Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First experience with 17.17.4 today.

* Loved the way it moved within the lane away from adjancent vehicles when it could

* Interesting moment when approaching a queue of traffic at speed. Started slowing down smoothly, but not hard enough to come to a complete stop in the space available (had spacing set to 1). Instead of braking hard, it tried to steer into the (empty) adjacent lane. I took over at that point.

* Once, bumping the cruise speed from 50 to 55 up didnt add 5mph, it bumped it to 75mph - speed limit plus 5.

On the whole, impressed to see the rate of improvement and hope it continues like this.

Peter, can you check something for me? (Or anyone else with AP2.0 hardware who did not activate the autopilot software can chime in.)

Which 17.17.4 new features are available to AP2 cars without autopilot software? I think just checking the release notes should be enough.

Specifically, yes or no to each of:
- AEB
- Side collision warning enhancements
- auto headlights

Much thanks

To the best of my understanding, all 3 are included, but I am not certain, so I hope someone else can confirm:

AEB is active in my settings.

I can't find side collision warning enhancements, and my only settings item is lane assist, which I do not use because the previous version beeped too often.

Auto headlights are active, but I have not used them yet.

It appears that in your mind surface streets are the only use case for AP?

AP & EAP should be able to work best on limited access highways, where the focus is primarily ahead and less concern about objects impacting the car from the sides. With the additional sensors, FSD should be able to detect those objects better and operate safely in more (possibly almost all) conditions.

With 17.17.4, the AP2 software seems to operate better on limited access highways, though I haven't been able to run more than a few minutes in our area without having to take back control. On surface streets the AP2 software has more challenges - the car moves side to side more inside the lanes and loses the lane sync on curves and crossing intersections - at least in the area near our house.

The goal for EAP & FSD is to allow the software to maintain control and operate at a level considerably safer than a human driver.

We're not there yet - and that's OK, Tesla will continue to make progress on this - it's just taking longer than Tesla expected, and hopefully everyone that's trying to use the current software will monitor it closely, and take over when the software hits conditions it can't yet handle correctly.

it's just taking longer than Tesla expected,

Actually it's taking longer than Tesla said they expected. While they were selling EAP on the basis that it was expected to roll out last December, they were admitting to investors that they were facing six months of development to make up for the loss of MobilEye.

Even now that the six months have elapsed there is no sign of features like automatic transition between highways, perpendicular parking, and even something as simple as rain sensing wipers. Features that they claim to now have, such as Summon and AP on local streets, are at alpha test level.

So I can't share your felling that "that's Ok". It's not. It's deceptive.

We used 17.17.4 for over 400 miles yesterday and it worked well overall. It did still have the tendency to try to take off ramps but we were aware of this and would just guide it past the exit when necessary. We liked how the side collision avoidance would slightly move the car over to the left when passing semis and then back to the center once we'd passed them. Auto lane changes were pretty smooth. There were a couple times when auto lane change wouldn't work but I think the solid line of black tar down the center of the road was to blame. I was able to use autosteer on two lane highways and it did great. There was one time where it was confused when cresting a hill at the same time there was a car coming from the other direction.

I wish we would've gotten the update about three hours earlier as we did 500 miles on 17.10.45 on Saturday including the final 150 miles where we couldn't use autosteer because it was a two lane road. Within a couple minutes of arriving at our destination, we got the notification that the 17.17.4 update was available. Doh!

Actually it's taking longer than Tesla said they expected. While they were selling EAP on the basis that it was expected to roll out last December, they were admitting to investors that they were facing six months of development to make up for the loss of MobilEye.

So I can't share your felling that "that's Ok". It's not. It's deceptive.

Where did you see that admission?

Where did you see that admission?

And in the May 3rd report, Tesla boasts that,

"In only a few quarters, we have developed industry-leading vision technology that we had previously sourced from a third party. "

In other words, it has taken us six months to develop software that we told buyers was awaiting "final validation" for a December 2016 rollout.

• Love
Reactions: NerdUno
And if you assume "few" means 2-3, they started working on their own AP sometime between August 2016 and November 2016, and expected to ship it in December 2016. So they thought it would only take 7-19 weeks to develop, and it's now taken 27 to 39 and they ain't done.

I can't find side collision warning enhancements, and my only settings item is lane assist, which I do not use because the previous version beeped too often.

The "side collision warning enhancements" are not a setting. If they are present, you'd see them in the release notes I believe. You can check the release notes again by tapping the center T logo on the screen and choosing "release notes"

And if you assume "few" means 2-3, they started working on their own AP sometime between August 2016 and November 2016, and expected to ship it in December 2016. So they thought it would only take 7-19 weeks to develop, and it's now taken 27 to 39 and they ain't done.

Compared to over 900 weeks of Mobileye experience, not bad!
And FSD was never promised for a 2017 release! Just a demo drive by the end of 2017. Which implements NO release before that!!! Otherwise nobody would need to see a demo if it is available already...

This also means AP is such a critical and sought after functionality for Tesla's market - which definitely speaks volumes on how damn good their AP1 one is.

It totally is. The primary reason I got a Tesla was for AP1. And now, AP2 for my long drives is basically as usable as AP1. I think both systems in their state today are critical parts of Tesla's competitive advantage, and it's much more significant that AP2 is completely in-house.

Just finished a 550+ mile trip with the latest update. 8 hours driving time on everything from local roads to Hwy 5/680/101 down California. A pretty good experience with autosteer overall. Considering we averaged 69.5 mph for the trip (driving time) it wasn't a very tiring trip. I'm 63 with a wonky back and I was pleasantly surprised that I had no issues by the end of the drive.
Some of the windy mountain curves around Mt. Shasta were interesting at 70 mph. I noted an interesting behavior going into a curve marked as a 55 mph while going 70. The car actually slowed to about 62 through the curve and then sped up to 70 again. It all felt very smooth. The same thing happened about 5 times. Has anyone else seen this auto slowing through curves?

I noted an interesting behavior going into a curve marked as a 55 mph while going 70. The car actually slowed to about 62 through the curve and then sped up to 70 again. It all felt very smooth. The same thing happened about 5 times. Has anyone else seen this auto slowing through curves?
I've had the auto slowing through curves for a couple months now but I can't remember which version it first started.

Reactions: boaterva
I felt like AP1 did a slightly better job of proactively slowing down for curves. AP2 sometimes still enters a curve much too fast, and only upon turning the steering wheel does it reactively slow down.

TACC has underlying logic that reduces speed based off the turning rate measured by the accelerometer/gyroscope in ESP.