Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

150kW Supercharging for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hehe thanks, but I’m wondering if it’s not because my session started at a higher SoC than the others you have graphed so far?
So perhaps the ability to hold a high charge rate is not only a function of SoC, but also how long that high charge rate was maintained for.
Getting more examples of charge sessions at higher and lower initial SOC would certainly help characterize this. u/Wugz was curious as well and posted another session with a 40% SOC start point. It tapered before his previous session that started at 6%.

I didn't know you could add that column to TeslaFi. I always wondered why it wasn't shown. Here is mine. The previous data was me taking pictures of the charging screen while sitting in the car at the SC.View attachment 403555
Thanks for that. I updated your data on the graph. Yeah--TeslaFi is weird. Some of the default columns don't actually have data yet they opt to not include key parameters such as Charger Power. Nevertheless, the data is there.

Getting more examples of charge sessions at higher and lower initial SOC would certainly help characterize this. u/Wugz was curious as well and posted another session with a 40% SOC start point. It tapered before his previous session that started at 6%.

Ok, I’m in full recruiting mode for you :)

2019.12.1 Update

I asked them to post here if they are using Teslafi or other loggers.

Reactions: David L and Zoomit
Anyone have an idea how many V2 stations have been upgraded, and which ones?
It appears all the V2 Superchargers are now capable of 150kW. Since the rollout of 19.12.1, users of that version or later report that all of the chargers previously listed as 120kW in Nav now show 150kW.

So I'd say 150kW is the new norm for Superchargers. Whether your car can take advantage of that power is dependent on the car's software version, hardware configuration and battery temperature, not the Supercharger. (Ignoring faulty, overheated or shared stalls.)

Last edited:
\\\\\\\
It appears all the V2 Superchargers are now capable of 150kW. Since the rollout of 19.12.1, all of the chargers previously listed as 120kW in Nav now show 150kW.

So I'd say 150kW is the new norm for Superchargers. Whether your car can take advantage of that power is dependent on the car's software version, hardware configuration and battery temperature, not the Supercharger. (Ignoring faulty, overheated or shared stalls.)

Thanks, well duh why didn’t I think of looking at the car nav screen?;)

Looks like in AZ the “urban” SCs are still listed as 72kw but the ones along the major freeway routes are now all listed as 150kw.

Am interested to try it, and since my car is an MS 100D (now on 12.1.1) I think it may be able to use the full 150kw. No MS threads I can find in TMC on the 150kw SC upgrade, so apologies for cluttering up your thread with MS news;)

• Helpful
Reactions: Jbuntz
Alex Venz (@Petra) posted a video comparing multiple charge sessions, including with and without On-Route Battery Warmup. I included the highest power session in the graph below, but it only got up to 141kW so certainly less than others. The graph is getting a little busy, but I guess that helps see trends.

20190503 3LR V2 chrg.png

• Informative
Reactions: matija and Big Earl
The mph is meaningless anyway. Look at the kW.
Hey Texas, why do you say that? I can't really tell how long I'll need to be at a charging station to get to x miles of range by looking at the kw ... I get higher is better, but the number miles of charge added in 60 minutes / 30 minutes etc seems way more useful unless I'm doing a science experiment!

Hi all,

Kyle (Out of Spec Motoring) here. We did another test last night with 2 Long Range Model 3's (one dual motor one rear wheel) and had consistent results with what we were seeing. When we plugged our 3rd Model 3 in at around 25-30% it tapered much earlier. If it makes it easier I'm happy to post the graphs here so you don't have to rely on the poor video quality ones. We are happy to do as much testing as needed to learn how Tesla is adjusting the charging profiles.

Thanks for the info, Kyle. This confirms what I’ve been seeing for months. If you plug in at a moderate state of charge (20-40%), it will taper sooner than if you plug in with a low stage of charge (5-20%). I’ve consistently noticed this behavior on our Model 3 since we took delivery last August, so this is not new for 150 kW Supercharging. Of course, plugging in below 12% results in a slower ramp up time. The magic number seems to be 12%, at least in my experience.

It would be great to get a more detailed understanding of how starting SOC impacts overall charge profile. This would also help with the route planning algorithms @blincoln uses in www.abetterrouteplanner.com.

Here are our charging graphs (I know this a Model 3 only area) but included the 75kWh and 100kWh pack charging profiles as well for reference. We have friends and family with almost any configuration Tesla so if anyone wants us to test out anything let us know, we're all in this to learn together!

Kyle

3LR.jpg
x100d-1.PNG
75D.PNG

Attachments

• charge curve 2018.12.1.1.pdf
    54.6 KB · Views: 39
Kyle--Great to have you join the conversation. It looks like your testing hasn't been able to achieve the results show above by @Tz00 or @MarcG upthread. I'm not quite sure why. One thing I'm certain about is that Tesla charging is very finicky. ORBW helps that, most definitely, but to see the highest charge rates seems to require very specific conditions.

For example, it looks like your car started tapering around 25-30% after only peaking at 145kW.

We have friends and family with almost any configuration Tesla so if anyone wants us to test out anything let us know, we're all in this to learn together!
There's still a lot of uncertainty about SR/+ and MR battery charging under 19.12.1+. The SR+ and MR release notes don't include the reference to 150kW charging but I'm wondering if those batteries see any improvement.

It is very interesting to watch this unfold for sure. We have seen as high as 147kW on Ben's Model 3 (very early car well under VIN 500) but mine (VIN 3,000 or so) has had more supercharging on it. According to TeslaFi my car has done 2.6MWh of DC charging. Ben's is significantly less DC charging. I was also on the post farthest away from the cabinets for my charging session, whether or not this makes a difference I am skeptical, but it is something Don brought up last night (electrical genius).

What do you consider "slower"? Many of the examples above are sessions start out below 12% and reach 140kW within 2 minutes.

In my experience, it starts out around 60 kW below 12% and does not ramp above that until 12% is crossed, at which point it achieves maximum speed as long as the battery pack is up to temperature.

I don’t make a habit of plugging in in the single digits, so my data is a little spotty.

It seems like the V3 charging profile is not nearly as conservative as the current profile. I don't really understand why Tesla would be so conservative if they (presumably) intend on rolling out a more aggressive profile with V3.

Don't they already have the data showing it's safe and thus why they were ok with increasing peak to 150 kW?