Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" OEM Tire replacement choices?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I replaced my tires at 20,000 miles. I love the new ones. My only concern now is longevity. My energy consumption remained the same, even thought I went wider.

1. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
2. Changed to 255 / 40 ZR18 (I wanted wider tires to try and cover the wheels to protect from curb rash. These almost do it.
3. $600 with Road Hazard at Discount Tire. I paid for 2 and Michelin paid for 2 as my OEMs wore out faster than advertised.
4. I did a ton of research. I found these to be the highest rated at the time.
5. My Wh/M remained the sameish. i might ahve gone down maybe 20, but in a resent trip I took, I actually got better Wh/M between Super Chargers.
6. Noise is the same. No difference that I can tell.

Can you post a few pictures of what those wider tires look like on your car? Very interested.

I always go with Michelin, personally I would pick one from the following three based on your need:
Pilot Sport All Season 3+: If you need all season.
Pilot Sport 4: If you can get by with summer, a little more thread over performance
Pilot Sport 4S: If you can get by with summer, a little more performance over thread

Can you post a few pictures of what those wider tires look like on your car? Very interested.
Hard to get a good picture of them, but here you go. Like I said, it's almost perfect. I kinda wish I'd gone with the 60s. (You can see the curb rash from the OEMs.)

Attachments

• IMG_0207.JPG
    IMG_0207.JPG
    457.6 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_0208.JPG
    IMG_0208.JPG
    630.7 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_0209.JPG
    IMG_0209.JPG
    562.2 KB · Views: 434
For reference, here are the Rev/mile specs for the 3 best 18" fitments:

OEM 235/45-18 - 790 rev/mile
+width 245/45-18 - 780 rev/mile
++width 255/40-18 - 799 rev/mile

Since the 255/40 is already a smaller rolling diameter than OEM, going down to 35 aspect is going to be even smaller at 832 rev/mile.

The 255/40 looks a lot better than I expected. What do you think @insaneoctane ??

I have no problem with 255 from a "looks" standpoint as wider always looks better to me. The picture looks like 255 is the minimum width with these Michelins in order to get *some* rim protection, I suspect that 245 might not do it. The only thing preventing me from choosing 255 is A) Don't want to lower Wh/mi, and B) Don't know if tire shop (usually Costco for me) will fit them. I'm going to dig some more on this thread and elsewhere to try and figure out the efficiency question!

Wonder if the MXM4 in 255 would get better Wh/mi than Pilot Sport A/S + in 235 or 245 ??

I replaced my tires at 20,000 miles. I love the new ones. My only concern now is longevity. My energy consumption remained the same, even thought I went wider.

2. Changed to 255 / 40 ZR18 (I wanted wider tires to try and cover the wheels to protect from curb rash. These almost do it.
3. $600 with Road Hazard at Discount Tire. I paid for 2 and Michelin paid for 2 as my OEMs wore out faster than advertised.
5. My Wh/M remained the sameish. i might ahve gone down maybe 20, but in a resent trip I took, I actually got better Wh/M between Super Chargers.
@scottysize, did you change from Michelin MXM4 18"? If so, I'm quite surprised to hear that MXM4 and Pilot Sport 4S get approximately the same Wh/mi- that's not intuitive at all. Also, it sounds like "these almost do" means you're still not happy with the rim rash protection? Odd, since I don't think 265 is even recommended on these 8.5" rims

@scottysize, did you change from Michelin MXM4 18"? If so, I'm quite surprised to hear that MXM4 and Pilot Sport 4S get approximately the same Wh/mi- that's not intuitive at all. Also, it sounds like "these almost do" means you're still not happy with the rim rash protection? Odd, since I don't think 265 is even recommended on these 8.5" rims
You can go up ot 65s on them, yup. I kinda wish I'd gone with 60s. I think that would have been perfect. Now, I can say there's been no more curb rash and I have scraped a curb since adding the 55s.

And yes, I was shocked to find out that there was no noticeable drop in range on my last trip, and I even made it to the Super Chargers with more battery percentage left in most cases.

Edit: During daily driving in traffic, I have noticed a 20 Wh/M drop. Now, do I care? No, because I only use 60% of my battery during normal daily driving. The 0 change was on the long road trip I just took in July. I went round trip 1300 miles.

I'd choose the Pilot Sport 4S, which can be temporarily fixed on the roadside with either tire sealant or plugs (Michelin Primacy MXM4 and any other Acoustic Tech tires cannot be temporarily repaired with sealant).

Or, I'd consider Bridgestone Driveguard run flats, so you're never stranded, or at the mercy of Tesla Roadside Service.

• Love
Reactions: AmpManMYP
I'd choose the Pilot Sport 4S, which can be temporarily fixed on the roadside with either tire sealant or plugs (Michelin Primacy MXM4 and any other Acoustic Tech tires cannot be temporarily repaired with sealant).

Or, I'd consider Bridgestone Driveguard run flats, so you're never stranded, or at the mercy of Tesla Roadside Service.

I never thought about this aspect of tires with sound-deadening foam. Makes the tire sealant kit in my frunk pretty useless!

Reactions: mswlogo
I never thought about this aspect of tires with sound-deadening foam. Makes the tire sealant kit in my frunk pretty useless!
Unfortunately yes. I asked Michelin about roadside repair to the Primacy MXM4 tires, and this was their reply:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding roadside repair procedure for Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires.

External or outside-in repair methods using sealants string, rubber bands or rivet type plugs are not permitted. A damaged tire must be removed from the wheel in order to determine if there is an interior damage (not detectable from exterior) which could cause a tire to suddenly fail."

The Michelin representative did also write about the Michelin Promise Plan, which includes a 3-Year Flat Tire Changing Assistance. for every Michelin passenger and light truck replacement tire sold in the U.S. on March 1, 2011 and after.

A qualified service professional will replace a flat tire with the inflated spare. If an inflated spare tire is not available, towing will be provided at no cost (up to 150 miles) to the nearest approved Michelin dealer of your choice. Flat Tire Assistance is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in the U.S. and Canada.

The Michelin Promise Plan does not apply to original equipment tires, but it would apply to Michelin replacement tires.

Last edited:
Unfortunately yes. I asked Michelin about roadside repair to the Primacy MXM4 tires, and this was their reply:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding roadside repair procedure for Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires.

External or outside-in repair methods using sealants string, rubber bands or rivet type plugs are not permitted. A damaged tire must be removed from the wheel in order to determine if there is an interior damage (not detectable from exterior) which could cause a tire to suddenly fail."

They are gonna say that about every tire, foam or no foam.

If I'm stuck on the side of the road in the middle of no where, I'll do what I have to do to get to a safe place.

Hows the comfort compared to the stock 18" tires?

They are gonna say that about every tire, foam or no foam.
Perhaps. I will ask that specific question about non Acoustic Tech tires.

Sealant does not work on Acoustic Tech tires because the sealant cannot effectively penetrate past the foam layer to seal the rubber tread.

So, if you're going to do whatever it takes, then it will probably take plugs.

Perhaps. I will ask that specific question about non Acoustic Tech tires.

Sealant does not work on Acoustic Tech tires because the sealant cannot effectively penetrate past the foam layer to seal the rubber tread.

So, if you're going to do whatever it takes, then it will probably take plugs.

Right, I assume acoustic foam would not make an external plug any worse. But some others will disagree.

Generally tire manufacturers would not back external plugging in any tire or goo. Big part is liability. If they say it’s ok and fails they could be on the hook. They are a big target.

I no longer have acoustic foam tires for winter or summer and carry goo and plug kit.