Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What baffles me is that TACC, under the name adaptive cruise control, is a mature and reliable feature of other car brands going back more than five years. Why is it so hard for Tesla?

I find that most other ACC systems from other car brands err on the side of assuming there's no collision, while Tesla's tries harder and errs on the side of caution. That's the key difference.

For cars that drift into my lane during a turn or a stopped car that's half-overlapped into my lane, my Audi ACC system didn't flinch at all and happily continued maintaining its speed. One can argue whether that's more or less desirable than what Tesla tries to do, but there's merits to both approaches.

Re erring on the side of caution, perhaps the fatal event last year caused Tesla to react by becomimg too conservative. On the other hand, hard braking for no good reason can itself cause an accident, as an earlier poster related, so that approach can backfire.

I drove a 2013 Audi A6 with all available bells and whistles before getting my Tesla, and I currently have an Acura MDX. In both cases the autosteer ("lane keeping assist") is fairly primitive, but the ACC beats my pre-17.17.4 AP2 experience.

Re erring on the side of caution, perhaps the fatal event last year caused Tesla to react by becomimg too conservative. On the other hand, hard braking for no good reason can itself cause an accident, as an earlier poster related, so that approach can backfire.

I drove a 2013 Audi A6 with all available bells and whistles before getting my Tesla, and I currently have an Acura MDX. In both cases the autosteer ("lane keeping assist") is fairly primitive, but the ACC beats my pre-17.17.4 AP2 experience.

I agree, but after 2000 miles on AP2 the only "hard" braking I've seen was maybe 50% braking force at max for 1-2 seconds, reduction in speed by 10mph. If this causes an accident, it would be a minor fender bender. Slightly better than a high speed differential partial-offset collision.

I had a 2014 A6 with ACC for 40,000 miles before my AP1 Tesla…. I would generally agree but at the same time, I've had a number of frightening situations with the Audi ACC where a car came into my lane and started braking, and Audi's ACC actually slowly started speeding up. And it would actually lose track of the car in front in slowly moving traffic and suddenly start rocketing towards the car in front.

Stop and go ACC in the A6 gave me far more heart attacks than AP2, at least for Californian commute driving.

(Don't get me wrong, AP2's sudden hesitation/braking scares me too. I hope they're doing more work to fix that. Right now, AP2 has a difficult problem assigning which lane a detected car is in, especially if the car is more than ~10 car distances ahead)

I agree, but after 2000 miles on AP2 the only "hard" braking I've seen was maybe 50% braking force at max for 1-2 seconds, reduction in speed by 10mph. If this causes an accident, it would be a minor fender bender. Slightly better than a high speed differential partial-offset collision.

I had a 2014 A6 with ACC for 40,000 miles before my AP1 Tesla…. I would generally agree but at the same time, I've had a number of frightening situations with the Audi ACC where a car came into my lane and started braking, and Audi's ACC actually slowly started speeding up. And it would actually lose track of the car in front in slowly moving traffic and suddenly start rocketing towards the car in front.

Stop and go ACC in the A6 gave me far more heart attacks than AP2, at least for Californian commute driving.

(Don't get me wrong, AP2's sudden hesitation/braking scares me too. I hope they're doing more work to fix that. Right now, AP2 has a difficult problem assigning which lane a detected car is in, especially if the car is more than ~10 car distances ahead)

I have had similar experiences. Neve a full on "slam on the brakes" like other have mentioned. That would be quite scary. I wish there were some of those situations videos to actually see. I have a little over 4,000 on TACC with HW2. I have experienced the (what I would refer to as) a 1/2 brake check to somebody bishops you. If my takes "slammed on" at 75mph I would probably have whiplash or seatbelt burns from that dramatic of a stop. Worst I have experienced in all those miles is the feeling of someone just pumping the brakes that little bit too hard but never a full on all the way stop on the expressway like others have reported.

Finally did more local autosteer today, and man was it scary. For the first time in 6 months I was disappointed with my car. The way the car takes turns is just not safe. Many times it felt like it was going to veer into oncoming traffic, went over the center line, or just felt like it was going to go straight off the road. Markings were clear, shouldn't have been an issue. Some areas were fine, but others, especially at higher speeds it was essentially unusable without an extra pair of underwear handy.

Lot of improving to go until we see L3, let alone L4 or L5. Still hopeful, but a little less so today

What baffles me is that TACC, under the name adaptive cruise control, is a mature and reliable feature of other car brands going back more than five years. Why is it so hard for Tesla?

I think you may be greatly overestimating what other "mature and reliable" ACCs can do. Up until the last few years, almost all of them cut out at 8-10 mph and couldn't be engaged until the car was well above that.

Here's an interesting video a seriously overachieving 2017 Volt owner put together after reverse engineering the CANBus signals from his ACC. As you watch, look at how much the radar's understanding of where cars are jumps around, and how often the same car picks up a new ID#.

Long range radar

I have tried auto steer limited time, but it's scary and tends to steer to crash, granted the road marking in north dallas is not always continuous and good. On my 2016 VW, the ACC is very conservative, if a car cuts in, it will slow down but catching up is slow and I have to give it a boost, it doesn't have AEB but has forward collision warning (pre charge brake) which is faster than the Tesla and much more louder and obvious than Tesla. One thing I really dislike is the useless blind spot monitor in the Tesla, even if I manage to discover it in the dash, it's way too late and too close. The technology is still evolving, Mercedes seems to be somewhat more comfortable/reasonable to use than others - either too conservative or too easy to freakout.

I just don't get it...Really, I do not understand how these updates work. I guess I'm to use to how Apple updates their phones. I'm still on 17.11.45. Car has been connected to my home wi-fi ever since this started pushing out (all day/all night) since I'm out of town away on business, and yes it's the only thing on my guess network. When 17.11.45 came out, I got it on the 2nd day, but now nothing.....SMH.

So maybe this is how it works...You wait for it, and wait for it, and wait for it...Vent on TMC about still waiting for it...and then BAM it drops...!

Attachments

• IMG_1480.PNG-1.png
    IMG_1480.PNG-1.png
    668.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Disagree
Reactions: gowthamn
Finally did more local autosteer today, and man was it scary. For the first time in 6 months I was disappointed with my car. The way the car takes turns is just not safe. Many times it felt like it was going to veer into oncoming traffic, went over the center line, or just felt like it was going to go straight off the road. Markings were clear, shouldn't have been an issue. Some areas were fine, but others, especially at higher speeds it was essentially unusable without an extra pair of underwear handy.

Lot of improving to go until we see L3, let alone L4 or L5. Still hopeful, but a little less so today

I've never liked the Autosteer. ALways pulls to the right and plain scary. My Mercedes Benz S550 drives very nicely between the lines.

Reactions: gowthamn
While using the auto high beam I noticed some weird things which led me to try something. Cover up all the front cameras.
Voila the AHB still worked just like it did before, meaning Tesla decided to make it radar based? This would explain why it's a bit late to activating/deactivating the high beams.

It's really interesting that they decided to do this. Maybe its easier for them to get the software out now while they're still trying to figure out the vision based stuff. Wonder if they'll try to use the radar to detect rain and give us auto wipers ;)

I could be completely wrong so I guess someone else needs to give is a try

• Funny
Reactions: croman