Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.7.2 - Why did Tesla release Local Autosteer vs...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Dangerous and buggy"? I must have gotten the safe and bug-free version. :) It's been working well for me. My only complaint its the speed restriction.

I should have put "dangerous" in quotes because I'm personally not of the opinion that Autosteer on local roads is dangerous when used judiciously. I've been using it regularly and know its limitations. However, I don't think there is any argument that it's buggy....

Reactions: cdub
I'm so happy I didn't take delivery of my model x! I bought 4 chrysler pacificas for the same price and it has auto headlights, wipers, oh and 2 tv's. When one gets dirty we can just drive one of the other 3. It is so much less stress than waiting for promises from Tesla. And for those of you die hard Tesla fans, I had a ap1 car, have a model 3 on order, and the radio flyer Tesla for my kids. Oh and that one had a motor go bad in it also.

"Dangerous and buggy"? I must have gotten the safe and bug-free version. :) It's been working well for me. My only complaint its the speed restriction.

Are you kidding? I only tested it for less than one minute today and the second the line faded in the road it veered right off to the right side of the road towards a curb. The only way I would trust it if I was going straight and there were solid lines on both sides of the road. The second the lines fade or if the line stops it gets confused and does not know what to do. Its missing a lot of logic and I cant imagine how they could be anywhere close to offering FSD.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: NerdUno
Just imagine you just bought a $140,000 condo only to find the indoor plumbing and electric service was still in beta and you'd need to use the porta-potty down the street for the next six months. If only you had read the builder's tweets.
The anology is way off. "Your house is find and probably the best theoney can buy , but all the smart home features like security and lightly are buggy. Sometimes the door could close on you and crush you" :)

• Funny
Reactions: Max* and pilotSteve
No AP2 so far has been really really really bad and honestly I sold my p85 at a huge loss to buy this all new 8 camera vehicle and paid the extra 4K to have he fsd feature in it and my tacc isn't usable on the 405 freeway.... I don't know how anyone can think that its acceptable to do this to people. It's been 4 months and every single bridge or power line or overhead sign makes my car go from 75 to 55 immediately.

It's not cool at all and it's making me who is a diehard tesla guy want to give it back. I don't want to wait an additional 6 months and be a beta tester for them, that wasn't the "deal". I'm cool with ap1 parity but I have the latest software and no way are we just a month away from it. They can't stop the squiggly lines when you slow down let alone show 3 lanes of traffic and correctly show which type of vehicle is passing you.

Pretty lame

This is false for anyone who ordered before January 2017. Please stop repeating it.

This is correct. Anyone can use the internet archive to see what the website displayed at a past time.
Here is a before and after:

Auto-Pilot-Before-and-After.jpg

When I ordered the website also showed that Auto High Beams would be available in December 2016, I am still waiting for my Auto High Beams.

testa-before-and-after.jpg

Last edited:
EAP "is expected to".
Key word for "forward-looking statements" that might or might not happen.
It could be argued that it takes precedence over "Standard Safety Features" wording that have had a semi-precise date due to being tied in one package.

Ask lawyer.

Just imagine you just bought a $140,000 condo only to find the indoor plumbing and electric service was still in beta and you'd need to use the porta-potty down the street for the next six months. If only you had read the builder's tweets.
Not sure this is an apples to apples comparison, since those are minimal expectations for any house. I believe the current cars fulfill the minimal expectations of a car, in that you can drive them from point A to point B safely. A more apt comparison would be if you bought a mansion, but the custom bowling alley you had installed in the basement wasn't working well and you had to wait some time for them to fix it. Or your heated infinity pool overlooking the ocean wasn't heating up to 78 degrees. You def paid extra for them and that would be annoying for awhile, but you probably wouldn't move out over them.

Reactions: EV-lutioin
EAP "is expected to".
Key word for "forward-looking statements" that might or might not happen.
It could be argued that it takes precedence over "Standard Safety Features" wording that have had a semi-precise date due to being tied in one package.

Ask lawyer.
Done! Lawyer says we can make a prima facie case that 1) the abundance of communication from Tesla's site and its sales agents led us to believe it would be delivered as advertised; and 2) Tesla's actual delivery of EAP suggests that they would have to have known that December was not only not expected but near or in fact impossible.

You can't "expect" the "impossible". You cannot continue to advertise as "Expected" that which you know you cannot deliver.

Done! Lawyer says we can make a prima facie case that 1) the abundance of communication from Tesla's site and its sales agents led us to believe it would be delivered as advertised; and 2) Tesla's actual delivery of EAP suggests that they would have to have known that December was not only not expected but near or in fact impossible.

You can't "expect" the "impossible". You cannot continue to advertise as "Expected" that which you know you cannot deliver.
So what's your plan then? An individual lawsuit that will cost you signicantly more than the $5k plunked down for EAP, or trying to get people to join a class action lawsuit? I'd imagine the outcome of a lawsuit will probably just delay features further on their Teslas and the odds of winning are 50/50 at best, since the language on the site does appear ambiguous and relates to software upgrades rather than hardware. The number of people who paid for EAP in that timeframe is so minuscule in the scheme of things, I don't think any decent lawyer would touch it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Doubletap67
So what's your plan then? An individual lawsuit that will cost you signicantly more than the $5k plunked down for EAP, or trying to get people to join a class action lawsuit? I'd imagine the outcome of a lawsuit will probably just delay features further on their Teslas and the odds of winning are 50/50 at best, since the language on the site does appear ambiguous and relates to software upgrades rather than hardware. The number of people who paid for EAP in that timeframe is so minuscule in the scheme of things, I don't think any decent lawyer would touch it.
I don't know what you're going on about. Some guy asked me to ask a lawyer. So I did and reported what I was told.

And my guess is that the small amount of people actually adds up to at least $50 million.

So could Tesla have reduced the 'incentive' for these lawsuits by having released features in a different order? For example, would those AP2 owners who feel mis-led by Tesla be more content if release 17.7.2 had increased Autosteer on freeways to 60+ MPH (safely), and added auto-headlights, instead of introduced Autosteer on local roads? Or is it an all (full parity with AP1)-or-nothing issue?

I don't know what you're going on about. Some guy asked me to ask a lawyer. So I did and reported what I was told.

And my guess is that the small amount of people actually adds up to at least $50 million.
I was just highlighting there's a difference between a possible legal avenue and the likelihood that anyone will take it when there aren't clear laws or legal precedent related to software updates not being delivered on time and the true damages for something that was delivered in February/March vs. end of December. I'm open to disagreements, however!