Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19 vs 20 in wheels on model 3 non-performance version...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find the oem choices for rims to be awful. I saw a showroom red X with 20” silver turbines, looks so good, Such a shame they didn’t offer it.
I would have opted for 19” on my P3D+ if they had it. I never bought a 60K car, so why not get top line, went with the 20”. Everytime I look at my car I feel good I went all out. It feels and looks “exotic” ( so does AAA).

Quick question,

Would 19'' OEM wheels/all season tires give you better look / performance over the 20'' OEM wheels/summer tires?

I currently have the 19'' OEM wheels all season tires but I live in SoCal hence I think summer tires will increase performance on my RWD M3.

I've been thinking on either get TSport or Mild UP springs and but it seems Tesla sells an upgraded? suspension if you buy their 20'' OEM tires.

Any feedback on both options will be appreciated.

Merry Xmas / Happy Holidays everyone.

Thank you.

Would 19'' OEM wheels/all season tires give you better look / performance over the 20'' OEM wheels/summer tires?

I believe your question is subjective so I will give my opinion on my choices.

I chose a Performance 3 w/o the upsized rims, etc because I actually prefer the look of the 19 vs 20 - I didn't want the tire side wall so small that it would be more easily damaged by the realities of my driving situation. Also I wanted better range than the sticky 20" tires provide.

My car came with 18" all seasons which I swapped immediately for 19" OEM all season sport tires; not only did I want the somewhat more performant tire I also happen to really like the OEM look. For me the 20s actually just seem too big, though the difference is subtle.

Looks == totally subjective
Performance == do you mean driving performance? Range? Braking? Define what you mean to help define the right choice ! :)

I believe your question is subjective so I will give my opinion on my choices.

I chose a Performance 3 w/o the upsized rims, etc because I actually prefer the look of the 19 vs 20 - I didn't want the tire side wall so small that it would be more easily damaged by the realities of my driving situation. Also I wanted better range than the sticky 20" tires provide.

My car came with 18" all seasons which I swapped immediately for 19" OEM all season sport tires; not only did I want the somewhat more performant tire I also happen to really like the OEM look. For me the 20s actually just seem too big, though the difference is subtle.

Looks == totally subjective
Performance == do you mean driving performance? Range? Braking? Define what you mean to help define the right choice ! :)

I think the main reason to upgrade to 20'' OEM tires will be to have tesla work on my suspension. I want to lower my M3 a bit more but after reading lot of comments regarding TSport and Mild UP, Tesla suspension upgrade seems a good option since I won't have to worry about any warranty issue and whatnot.

By performance I meant driving performance, better breaking, perhaps a bit more speed, better handling specially when doing speed turns.

Range is not much of the issue since even thou I drive close to 160 miles per day to go work, we have level 2 free chargers in our parking lot hence I get to charge it every time and if I go road trip, there's a lot of superchargers available for me to use.

Thank you in advance for the feedback.

Reactions: Msjulie
Yo Dog! Me, and my dark passenger pictured below waving, heard you liked wheel gap! So we added some wheel gap to your wheel gap!

Screen Shot 2018-12-25 at 12.18.34 PM.png

I'm not suggesting you get the above set-up because frankly it looks like dog butt. Not one of those sexy Furry LARP dogs, either. These are for a different purpose than normal driving around. Powersliding to a PB&B? OR; Wait, what did the AWD T/C-S/C just do?

However these 18" 245/40 200-treadwear tires, and the wheels that in total weigh almost exactly the same as the stock 18", on this non-P AWD have made clear to me that the stock MXM Primacy tires leave a lot of acceleration on the table ready to scoop up. Along with cornering of course. They also remind me the ways in which the stock 18" wheels are great; Much better range, quiet, pretty good on wet pavement.

They also go to the point that you don't need 20" rims, and the associated cost and risk of damage, to get a lot more performance. 18" rims with aggressive summer tires will get you a very long way.

