Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i bet they dont push it out to all the cars at once for risk if theres some major catastrophe that bricks cars, they dont end up bricking every tesla on the road at once.

Yes, this has always been true. However, they generally get it to all cars in about 3 days if they want it to go fleet wide. It's pretty continuous.

This appears to have hit a group of cars yesterday morning, and then has been halted. It's either a very limited roll out on purpose or they found something and stopped it. Basically nobody has gotten it today, which is odd for even limited releases because they usually roll out to specific VINs and people end up getting to it over a few days.

If they were rolling it out super limited on purpose. it's not very cool of them to tweet about how it's better than before and not mention that it's a highly limited roll out. At least Elon did that back in Dec when they first "released" AP2 to less than 5% of the fleet and took 3 weeks to get to the rest of the cars.

Reactions: gowthamn and jouyun
I was in the original 1000, but I guess I've lost my "elite" status!!
Still on 17.11.10 now
Wouid love to try the new firmware
Waiting less than patiently
Seems like a very slow rollout

Ditto. I got that first update 1 day after getting the car, but since then it seems like I have to wait longer and longer every time. Ah, well, can't win them all.

Reactions: TechVP
Is there a law that states you have to keep your hands on the wheel? I've never heard of it. What about people that have no hands, are they breaking the law?

its one of those regulations to prevent people from suing Tesla when they invariably crash for not having their hands on the wheel in an unavoidable situation. Americans sue and whine about everything. its why every car i've ever had with a navigation system makes me acknowledge and promise i wont program the GPS while the car is moving (and then wont even let anyone else do it either). Was pleasantly surprised when Tesla had no such restrictions.

Autosteer is meant as driver assistance, not a driver replacement.

Is there a law that states you have to keep your hands on the wheel? I've never heard of it. What about people that have no hands, are they breaking the law?

I don't know about a law to that effect, but there are lots of laws about distracted driving now, and AP doesn't relieve the requirements of those laws.

More to the point, though, Tesla's current system of reminders was instated following a fatal crash and after review and approval by NHTSA, and was a key component of NHTSA's acceptance and endorsement of Autopilot.

That's why I think it'll stay a part of Autopilot at least until FSDC starts to operate on freeways and possibly beyond.

Tesla allows you to go five times longer than anyone else I've read about without feeling your hand on the wheel, and doesn't use internal cameras to enforce where you're looking - in addition to being the most capable system to date, it's also the least intrusive to date (except for the original version from Tesla, which wouldn't pass NHTSA muster.)

• Informative
Reactions: ShannonMac
I don't know about a law to that effect, but there are lots of laws about distracted driving now, and AP doesn't relieve the requirements of those laws.

More to the point, though, Tesla's current system of reminders was instated following a fatal crash and after review and approval by NHTSA, and was a key component of NHTSA's acceptance and endorsement of Autopilot.

That's why I think it'll stay a part of Autopilot at least until FSDC starts to operate on freeways and possibly beyond.

Tesla allows you to go five times longer than anyone else I've read about without feeling your hand on the wheel, and doesn't use internal cameras to enforce where you're looking - in addition to being the most capable system to date, it's also the least intrusive to date (except for the original version from Tesla, which wouldn't pass NHTSA muster.)

Makes sense. I liked the test drive of the AP1 without the nag screens. Later I think it was changed to a 3 minute nag with AP1. We now have a 1 minute nag with AP2.

Makes sense. I liked the test drive of the AP1 without the nag screens. Later I think it was changed to a 3 minute nag with AP1. We now have a 1 minute nag with AP2.

Has that 1 minute been confirmed with a stopwatch, or is it someone's gut impression? Is it consistent in all conditions?

I'm kinda surprised it's anything different than the 2:10/3 minute AP1 set when in good conditions (AP1 will prompt more often than that in conditions it's not happy with.)

Good question because sometimes it seems even shorter than 1 minute. Maybe it is on condition + a fixed timer.

That's how AP1 works - slightly over 2 minutes fixed if it isn't following a car near the two minute mark, three minutes if it is, and then on condition when conditions are worse (I've seen every 16 seconds for six prompts in a row once when AP1 really wasn't happy with what seemed like a perfectly ordinary area to me.)

• Informative
Reactions: oktane
With AP2 you definitely need to keep at least a thumb and finger on the steering wheel at all times. Not because there is a law but because the car will suddenly swerve right or left for no good reason and if you don't have your fingers on the wheel, you could Lose Control of the car. Everybody that drives a Tesla with autopilot should know that. AP1 is safer but not 100% yet.