Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.26.17 - Reading/Displaying Incorrect Speed Limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skipdd

Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2015
Silver Spring, MD
image.jpeg

Have seen posts (I think) of others experiencing this on previous code versions, but I have never seen it, and I drive a lot (44k miles in 2 yrs). Just updated to the new load earlier today. Then went for a drive on some back roads. So I was shocked when I saw the car showing 80 mph - was supposed to be 35. Actually my reaction was surprise, then disappointment when I realized that I couldn't increase my speed (legally and safely) :).

This could be caused by the recent change to TomTom for the speed limit data.

On a nearby local street, the software now believes the speed limit is 60MPH - on a street with a 40MPH speed limit.

And on a local highway, the software has the speed limit as 45 MPH when the posted speed limit is 65 MPH.

The incorrect speed limits can be a safety problem. If you don't pay attention and the TACC tries to speed up to a higher than posted speed limit, you could be driving too fast to be safe (certainly to be legal). And when the speed limit is lower than posted on highways and operating under AutoSteer, the software will quickly slow down when it believes the speed limit has changed - which can be unexpected by cars behind you.

• Informative
Reactions: Skipdd
So I upgraded to AP1 17.26.17 (from 17.24.28 which was awesome and I had no complaints) and after driving around today my car likes to SLAM on the brakes on the freeway for no reason while in AP mode.

What I found is it's doing this while going on the freeway and then it thinks the speed limit changes to the road beneath it (while on a overpass, etc) and the speed limit will flash from 65mph to 35mph or something else quickly and WHAM!!

The car hits its brakes and then once on the other side of the overpass on the freeway it thinks 65mph again and speeds back up!!

NOT COOL!! :eek:

But I like the faster lane changes and camera/traffic detection!! :p

• Informative
So I upgraded to AP1 17.26.17 (from 17.24.28 which was awesome and I had no complaints) and after driving around today my car likes to SLAM on the brakes on the freeway for no reason while in AP mode.

What I found is it's doing this while going on the freeway and then it thinks the speed limit changes to the road beneath it (while on a overpass, etc) and the speed limit will flash from 65mph to 35mph or something else quickly and WHAM!!

The car hits its brakes and then once on the other side of the overpass on the freeway it thinks 65mph again and speeds back up!!

AP1 or AP2? I’m on AP1 and just got 17.26.17 and will try it tomorrow.

That is disturbing. I am going to hold off on using AP until I see more consistency across the comments. I appreciate my fellow owners who are less risk averse and willing to actively participate in the beta. I will be curious to see if this issue occurs with AP2. If the root cause is as @bob_p suggests, then I would think it would be the same.

So after today's trip picking up another DLG wing and coming back on the 10/210 I've noticed a few things.

The car still does the slow down and speed up but only on overpasses, not while the freeway goes under or there is an overpass over it.

It doesn't do it again in the same spot twice (for instance, it did it going N.5 towards the 118 right where Van Nuys Blvd is at)... didn't do it going S.5 in the same spot...

Didn't do it going again N.5 in the same place again today. So either it's wonky.... or it's learning??? :rolleyes:

And sometimes while in AP mode next to cars it likes to slow for no reason (no change in MPH sign indicator).. just slows for no reason.

Kinda wonky

• Informative
I normally reside in the UK and therefore the car is normally set to miles but i am now holidaying in France so i have set the display to km. i now find however that every speed limit is the correct limit multiplied by 1.6 which is the number of km in one mile. it seems it thinks the source data is in miles where as it is in km. i have a similar picture to a previous post but showing 205 km which should read 130km

So after today's trip picking up another DLG wing and coming back on the 10/210 I've noticed a few things.

The car still does the slow down and speed up but only on overpasses, not while the freeway goes under or there is an overpass over it.

It doesn't do it again in the same spot twice (for instance, it did it going N.5 towards the 118 right where Van Nuys Blvd is at)... didn't do it going S.5 in the same spot...

Didn't do it going again N.5 in the same place again today. So either it's wonky.... or it's learning??? :rolleyes:

And sometimes while in AP mode next to cars it likes to slow for no reason (no change in MPH sign indicator).. just slows for no reason.

Kinda wonky

I just had the same experience taking the HOV overpass from the South I-5 to the South SR-55. Speed limit shown in my Tesla's display on the overpass displayed 25 MPH vs. 65 MPH posted limit... and 40 MPH yellow caution signs on the corner. y Tesla started to slow for no reason both on the curve and the straight section of the overpass that merges with the ground level South SR-55. I was paying attention so I manually overrode the speed using the accelerator pedal until the speed limit changed back to the posted 65 MPH.

I normally reside in the UK and therefore the car is normally set to miles but i am now holidaying in France so i have set the display to km. i now find however that every speed limit is the correct limit multiplied by 1.6 which is the number of km in one mile. it seems it thinks the source data is in miles where as it is in km. i have a similar picture to a previous post but showing 205 km which should read 130km

I am experiencing the same behavior. I live in the US and I am currently visiting Canada. I also switched my display to km, and the speed limit display is 1.6x the actual speed limit. However autopilot knows the correct limit, and limits me to 8 kph over the actual limit when using auto steer on non-divided 2-lane highways.

I also experience sudden deceleration from 98 to 58 kph when driving on 90 kph limit roads with auto steer active. It seems to think the speed limit is only 50 kph, until I reach another 90 kph sign ant it speeds back up to 98 kph. After working correctly for a while, it will again reduce my speed to 58 kph until I reach another speed limit sign, where it speeds back up to 98 kph again. This is somewhat annoying.

When the speed limit is really reduced, like for a small town, the car automatically slows down, and automatically speeds back up when the limit is raised. This is a joy to drive.

I am running 17.14.23, with AP 1 hardware.

GSP

All Australian Teslas have had a continuing bug where the car reads 80 (km/hr) signs as 30. All town entry zones routinely step down from 100 to 80 so this is a continuing annoying problem where the car would regularly 'brake test' following vehicles if the new speed was absent-mindedly selected (you'd only do it once). It seems to be a speed/ image processing problem as cars will accurately read 80km/hr signs when transitioning from a 60 zone. This bug was reported multiple times to Tesla by multiple users and it's never been fixed

All Australian Teslas have had a continuing bug where the car reads 80 (km/hr) signs as 30. All town entry zones routinely step down from 100 to 80 so this is a continuing annoying problem where the car would regularly 'brake test' following vehicles if the new speed was absent-mindedly selected (you'd only do it once). It seems to be a speed/ image processing problem as cars will accurately read 80km/hr signs when transitioning from a 60 zone. This bug was reported multiple times to Tesla by multiple users and it's never been fixed

Guess whatever the bug is, "spread." Yeah I know that is probably nonsensical from a software development perspective. But judging from the number of issues being cited, I would say it's a good bet the issue of not accurately reflecting speed limits is going to get increased scrutiny and prompt further updates.

On the german TFF forum user KaJu74 found out that it's possible to edit the speed limit on mapcreator.here.com. It might take a while until it's transfered to the Tesla fleet, but it's a good way to improve the data.

Onfortunately I have to revoke that. Further tests showed that the data source must have changed and that the tested areas only coincidentally matched.