Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You probably just jinxed me, but no accidents today so I think I'm doing fine. Driving is basically the most relaxing thing I do and it is completely automatic to me.

If you have to think while driving it must not be second nature to you. That's like saying you have to think when you walk.

Well, I hope you don't ever get into an accident or cause someone else to do so due to inattention while driving.

Reactions: NerdUno and oktane
Tried, (and filmed), 17.17.4 back to back with 17.11.10 on the same twisting local road this evening. In my opinion no difference in performance or the need to pay attention. In some instances 17.17.4 would seem more cautious and alarm me to intervene where previous version would keep on going. Lane markers seem more stable, but car still drifts. Big problem is that it still drifts to the outside in turns as in old version. Not impressed with local road performance.

If you're not thinking while you're behind the wheel, then you're not a very safe driver either.

I disagree. With sufficient practice the human brain relegates many activities to a near-subconscious level. Performance in this state is enhanced, not degraded. Psychologists call this altered state "flow". See a full description here:
Flow (psychology) - Wikipedia

Ask anyone with a regular commute if they've ever arrived at home or office without a clear memory of how they got there. That's the kind of non-thinking that @oktane was referring to, and it doesn't interfere with the ability to react to emergencies.

Anyone take this update out for a spin? Curious mainly about the autosteer enhancements and the local road performance in sharp corners, lane changing on local roads, etc
I had a limited test drive. Autosteer works on local roads above 35, but for me it was much scarier than on highways (but that's me. Still in a learning curve with AP). Didn't trust it to take a very tight curve, mainly because of traffic. Mine would not change lanes on local roads. It has been able to on highways since increase to over 55. Very exciting update. Now I want it to recognize stop signs and lights. And maybe pedestrians.

My MX100D (AP2) with 17.17.4 went into the service center today. They lent me a MS75P (AP1). This is the first AP1 car I have driven.

Woah! What a difference. The Autopilot on AP1 is massively smoother. My girlfriend just kept talking about how much better and smoother it is. How much more calm and confident she felt as a passenger. It handled just about any situation on highways like a champ. Merging traffic, lane changes, overpasses, signs, etc.

I can see why people on these forums talk about AP1/AP2 parity with such conviction. AP1 is so much better by a long shot. Though, I feel that Tesla can get us there and soon.

• You find it to work well enough to steer on your behalf? - Yes
  • Do you think it is equally adept or less adept at staying in the lane as yourself? - Less adept
  • Do your passengers find it comfortable? - Sometimes yes, but usually no
  • Do you think it is safe? - Safe enough? Yes. But far from 100% safe.
  • Would you let a 70 year old woman operate it on the highway? - No; not a 70-year-old woman or man. Not without plenty of practice. Even then I have my doubts.
  • Just curious, not sure how anyone can find it truly useful. - I do because it drives for me with just a little bit of my input. It's that simple. But I'm not 70-years-old.
  • For it to be useful, it's got to steer at least as well as the average driver. - I disagree. I too drive better in most instances compared to AP. However AP is light years ahead of many drivers here in FL. See some of my previously posted videos in this thread. Many have one hand on their wheel and the other is holding their cell phone, eyes bouncing between the road and their text. It's bad down here.
AP has a long way to go, however IMO it works well enough for me to be worth going with a Tesla over an Audi, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, etc... if AP wasn't an option, I would have more seriously considered those ICE alternatives.
Hey, I'm 70. 2016 AP2. I find all this fun, exciting, scary. A very new learning experience for me and my new child (MS). But most folks here 70(+) don't want a self driving car because they are 'above average' drivers, according to them..

That's where I don't understand the hugging right thing. I don't understand the logic behind it, and what really gets me is when passing a car hugging to the left like Bob said, why does the car not adjust? It has all the sensors in the world and even shows the car being too close, so why not keep a set distance from the other car and adjust to left accordingly instead of just sticking to the right side of the lane and praying you get past without kissing mirrors.

My car on 17.17.4 actually hugs more to the left lane edge. Works great in far left carpool lanes. It eventually corrects to center but sometimes when engaging AP in the far left lane it just drives per the far left lane marking for several seconds before returning to center.

