Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

15A outlet installation in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my garage, I have a 12 A outlet and I am considering to install a 15A outlet so that I can charge 'slightly' quicker.

My questions are -
1. How much quickly does it charge? (12 A vs 15 A)
2. The electrician has quoted $800 to install the 15A outlet as it needs a dedicated circuit apparently. Do we need a separate dedicated circuit? Is $800 reasonable

I assume you mean you have a 10A outlet (the common Aus one).
It will charge at approx 2.3kW (230V * 10A).
A 15A outlet will charge 50% quicker (approx 3.5kW), or alternately put the same amount of energy in in 2/3 the time.

(Assuming you have a Tesla UMC with 10A and 15A tails).

Reality is any continuous (or near continuous) load should be on its own circuit anyway, though many will charge off a lightly loaded existing circuit in a garage (most likely a handful of 10A plugs on a 20A breaker).

Depending on overall power supply a 32A outlet might not be much more than a 15A outlet.

Reactions: cafz
Yep if you're paying labour anyway for a new dedicated circuit, get a 32A run with a 3 phase round socket wired to single phase and get a 3 phase tail for the UMC. Will charge at 7kw max then.

Is what I did in my last house. Cost difference was negligible and ability to charge must faster if you need to or take more advantage of off peak or cheap charge times or solar.

Reactions: louco73