Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

150kW Supercharging for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Zoomit here's a better MR charge cycle Data set: 7%-87%
ambient temperature 99°f 1513hrs cabin set to 72° auto

7% 50kW
12% 70kW
13% 117kW
14% peak at 126kw for .1 second settled at 121kW up
41% 110kW fans running medium speed
45% 103kW
47% 97kW
50% 90kW
55% 76kW
60% 65kW
65% 57kW
69% fans slow down
70% 49kW
75% 40kW 1545 hrs
76% cooling fans off or slow
80% 31kW
85% 25kW
87% 22kw
87% stopped +49kWh 1558hrs
Here's the updated MR graph with 19.16.2. This looks as expected for an MR battery with the charging profiles first introduced with 19.12.1. I would love to see an MR charging session on the new 19.15.11 profile.

As a point of reference, the power indication on the charging screen shows the power going into the battery and does not include the power for the cooling fans or other vehicle accessories. However, with an MR and SR+ car, there is still "overhead" available on a 150kW V2 Supercharger so any power used by the cooling system could be above 121kW. The LR cars are limited on a V2 Supercharger at high power levels so when the fans are needed, it must reduce the power going into battery. Also, the chargers and stalls are more thermally stressed at 145kW vs 121kW. I think that is why this MR session was so consistent from 14 to 40% whereas the LR sessions have more variability at high power.

20190528 3MR V2 chrg.png

Last edited:
More MR data coming in from 19.16.2. This is from reddit: thread. It has a 121 kW plateau, consistent with the @JuiceBx data but slightly later taper. The taper start was very near my optimistic prediction for the V3 profile (as shown limited by a 150kW V2 SC), which might be possible on 19.15.11.

20190529 3MR V2 chrg.png

Last edited:
Reactions: matija
A Better Route Planner posted Model 3/S/X 150kW Supercharging data on their blog. A couple thoughts on the Model 3 data:
  • It seems to match pretty closely with what we've been able to record on this thread.
  • It's likely they have a few results from cars on 19.15.11, which shows up as the later taper-- faint data to the right of the solid blue
  • They don't (or can't) distinguish between the LR, MR, and SR Model 3 battery capabilities.
  • They refer to it as "145 kW maximum" even though their dataset seems to include results at or slight above 150 kW.
  • There's a surprising amount of data from low SoC and low power (<50% and <50kW).
This is the Model 3 plot:
BT37.png.e67da95f48866a2e860907722471256c.png

I thought gen2 superchargers have a max output of 145 kw.
Tesla first said 145 but soon thereafter claimed 150kW. There have a number of examples of people pulling 150, even a few kW more, from the V2 stalls. Part of the variability is just due to line voltage. However seeing 150 is pretty rare as the power indication on that screen is what’s going into the battery not what the car is receiving. In the above example, it’s likely the car was using ~1kW for battery and/or cabin cooling and the car is actually receiving 150kW or more.

I went out of town on the weekend and pulled into a Supercharger with 62% battery and still got 115 kW! Pretty happy about that, it's funny the car is almost too efficient (lots of traffic and took almost 3 hours of driving) as I was looking forward to maxing out the charge rate (ORBC? was on as well) but happy I only needed a few mins and moved on! Can't wait to see V3 built out.

2 Weeks ago I did an ATL-SAV and back trip. Got the Precondition every time EXCEPT once on the way back to ATL at a Macon SC. Pulled in and was only one there. Plugged in and 25kW. Changed chargers and the same. Changed again and still the same. A Model X showed up and plugged in farther down. Depressed but decided to try one more charger and got 147kW/601 MPH. Quite a difference between 25kW and 147kW.:eek: Not sure if it helped to have 2 charging or what but was nice and odd to go from 25kW to 147kW with NO Preconditioning.

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

Looks like the FL superchargers have gotten the v2 upgrade with rates approaching 150 kw for my model 3. Did MIA to NC and stopped at Fort Drum Turnpike, Gainesville FL and Tifton GA before ATL and got well over 500 mph/hour at all 3 locations during the sweet part of the curve. Had been to Fort Drum on several occasions and never got more than 430-440 per hour. Incremental improvement to be sure, but I'll take it.
IMG_8379 3.png
IMG_8382 3.PNG

IMG_8387.PNG

Bring on v3 ...

2 Weeks ago I did an ATL-SAV and back trip. Got the Precondition every time EXCEPT once on the way back to ATL at a Macon SC. Pulled in and was only one there. Plugged in and 25kW. Changed chargers and the same. Changed again and still the same. A Model X showed up and plugged in farther down. Depressed but decided to try one more charger and got 147kW/601 MPH. Quite a difference between 25kW and 147kW.:eek: Not sure if it helped to have 2 charging or what but was nice and odd to go from 25kW to 147kW with NO Preconditioning.

View attachment 426535
View attachment 426536
View attachment 426538

The first Supercharger you plugged into was probably in need of service or there was another car paired with the one you plugged into.

The first Supercharger you plugged into was probably in need of service or there was another car paired with the one you plugged into.
Was the only car there when I plugged into the first one. So what about the 2ed one or the 3ed one (I think I tried A-B-A-A) ? 4th was the charm. An X pulled in sometime between 2 and 4 but was several away.

Is it possible that since no one was using and maybe the first of the day (it was early in the morning) that maybe the SC system needs time to come up to speed?

Was the only car there when I plugged into the first one. So what about the 2ed one or the 3ed one (I think I tried A-B-A-A) ? 4th was the charm. An X pulled in sometime between 2 and 4 but was several away.

Is it possible that since no one was using and maybe the first of the day (it was early in the morning) that maybe the SC system needs time to come up to speed?

No - it should work full as expected the first time, even after sitting empty all night. The first one must have had a problem, which could range from a worn out connector to cooling problems within the charger to failed charging units within the charger.