Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.24.28 released - improved 'silky' update from 17.22.46?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That explains a lot. I noticed significant errors in speed limits recently where they used to previously be fairly accurate. That sucks.

Yes, other than cost savings, I'm not sure why they changed....Its remarkably bad around me. And EAP is apparently restricting people to +5 on roads where they could go 90mph with AS. Really big loss of functionality because travelling 60mph on the highway will get you run over in and around Chicago (55mph limit but everyone drives 70+).

Yes, other than cost savings, I'm not sure why they changed....Its remarkably bad around me. And EAP is apparently restricting people to +5 on roads where they could go 90mph with AS. Really big loss of functionality because travelling 60mph on the highway will get you run over in and around Chicago (55mph limit but everyone drives 70+).

My guess as to why they switched to Tom Tom: they were told it would start off worse, but get better over time, with full parity coming in 2 months.

I got 17.24.28 in my Model S yesterday. All your AutoPilot "smooth" talk means little to me. And Tesla sure did make that clear. Classic Model S owners = chopped liver!

youlose.jpg

Maybe because TomTom's better in other places?

We have a Garmin unit and it got the fastest route wrong this past weekend. My wife had previously checked Google so was surprised at the estimated time of arrival of the Garmin's suggested route. It wasn't that it simply thought that its suggested route was faster. We ended up using the Google Maps route until the GPS unit recalculated, at which point its ETA dropped by 20 minutes from its original ETA on its preferred route.

I like having a dedicated GPS because <cheap cellphone plan with limited coverage> + GPS << <expensive cellphone plan with good coverage>, but I don't expect my next unit to be a Garmin.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but it seems like the maps got a slight update. There is a 6 mile stretch of interstate that I use daily that has been incorrectly labeled as 60mph since I've owned the car. It is now showing 70mph and 65mph as it should be.

You mean I-12? it always shows 60mph in the 65/70 zones for me as well. Once i get this update ill check again.

It is quite interesting that 17.24.28 is a major roll-out for all but AP2 cars.

Speculation: with more dependence on hi-res maps but still poor map data, they wait for more collection of data from other cars. So holding the AP2 roll-out to be sure the owner gets a "wow improvment" moment.

Reactions: ahkahn
It is quite interesting that 17.24.28 is a major roll-out for all but AP2 cars.

Speculation: with more dependence on hi-res maps but still poor map data, they wait for more collection of data from other cars. So holding the AP2 roll-out to be sure the owner gets a "wow improvment" moment.

I was kind of thinking the exact same thing. Let the others be the data gatherers since they're perfected already, and then blast that out to the AP2 fleet and really wow the later models. Since this latest update (or one recently) introduces deeper learning, it makes total sense.

Seems idiotic to me, what about all these HD maps they've been building for years, they clearly can't rely on Tom Tom / Garmin for map data as it's already 6 months old before we get it! Google Maps with an overlay of HD maps is what actually needs to happen. Ugh!

Seems idiotic to me, what about all these HD maps they've been building for years, they clearly can't rely on Tom Tom / Garmin for map data as it's already 6 months old before we get it! Google Maps with an overlay of HD maps is what actually needs to happen. Ugh!

Tesla hasn't actually been creating HD maps apparently (at least with the required precision to FSD). The "HD" mapping they've done isn't the same as the HD mapping others have done and that will be required for FSD. I expect they are only now HD mapping using the information obtained from HW2 vehicles. Maybe that hasn't even started now. We really have no idea and when Tesla doesn't brag, one can safely assume it isn't there.