Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" and 21" Tire Wear (informal) Survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the SC do an alignment check but they reported everything was Ok.

Uniform wear patters. My first set of RS-A2's only lasted 5k miles and even though they admitted alignment problem, I still was forced to pay.

That is odd. Is your driving style maximized for fun or has the car been to the track? That is less than I got on my Conti summer tires.

That is odd. Is your driving style maximized for fun or has the car been to the track? That is less than I got on my Conti summer tires.

I wish my style was maximized for fun. Instead, it's maximized for not getting a speeding ticket in our suburb. My lifetime Wh/mi is 334 with mostly non-highway driving. Never been to the track.

Just got our Model S back from the SC and here were the tire tread depth readings:
LR 3/32 Outer 4/32 Center 3/32 Inner
RR 3/32 Outer 4/32 Center 3/32 Inner

Was I incorrectly sold a new set of rear tires? I distinctly remember the Service Advisor telling me that the rear tread was 2/32 O 1/32 C 2/32 I

17,700 miles and I finally have cord showing on the inside shoulder. There is little left on the remainder of the tire so the camber change did let me get a lot more out of the tires. However, I have confirmed for myself that MS is nothing special when it comes to camber and rear tire wear. This exactly like the BMWs and Ferraris I have dealt with in the past where I have had to remove camber to get the tires to last even a reasonable amount of time.

That is odd. Is your driving style maximized for fun or has the car been to the track?

Mine is. Gunning it off every light, frequent 100+mph cruising, high speed maneuvers, cutting people off, and in general just driving it like I stole it and pissing everyone else off on the road is like forever burned into my driving style. Still got 48k+ on em. It's all about alignment...

(LMB spouse)

LMB has the stock Goodyear RS-A2 tires. After 6500 miles there was a lot of wear on the rears. The Service Center rotated and realigned and since then there has been very little wear. If anything, the fronts are wearing more than the rears. The SC said it didn't need rotation the next two times, and we requested rotation explicitly recently. Currently at around 25,000 miles and about 5/32 inch tread depth all the way around. Will change out at around 4/32.

19" Goodyear P85 Tires - REPLACED after 18,000 Miles.

Model S is very hard on REAR TIRES. Service Tech said 18,000 is about average.

Service makes up $hit. All 3 service centers I've been to *always* said to me the average they see for 21s is 5k miles. But for 19s?? But my 19s lasted 48k. 18k is average if your alignment is bad maybe. I know there's someone on here whose made it 33k on their 21s. Did you personally check the treads? I caught them lying to me about my tread depths on one occasion, so I would just be cautious about what they tell you.

What would happen to the Service Center if they said "OMG, 4K miles on 21" tires, that's wrong. We need to get on that right away.". That would be crazy (and, of course, the correct thing to do). It is much easier to say, oh, that is normal. You need to get used to it.

This thread is proof that you can get reasonable life out of tires on MS provided the alignment is acceptable. I do not consider -2.2 degrees of rear camber acceptable so air suspension already creates a problem.

My normal experience is 15K miles on rear sport tires with European amounts of camber (-1.5 to -1.9). My MS just gave me just over 17K from PS2s. I think that is excellent for me from this heavy a car.

Circling back to the above post, making up $hit might be forgivable. Knowing what is right then saying what is convenient would be less so. Perhaps we should go YBD's way and assume the best and not the worst.

Service makes up $hit. All 3 service centers I've been to *always* said to me the average they see for 21s is 5k miles. But for 19s?? But my 19s lasted 48k. 18k is average if your alignment is bad maybe. I know there's someone on here whose made it 33k on their 21s. Did you personally check the treads? I caught them lying to me about my tread depths on one occasion, so I would just be cautious about what they tell you.

I didn't see the threads - car was already in the garage. Before everyone jumps to assumptions and conclusions about their own experiences you have to be careful because everyone has different variables and driving habits.

My conditions: I drive 150 miles a day (City & HWY) and a lot in NYC where the roads are horrible. I feel the air suspension has a lot to do with the alignment problems and severe wear and tear on the tires. I have an S500 and get the same issues because of the harsh roads in NYC. For those owners getting 30K+ I'm sure it's on smooth roads.

I didn't see the threads - car was already in the garage. Before everyone jumps to assumptions and conclusions about their own experiences you have to be careful because everyone has different variables and driving habits.

My conditions: I drive 150 miles a day (City & HWY) and a lot in NYC where the roads are horrible. I feel the air suspension has a lot to do with the alignment problems and severe wear and tear on the tires. I have an S500 and get the same issues because of the harsh roads in NYC. For those owners getting 30K+ I'm sure it's on smooth roads.

Dude I'm like you , NJT and NYC same crap roads you are with air suspension.

Well my 19" Goodyear OEM tires are officially done after ~32,000km. They are at the wear bars on 3 tires in the middle (I ran them at 51psi for a couple thousand km's this past summer). They are at ~3/32 on both outside grooves on the tire. I have air suspension and my lifetime avg Wh/mi is 355.

Now I just have to decide what I'm going to put on the car next. Nokian ZLine, Conti DW, Pilot Sport A/S 3, Hankook Ventus V12 Evo or Champiro UHP1. I found a set of the Hankook's for nearly $600 cheaper than the rest so I'm leaning towards those. Any of the above choices are better than the RS-A2's from what I've seen.

Last edited:
Given the comments here and elsewhere on tire longevity, any survey on tire wear should at minimum stratify by air susp yes/no. Also, a much more imperfect but potentially useful second stratification would be by lifetime average wh/mi (indicating road quality and driving style). --Alex

My first time to this thread. Service center says all 4 tires are around 3/32" pretty evenly worn.
25k miles, 19", original Goodyears (almost 2 years old), air suspension.
lots of surface street driving and up and down hills, short daily commute but occasional long trip to LA.

Not as good as yobigd and elsupreme got, but maybe not horrible?

So, should I have the service center put on the Michelins or should I go to Costco?

I'm on my 3rd set of rear tires in 22k miles. I'd say getting 25k out of one set is pretty darned good.

Hey lolachampcar or anyone else, do you have an adjusted alignment setting that differs from the spec that Tesla has that may prolong tire life? I recall seeing something a year ago when we first stumbled onto this problem.

I'm wondering whether asking Tesla to do the alignment, instead of a local tire shop, may not produce the best results when it comes to prolonging tire life. Reason being, that they have to abide my some spec that Tesla requires but real world experience of those in this forum dispute that spec.

I ended up doing some unintended rear toe testing early on.
More (0.40 and higher) gave good straight line stability on the highway (less hunting and following grooves in the pavement) but higher WHr/mile
Less (like 0.10) gave much better power usage but the car tended to hunt more.
These are TOTAL toe numbers meaning the sum of right and left rear toe.

I ended up running my car at 0.10 degrees of total rear toe and, with the links, 1.3 degrees of negative camber. I got 17.5K miles out of the rears which is more than I used to get out of five series rears.