Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a thread in the S forum about a fix for AIr Conditioning issues... I'm wondering if this is it. Seems like quite a code jump (in number...)!
And, doh, I'm told over at reddit that the release numbers are nothing more than the year and week when it was produced. Well, of course they are. Looks like the new series is just that, so it's been three weeks since 8.1 came out the first time (17.11.3 and 10), and we now have 17.14.x of course. Makes a lot more sense than the old scheme.

• Informative
Reactions: BigMskiman
Autopilot worked just fine before the upgrade, sometimes the functionality goes back to normal and the car drives itself from Oakland to Redwood City (office to home) without any problems. I don't think it could be any loose connectors in this case

I got a call from Tesla Service in Palo Alto, CA today, they examined the log and it's known the issue, told me the issue is resolved in the next firmware update, I assume 17.14.23. Told me I can bring the car to a server and they can force push the upgrade if I want to.
I stopped by the Tesla SC in Burlingame, CA on my way to work today and asked if the can push the upgrade to my car (explained the situation).
They ran the standard procedure and pull the logs from the car, it looks like they do it no matter what your issue is. After couple minutes technician told me firmware update is not going to fix the problem because camera and radar see different things and I need to schedule an appointment and bring the vehicle to the service (again?).

I' not sure what to make out of it. :-/

I got a call from Tesla Service in Palo Alto, CA today, they examined the log and it's known the issue, told me the issue is resolved in the next firmware update, I assume 17.14.23. Told me I can bring the car to a server and they can force push the upgrade if I want to.
I stopped by the Tesla SC in Burlingame, CA on my way to work today and asked if the can push the upgrade to my car (explained the situation).
They ran the standard procedure and pull the logs from the car, it looks like they do it no matter what your issue is. After couple minutes technician told me firmware update is not going to fix the problem because camera and radar see different things and I need to schedule an appointment and bring the vehicle to the service (again?).

I' not sure what to make out of it. :-/
I updated 17.14.23 but it is not working.

• Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing
I received the 8.1 upgrade almost two weeks ago on an inventory car I had taken delivery of 2 weeks before that. AP never stopped working, but also never updated to be available over 55mph. Autosteer was as good and as bad as before on 8.0. After driving ~300 miles on well marked highways, I decided to try to engage autosteer at 65mph, just to see the message. The message on the dash said "Call Tesla Service for manual calibration." The car is in the service center now. Mechanic said the issue is cameras being aligned incorrectly and not being "fully calibrated" before leaving the factory. The problem is seen on a "range of dates" at the factory, apparently quite a few recent AP2 cars. He said it's something they can diagnose remotely.

My AP2 model x still has no AP. Did the SC acknowledge that the engineering team is aware of this issue and is working towards a solution? It seems like "camera needs calibration" is an excuse that is being provided by the SC and they have no idea what's going on.

For some reason, this is not being highlighted as much as it should.

There's a whole thread about missing AP after 8.1 on HW2 cars. Would be great for you to add your experiences there.

Can someone please clarify the effect of 17.14.23 on AP1 (not AP2) cars? Is Tesla done improving AP1? Thanks.

I haven't noticed any changes to AP1 functionality on ours. But AP1 is pretty much done, at its max operational capacity, and we shouldn't expect it to improve much more. The lane keep ability it has now will stay about the same, actually just as good as AP2 for now it seems. Both have issues in bright sun, rain/shiny roads, construction/no well lined roads, etc.

Can someone please clarify the effect of 17.14.23 on AP1 (not AP2) cars? Is Tesla done improving AP1? Thanks.
An an AP1 owner:

Other than futzing with speed limits, I've noticed no changes to AP1 performance since the ~2.52.xxx release. 8.0 was a huge improvement for TACC and allowed AP1 to control the throttle/brake basically as well as a human. But it also severely regressed autosteer's ability to follow curves in sunlight. They finally fixed that in a dot release before Christmas, and since then I had not noticed any improvements to AP1.

This second 8.1 update attempted to fix numerous bugs. AP calibration being one. FW door controls disappearing with non-PUP MX. Etc.

If I were to guess, the software update was tested on a couple models but with all of the different options and versions, some of us served as additional beta testers.

Here is my FW control screen before the second update:
IMG_0893.JPG