Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" and 21" Tire Wear (informal) Survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to see if there was any updated info on tire wear out there.

I have one of the early models which showed extreme wear on the 21" tires. When I went in for the 6000 mile rotation, I had to completely replace the back tires due to extreme wear on the inside edges (and no wear at all on the outside edges). When I took the car into the service center at 12 months (~12000 miles), I asked them to make sure the toe was set to 0 on the rear wheels since the negative camber tends to chew through the inside edge of the tires. The service center added this item to the service list:

Customer concerned about rear inner tire wear. Bulletin: Model S | SB-13-31-004 | New Bolt for Rear Camber Correction
Correction: Replace Upper Link to Subframe Bolt

My rear tire wear has been much more reasonable ever since.

Last edited:
I replaced my Rears (19" OEM Goodyears) at 12,000 miles and moved the fronts to the back. My current rears (which were on the front for the first 12,000) are at 4/32 and the inside edges are now bald. I'm at 22,300 miles. About to replace the next pair. Not getting anywhere near the life I'd hoped for. I can easily see the negative camber on the rear wheels. I'll probably ask Tesla to take some out the next time i have my car in.

An alignment sounds like a good idea. It probably is worth getting one of those digital tread depth gauges though. Cost about $20.
I have no idea if this one's any good, but I bought it and it seems to work adequately for my needs:
Accutire MS-48B Digital Combination Tire Thread Depth Gauge and Tire Pressure Gauge : Amazon.com : Automotive

$9.73

- - - Updated - - -

I replaced my Rears (19" OEM Goodyears) at 12,000 miles and moved the fronts to the back. My current rears (which were on the front for the first 12,000) are at 4/32 and the inside edges are now bald. I'm at 22,300 miles. About to replace the next pair. Not getting anywhere near the life I'd hoped for. I can easily see the negative camber on the rear wheels. I'll probably ask Tesla to take some out the next time i have my car in.
The warranty on the Michelin Pilot Super Sport 21s is 30,000 miles. Anybody want to take some bets on whether they last even 20,000 miles? ;)

Another data point:

At 26,000 miles, my 19" Goodyear tires were down to 0/32" rear and 3/32" front. Replacing all four. Were rotated at 12.5K miles.

wow, bald tires on rear? baaaad. you should check them more often. that's very dangerous. curious was it even across all treads ? do you check your psi often? I'm still baffled how I seem to be the only one getting good mileage out of these goodyears...I'm at 39k miles now on the original 19" goodyear's and I still have half tread left on all 4 pretty evenly. I do make sure that I am even at 45psi basically every other week I check. I do find that it drops slowly across all 4 and I have to top it back off to 45psi about once per month. I've only rotated 3 times @ 6500,23000,& 37000, never had an alignment done, and I drive pretty aggressively. I'm actually REALLY curious what my alignment readings are. I seem to be in the sweet spot. And I wonder if this sweet spot does not match up with official Tesla specs that everyone else is getting aligned to.

At 23k miles I had my tires rotated (first time).
The rears were ~3-4/32"
The fronts were ~6-7/32"

I am using the factory 19" Goodyears.

I am probably going to try to squeeze another 10k out of the tires. Looks like rotating at ~15k and trying to get 30k out of the set is probably about right.

It's quick and easy to tell if the tires are aligned correctly (for toe) in your driveway:

1. Set suspension to very high (unless you have small hands and arms).

2. Put the palm of your hand on the tread (not your fingers).

3. Move your hand across the tread of the tire. (move your hand in both the in and out direction)

4. Do this on all four tires.

If the tire feels the same in both directions, then the alignment is good.

If the tire feels smooth one way and rough the other way then there is too much toe. (Smooth going towards the centre of the car and rough going out is toe-in.)

It's a good idea to do this check shorty after an alignment--100 to 500 miles depending upon how bad the tires were before the alignment--because alignment machines can be poorly calibrated. (I suspect many are never calibrated after the initial install.)

if there is something different about the car that is allowing good milage on an air suspension car, I think we owe it to other forum members to document suspension settings that seem to be working (thus my willingness to pile on the $30 donation group).

My camber is down to -1.2 in the rear which, although not ideal, will give me reasonable wear. I'm more concerned about people with -2 or more which is why I would like to see with YBD is working with.

It's quick and easy to tell if the tires are aligned correctly (for toe) in your driveway:

1. Set suspension to very high (unless you have small hands and arms).

2. Put the palm of your hand on the tread (not your fingers).

3. Move your hand across the tread of the tire. (move your hand in both the in and out direction)

4. Do this on all four tires.

If the tire feels the same in both directions, then the alignment is good.

If the tire feels smooth one way and rough the other way then there is too much toe. (Smooth going towards the centre of the car and rough going out is toe-in.)

It's a good idea to do this check shorty after an alignment--100 to 500 miles depending upon how bad the tires were before the alignment--because alignment machines can be poorly calibrated. (I suspect many are never calibrated after the initial install.)

I know this trick and I've done it before. It's smooth both directions.