I think these things may have something to do with steering alignment.

As a 77 year old I resent your assumptions about us. We may not have your reflexes, but most of us know how to compensate. Plenty of younger drivers are lousy at it, but I don't lump all of you together. By the way State Farm gives me the same rate on an Elantra or a Tesla or a Corvette. And that is their lowest rate. No accidents since before you were born. Not a snark, just a fact.

Let's not get too deeply into age discrimination here. Threads get penalized ;)

That said, 66 here and nothing about a Tesla is difficult. While I understand the views some have expressed RE tech in general being daunting to someone of a certain age, I see it often, but some of us have a deep understanding of all things tech as some of us designed most of what you merely use today. You're welcome.

Now if I can only find a way to impart our life's experience into young minds willing enough to accept the fact that there might be a chance they don't know everything, nah, who am I kidding. You'll understand, eventually. :cool:

Well, I'm 74 and find the Tesla easy to use. I don't multitask like I used to but that results in paying more strict attention to driving. AP2 is pretty good in that not having to keep in the center of the lane manually, I can concentrate on the other aspects of driving like what that idiot in the next lane is going to do and be prepared to take evasive action.

No accidents or tickets in over 50 years. Traded my 6sp V8 M3 for the Tesla.. Haven't looked back.

some of us designed most of what you merely use today.

I hear you. My town runs a lecture program in which residents of the community talk about their fields of expertise. I was sitting behind two teenage boys who had been dragged by their parents to a talk on the World Wide Web. They were complaining to each other about how ridiculous it is that some old guy - Tim Berners-Lee was his name - could think he knows anything about the Web.

Enough said....the OT police are closing in...

Do you have a WiFi signal displayed where you park? If not, make sure you're
still connected to your router, or better yet, go into your WiFi settings and "forget" your network, then reconnect to it.

Also, resetting the console will reset both cellular and WiFi. Perhaps something got out of sync, and doing that between "forgetting" and reconnecting to your network is best.
Did both things and got the update! Installing now...

Thanks!

Reactions: Joe F
My experience so tar, is that my car hugs the left side when in an HOV lane with a tall median, virtually hitting it until it disengages - yet it seems to hug the right side of a lane when there's traffic to the right - almost like it has an affinity to be close to a solid object all the time if possible.

I also notice the IC display seems to show the car centered when it seems to me the vehicle is hugging closer to one side or the other. In fact, the ultrasonics will show yellow while the AP tries to maintain its position, instead of using that sensor info to help correct the vehicle's position in the lane. Just seems like they are not yet integrating all the information they are getting, and each sensor system is running independent of each other - leaving the AP working poorly most of the time.

I hope the software engineers spend some time behind the wheel in addition to behind the keyboard, as I don't think simulations catch many of the common issues found in real-time driving.

Tried, (and filmed), 17.17.4 back to back with 17.11.10 on the same twisting local road this evening. In my opinion no difference in performance or the need to pay attention. In some instances 17.17.4 would seem more cautious and alarm me to intervene where previous version would keep on going. Lane markers seem more stable, but car still drifts. Big problem is that it still drifts to the outside in turns as in old version. Not impressed with local road performance.

Agree 100%. Charleston has the I-26 interstate near town that winds through a half dozen gentle curves. 17.11.10 flunked all of them. 17.17.4 flunks all but one. So I guess it's an improvement, but not by much on our #1 test highway. It's certainly not "learning" the road. We've driven it almost every day this year. Relaxation of the 35 mph restriction on local roads is a welcome addition. We have numerous major (straight) thoroughfares that are well marked with speeds in the 45 mph to 50 mph range. 17.17.4 does great on those.

• Informative
Reactions: daktari
It's certainly not "learning" the road.

I've never seen any evidence that our individual vehicles currently learn from experience and adapt their behavior accordingly within a specific software version. I don't even know that Tesla has made that claim, except as speculation about some future capability. Like driving unattended from LA to NY, which has always been, and will always be, two years away.

• Funny
Reactions: NerdUno