Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" OEM Tire replacement choices?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went with 245/45/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s on my P3D with TSportline 18" wheels. They have a higher load rating of 100Y, which I figured would work out better for a car in this weight class. I've only had them for about ~700 miles at this point, but I've noticed no major difference in handling or noise (daily drive, no track use yet) compared to the OEM 20" PS4s. The tires were about $800 from Costco. I also looked at the Continental DWS06 which I've had on prior vehicles with an excellent track record, however I ultimately went with the Michelin's because Costco carries them with their phenomenal warranty.
6aR4xAu.jpg

oO3EVBx.jpg
Do you have a link to the wheels you purchased from TSL?

Their test data says the PS4S is way better for wet though. Braking distance 50-0 is 108.8ft for PS4S vs. 117ft for Crossclimate+.
For California I think PS4S for summer and Crossclimate+ for "winter" (trips to the mountains) is the best combo.

Their test was at warm temps, the big advantage for Crossclimate+ in the wet comes in to play mainly at lower temperatures (above freezing but below 60F if I had to guess, maybe higher).

Which is why real world reviews from actual drivers don't match a single test on a single day by a single source.

michelin-crossclimate-tuv-test-results-jpg.346531

allseason-png.346549

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
Their test was at warm temps, the big advantage for Crossclimate+ in the wet comes in to play mainly at lower temperatures (above freezing but below 60F if I had to guess, maybe higher).

Which is why real world reviews from actual drivers don't match a single test on a single day by a single source.
I doubt the surveyed drivers are doing 100% braking or doing hot laps with both types of tires. I was just correcting the common misconception that summer tires aren't the best in wet conditions.
I would be curious at what temperature the Crossclimates become better. @AlanSubie4Life has them and I've got a Vbox so I suppose we could do scientific measurements. It doesn't actually get below 40F around here though....

I doubt the surveyed drivers are doing 100% braking or doing hot laps with both types of tires. I was just correcting the common misconception that summer tires aren't the best in wet conditions.
I would be curious at what temperature the Crossclimates become better. @AlanSubie4Life has them and I've got a Vbox so I suppose we could do scientific measurements. It doesn't actually get below 40F around here though....

I don't think you will need below 40F to test. If you can get sustained cold like 45F low with more than 4 hours below 50F I'd consider that worth testing. You might have to park the cars outside and test after midnight / before sunrise though.

Probably can't around here! I'd have to peel myself out of bed the middle of the night in mid-winter during a cold snap to have a chance at those sorts of frigid conditions.
Those sort of conditions are common in the majority of the country in late fall, winter, and early spring.

Just because California doesn't see cold days often doesn't mean that Crossclimate+ tires aren't a good recommendation for wet traction in the rest of the country.

What I see here is rain 12 months of the year varying from 20F to 100F and raining in most every variation. (when it's below 30F here it was usually warm the day before so we sometimes get rain that doesn't freeze on the road even when the outdoor air temp is just below freezing). Actual snow or ice is almost unheard of here.

But cold and rainy, yeah I see that just as often if not more than I see hot and rainy.

knoxville climate.PNG

Last edited:
Those sort of conditions are common in the majority of the country in late fall, winter, and early spring.

Just because California doesn't see cold days often doesn't mean that Crossclimate+ tires aren't a good recommendation for wet traction in the rest of the country.
But about half of all Teslas in the US are sold in California :p
Anyway it would be an interesting test. I'll have to remember to do it when it gets a bit colder.
Last fall I compared the PS4S to the MXM4 and they stopped in 105ft from 60mph vs. 125ft.

I am laboring on this decision as well. Its time to replace the OEMs, but man the choices are so vast. Ugh. All I know is I want an all season tire and something that won't wear out as quickly as the OEMs, but be as quiet and perform similar or better than OEM.

I am laboring on this decision as well. Its time to replace the OEMs, but man the choices are so vast. Ugh. All I know is I want an all season tire and something that won't wear out as quickly as the OEMs, but be as quiet and perform similar or better than OEM.

all season, check

won't wear out as quick, check

as quiet, how about quieter, or at least a different sound quality? The OEM MXM4 tires are rated worse on noise than most of the tires above it on the graphic.

perform similar or better? Do you mean efficiency or traction? If you mean traction anything above it has better traction. If you mean efficiency that data doesn't exist on Tirerack. No one knows how much you'll gain or lose efficiency wise.

Does it help you to see the shorter list of all season tires with the winter and summer tires removed? Note: I left the Pilot Sport 4S in because it is a possible OEM tire just as the Primacy MXM4 is a possible OEM tire.

235_45_18allseasonshortlist.png

If price, treadwear, and noise matter more than traction/safety to you the Goodyear Assurance Maxlife looks like the value play. But that assumes you have perfect alignment, no road quality issues, never get a damaged tire, and so on. High tread ratings don't always equal the value they suggest on paper.

It also ignores efficiency, the Goodyear Assurance Maxlife will likely cut your range shorter and cost you more per mile in charging costs (unless you charge for free somehow).

Finally the Goodyear Assurance Maxlife in 235/45R18 doesn't have the 98 load rating of the OEM tire. You might not be able to get a service center to install it.

If traction, cornering, safety, and ride quality matter more the Michelin Cross Climate+ wins. It's at the top of the list for a reason.

