Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

150kW Supercharging for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my experience, it starts out around 60 kW below 12% and does not ramp above that until 12% is crossed, at which point it achieves maximum speed as long as the battery pack is up to temperature.
The data in this thread does not support the existence of a 60kW limit below 12% on 19.12.1 or higher. The trend I see is that it starts around 60kW and sometimes pauses briefly near 110kW before reaching a peak. Kyle's data from last night shows a 3LR briefly at 147kW at 10%.

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 11.54.50 AM copy.png

Reactions: Big Earl
It seems like the V3 charging profile is not nearly as conservative as the current profile. I don't really understand why Tesla would be so conservative if they (presumably) intend on rolling out a more aggressive profile with V3. Don't they already have the data showing it's safe and thus why they were ok with increasing peak to 150 kW?
We don't know that they intend to rollout the more aggressive profile seen with the V3 demo. They could have found something that scares them aware from it. They obviously felt comfortable going up to high 140's kW with a taper at mid 40s %SOC. Bottomline, this is an incremental improvement, just like they do with battery/motor output and Autopilot development and so is not surprising to me.
Today I set the destination of the SC 77km away, and when I plugged in, it ramped up immediately to 137kW @ 32% SoC. Running version 2019.12.1.2.
This is a good example where it raises to a peak immediately (<1min) from a mid SOC. I'd guess your battery wasn't quite at 40C so it didn't go above 140kW. Just my speculation of course.
Any SR+ owners yet on 2019.12.1.1 or 2019.12.1.2 that used ORBW before supercharging ? Wondering if there are any changes regard to 102kW cap on V2 SC.
I wonder too but haven't seen any reports.

We don't know that they intend to rollout the more aggressive profile seen with the V3 demo. They could have found something that scares them aware from it. They obviously felt comfortable going up to high 140's kW with a taper at mid 40s %SOC. Bottomline, this is an incremental improvement, just like they do with battery/motor output and Autopilot development and so is not surprising to me.

This is a good example where it raises to a peak immediately (<1min) from a mid SOC. I'd guess your battery wasn't quite at 40C so it didn't go above 140kW. Just my speculation of course.

I wonder too but haven't seen any reports.
Perhaps the limiting factor isn't car-side, but the V2 supercharger itself. If memory serves right, there were no hardware changes (at least post power cabinets) from standard V2 to V2+150kW, so the same gauge cables are used at higher current running closer to thermo limit. Surely the heat/current would need to be monitored more closely and throttled accordingly. Would also seem to make sense of the data seen, where reaching higher peak rate led to earlier tapper, as V2 hardware struggles to manage the heat.

Just speculating.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
I just got the 150kw charge software today on my M3LR. But I have to ask.... it showed 500mph charge at 118kw before, why not show higher than 500mph when at 150kw?
Hard to say. We discussed this a little upthread but it seems like Tesla would want to emphasize accurate speeds to owners and possible buyers. I expect they’ll remove the 500 mi/hr limit in a future software revision. For reference, a 3LR RWD should show ~640 mi/hr at 150kW.

Since the speeds vary so much during a charge session, it's not simple to extrapolate those speeds over say 30 or 60 minutes. As a result, a number of people argue that those charge speed indications are disingenuous and advocate ignoring them. They're a direct conversion from kW and are more concrete than kW to most people, so there's some value, but I they can be easily misinterpreted. People see a rate with an hour reference and think the instantaneous rate will exist for the full hour.

They could change it to indicate mi/min which would emphasize the immediate result that is being achieved with the charge session. People can do simple math if they see 5 mi/min, for example: "If I charge for 3 more minutes, I'll get 15 more miles..." That math is harder if they see 300 mi/hr, which is the same rate in this example.

Reactions: OPRCE
Hey Texas, why do you say that? I can't really tell how long I'll need to be at a charging station to get to x miles of range by looking at the kw ... I get higher is better, but the number miles of charge added in 60 minutes / 30 minutes etc seems way more useful unless I'm doing a science experiment!
I can't speak for @TexasEV , but I can speak about the question...

Some of us mostly ignore the mph portion of that UI because (a) it's an average rather than an instantaneous-ish value displayed and (b) it seems that in the Model 3 at least the "mph" portion maxes at 500 even if the corresponding kW suggests a higher rate is occurring.

• Informative
Reactions: Missile Toad
This is correct. I’ve heard of a few others that also still show up as 120kW. Not sure why that is. But most are indeed listed as 150kW.

It would be very interesting to see rates drop back down to 120 above a certain temperature... Perhaps a cooling limit on the charging unit. Temp goes over 90 for example limits to 120... Perhaps during the summer we will see stations appear at 120 during the afternoon but 150 overnight and in the mornings...

Hey Texas, why do you say that? I can't really tell how long I'll need to be at a charging station to get to x miles of range by looking at the kw ... I get higher is better, but the number miles of charge added in 60 minutes / 30 minutes etc seems way more useful unless I'm doing a science experiment!
Because the mph doesn’t tell you that. You don’t get those miles in 1 hour, or half those miles in 1/2 hour. The power doesn’t stay constant over that time.

Reactions: Big Earl
Do you have a source for that? Strange that Tesla would change what the supercharger mph display means after six years of doing it differently, and not publicize it.
Sure, look at any of the video's I've linked to in this thread! Here's a good one that shows all three model displays at once. It's obviously a multiple from the indicated power. These are the conversion factors I've noted for the Model 3, using 30 or so samples to get rid of rounding errors:
  • 3LR AWD/P: 4.09 mi/hr / kW
  • 3LR RWD: 4.27 mi/hr / kW
  • 3SR+: 4.56 mi/hr / kW
You might recognize these units:
  • 3LR AWD/P: 4.09 mi / kWh = 244 Wh/mi
  • 3LR RWD: 4.27 mi / kWh = 234 Wh/mi
  • 3SR+: 4.56 mi / kWh = 219 Wh/mi

The graph is getting a little busy, but I guess that helps see trends.
Very helpful. I wonder why the V3 Supercharger has a different taper than the updated V2 stations. I was expecting that to be the same from 150 kW onwards.

addendum: discussed earlier in thread. Interesting speculation that the V2 hardware may be bumping into a thermal limit.

Last edited:
Very helpful. I wonder why the V3 Supercharger has a different taper than the updated V2 stations. I was expecting that to be the same from 150 kW onwards.
I think they're still being conservative with the taper on the 19.12.x profile, or they learned something from the V3 beta profile that scares them.

I have 3-4 more charge session examples to add to the graph, including first SR+ example. Stay tuned...

My takeaway from the SR+ data is that the improvement on 19.12.1.2 is very minor. It increased from a 101-102 peak to a 105 kW peak with a similar taper. As I mentioned in this thread, this looks like a scaled down version of the LR profile, commensurate with the relative battery sizes.

So both the SR and LR batteries are charging at the same C-rate with the 19.12.1.x profiles. When the SR profile increases to support V3 Superchargers, they will hopefully follow my "Optimistic SR+ V2 Prediction" line on V2 Superchargers.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric