are shipping those cars all over the country now.

Reactions: advocate8
When traditional auto manufacturers find they have excess inventory of some models they have been known to offer a volume purchase agreement discount with one or more rental car companies to quickly sell off the excess vehicles. I can see Tesla accelerating delivery of Model 3 and Model Y vehicles to Hertz.

When traditional auto manufacturers find they have excess inventory of some models they have been known to offer a volume purchase agreement discount with one or more rental car companies to quickly sell off the excess vehicles. I can see Tesla accelerating delivery of Model 3 and Model Y vehicles to Hertz.
Hertz supposedly had an order in for a large quantity (100,000k M3) at a lower price than current MSRP (if the order hasn''t been fulfilled yet) so that is essentially a discount.

Hertz supposedly had an order in for a large quantity (100,000k M3) at a lower price than current MSRP (if the order hasn''t been fulfilled yet) so that is essentially a discount.
We don't know the terms of the contract. Until recently Tesla was supply constrained on the most popular configuration of the Tesla Model Y. Tesla may have negotiated with Hertz to deliver a minimum number of units per month or quarter with an option to accelerate delivery if both parties agree. A second discount on top of the first discount could be offered.