Last edited:
Why consider the Maxlife, the WeatherReady seems just as good, and has the proper load rating.

Seems to me that for the all-season tires, the choice is CrossClimate+, WeatherReady and Quatrac5. I'm leaning to the CC+, but the Quatrac5 is interesting.

Reactions: evannole
While I started this thread, I sort of chose to delay my tire decision. Due to a recommendation on this forum to check Craigslist for 18" tires and wheels I did just that. I am now the owner of a new set of OEM -tires and wheels with most of the remaining tread (claimed less than 1,500 miles). This worked for me because I have options for both rim rash, spares, and easier rotations. Oh, and newer MXM4s too. All for less than the current retail price of 2 OEM MXM4s. Thank you forum! I hope by the time I have to replace these next set of MXM4s that our community has more data (and choices) for good, quiet, long lasting, and efficient tires! I will keep following the search!

Why consider the Maxlife, the WeatherReady seems just as good, and has the proper load rating.

Seems to me that for the all-season tires, the choice is CrossClimate+, WeatherReady and Quatrac5. I'm leaning to the CC+, but the Quatrac5 is interesting.

The Maxlife is the cheapo option, honestly I wouldn't recommend it. But the other 3 tires you mentioned are covered in this test report

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=231

The weatherreaddy had the worst MPG (think range and efficiency) and worst dry/wet traction of the 4 in the test. But it did well in the snow testing.

If you are in the mindset that all season tires don't replace snow tires that puts the weatherready in a bad spot. The Crossclimate+ is better in most categories. The Quatrac5 is better in some, and has a cheaper price.

The Cinturato P7 All Season Plus listed in the report doesn't come in a size for the Model 3 with 18" wheels.

View attachment 443279
If traction, cornering, safety, and ride quality matter more the Michelin Cross Climate+ wins. It's at the top of the list for a reason.

Kinda surprised to see how much better the ratings on the Cross Climate+ are compared to the A/S 3+ which I'd thought was "the" Michelin to get if you wanted a PS4S but lived someplace it sometimes gets below 40 or might even see occasional light snow

Edit-

Hrm, yeah...

A/S 3+
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=241

50-0 braking dry 80.9 feet, wet 101.3 feet
Avg cornering Gs .92 dry, .80 wet
Slalom dry 5.21, wet 5.63
Lap time 30.69 dry, 33.79 wet

Cross Climate+
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=231

50-0 braking dry 92.6 feet, wet 122.10
Avg cornering Gs .89 dry .67 wet
Slalom dry 5.18 wet 5.71
Lap time 31.1 dry, 35.75 wet

So other than a near tie in slalom dry, the A/S 3+ seems to beat the Cross Climate pretty handily performance-wise.

(the cross climate+ is apparently significant better in heavy snow though)

And of course the PS4S-
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=223

50-0 braking dry 80.2 feet, 108.8 wet
Avg cornering Gs .92g dry, .78 wet
Slalom dry 4.91, 5.35 wet
Lap time 29.78 dry, 33.05 wet

PS4S and A/S3+ very close on the first 2 (with only wet braking being significantly different- and in favor of the A/S 3+)... the PS4S wins the second two wet and dry by a bit though.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David L
So other than a near tie in slalom dry, the A/S 3+ seems to beat the Cross Climate pretty handily performance-wise.
Agree, though they're in completely different categories, with the CrossClimate+ in the Grand Touring group and the Pilot Sport A/S3 in the Ultra-High Performance group. I think they're aimed at different drivers with different priorities. Most of my driving is on the highway and comfort takes priority over what the car can do on a skid pad or on the track, though I will concede that the difference in stopping distance between the two tires is certainly worth considering. I gave up buying high performance tires years ago, though. As much as I enjoy spirited driving, it's become clear to me that grand touring tires fit my profile (and my commute) much better.

Edit: I see that the AS/3+ is in the High Performance rather than Ultra-High Performance category. But otherwise I have the same thoughts.

Last edited:
Kinda surprised to see how much better the ratings on the Cross Climate+ are compared to the A/S 3+ which I'd thought was "the" Michelin to get if you wanted a PS4S but lived someplace it sometimes gets below 40 or might even see occasional light snow

Edit-

Hrm, yeah...

A/S 3+
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=241

50-0 braking dry 80.9 feet, wet 101.3 feet
Avg cornering Gs .92 dry, .80 wet
Slalom dry 5.21, wet 5.63
Lap time 30.69 dry, 33.79 wet

Cross Climate+
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=231

50-0 braking dry 92.6 feet, wet 122.10
Avg cornering Gs .89 dry .67 wet
Slalom dry 5.18 wet 5.71
Lap time 31.1 dry, 35.75 wet

(the cross climate+ is apparently significant better in heavy snow though)

And of course the PS4S-
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=223

50-0 braking dry 80.2 feet, 108.8 wet
Avg cornering Gs .92g dry, .78 wet
Slalom dry 4.91, 5.35 wet
Lap time 29.78 dry, 33.05 wet

PS4S and A/S3+ very close on the first 2 (with only wet braking being significantly different- and in favor of the A/S 3+)... the PS4S wins the second two wet and dry by a bit though.
Very interesting performance data... Sure wish we had real rolling resistance/efficiency data on these vs MXM4S