Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Turbine Wheel Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Presto.
ype7a5y2.jpg

It may not be the new rims and TPMS' that are causing this. There is a bug that sends out a TPMS warning after driving long distances continuously. I've had this happen on four separate trips, and each one was a long distance drive of more than 200 miles or so when the warning popped up. The warning went away when I pulled over and turned off the car and re-started it. Others have reported this same bug in similar circumstances.

I experienced this bug with Tesla stock sensors on long drives. Tesla pulled logs and saw front sensor was intermittently losing radio contact. Solution was to reposition the TPMS ECU to its "updated position." That position is below the rear seat but slightly more forward in the car than the factory installation.

After driving more than 200 miles with the new Rial's and TireRack TPMS with no pressure warning, now suddenly I get a warning. Minor annoyance that I'm sure can be remedied with my first ranger visit.

These systems mustn't check in very often. We had the same thing happen when we put sensorless winter wheels on our Lexus. We drove for several days before the system freaked out.

I wonder how these would look on a black model S. Anyone?

Personally I think the gunmetal looks great on the colors--red, grey, green, etc., but with black suddenly the wheels become lighter than the car without really contrasting, and to my eye that's not as attractive. I prefer the silver wheels for the contrast with the black as opposed to wheels that aren't black and also don't contrast. But that's just my opinion obviously--I'm sure to others' eyes the gunmetal looks much better than the silver with black.

Personally I think the gunmetal looks great on the colors--red, grey, green, etc., but with black suddenly the wheels become lighter than the car without really contrasting, and to my eye that's not as attractive. I prefer the silver wheels for the contrast with the black as opposed to wheels that aren't black and also don't contrast. But that's just my opinion obviously--I'm sure to others' eyes the gunmetal looks much better than the silver with black.

Yeah this is what I'm trying to decide. There are some aftermarket forged rims that are gloss black that I thought looked good and I'm stuck trying to figure out what'll look best. That or gunmetal trying to match the grey turbines. I'd prefer 20s probably though. My 19s slip too much with my heavy foot :). I won't buy 21s for obvious reasons.

Hmm how much do stock weigh and how much difference does it make in range?

Wheels don't make all that much difference in range (compared to tires) because they are closer to the centre of rotation than the tires are. The wheels would have to be about 50% lighter/heavier to see a measurable difference.