• Funny
Reactions: 3laine and kbecks13
I actually chose to keep the Aero wheels and remove the caps. Definitely get the cap kit (lug nut covers/center caps). I think the spoke design gives it a "sportier" look. I do also like the 19'' wheels but I figured I'd use that money saved for tint/chrome delete.

I've been thinking on either get TSport or Mild UP springs and but it seems Tesla sells an upgraded? suspension if you buy their 20'' OEM tires.

The different suspension is only when you purchase the Performance 3 from them as a new car. It looks like the 20" wheels on the website come with 2x rear upper fore links, but those aren't going to lower the car at all. If you want to lower the car, you will need to get either lowering springs or aftermarket coilovers.

I think the main reason to upgrade to 20'' OEM tires will be to have tesla work on my suspension. I want to lower my M3 a bit more but after reading lot of comments regarding TSport and Mild UP, Tesla suspension upgrade seems a good option since I won't have to worry about any warranty issue and whatnot.

By performance I meant driving performance, better breaking, perhaps a bit more speed, better handling specially when doing speed turns.

Range is not much of the issue since even thou I drive close to 160 miles per day to go work, we have level 2 free chargers in our parking lot hence I get to charge it every time and if I go road trip, there's a lot of superchargers available for me to use.

I'm one of the few that actually knows what you're talking about. You're referring to the 20" sport wheel package on Tesla's Shop, right? Well, the reason they need to upgrade your suspension is NOT to increase handling performance, it's to make room for the bigger wheels (told to me by Tesla service who installed them for me).

I got the 20" Sport wheels, but only had the suspension updated, because I won't need the wheels on the car until summer. My car is on my 19" Sport wheels OEM All-Season Continentals for winter. I'll start buying performance snow tires once these OEM tires wear out.

Anyways, I digress. The suspension update for me with the same wheels before and after didn't make a noticeable difference, so don't expect anything from it.

For me, the 20" wheels were worth it because I prefer summer and snow tires over all-season tires and I wanted to buy an extra set of rims anyways. Might as well get the 20" summer wheels for $500 more.

The continental tires feel too squishy to me coming from my A-spec stick TL. I haven't driven on all season tires for 10+ years. When you go to summer tires, it's a whole new ball game. The sidewalls are much stiffer, and the rubber is more sticky. That equates to very responsive, solid feeling cornering. If Tesla sold the 19" wheels with summer tires, I'd consider it. The 20" tires are slightly more responsive due to the fact that the sidewall is stiffer because of a shorter tire depth, reducing the amount of travel that the sidewall can flex. BUT, the 19" wheels would likely perform better at a track. From what I understand, you're quicker on 19" wheels over 20" wheels. Honestly, I love the feeling of corning (I live in Boulder, CO) and don't care much about tracking the car, so the 20s are a better fit for what I'm after. Plus, I think they look better. Damn sexy. I powder coated mine black. Can't wait to put them on!

P.S. I prefer OEM wheels over aftermarket wheels because I know the rim is engineered perfectly for the car. I don't know if that's true or not, but being lazy and just wanting to move forward, it sounds logical to me :) Plus I think they look great and I love the black center cover, especially since it's likely engineered to increase range. I think it looks cool, especially knowing there's an engineering reason behind them. Standard rims are boring. Too much silver. I'm not a fan of T-sportline's wheels or the aftermarket turbine wheels. I think Tesla's look and function the best.

I stated a lot of knowledge and opinion here, but I'm open to criticism if you think I'm wrong. Maybe I am.

Tesla does not lower your car with the 20” package. They will only install end links that have zero affect on ride height.

The different suspension is only when you purchase the Performance 3 from them as a new car. It looks like the 20" wheels on the website come with 2x rear upper fore links, but those aren't going to lower the car at all. If you want to lower the car, you will need to get either lowering springs or aftermarket coilovers.

I see, I was under the impression that they did lower the car a bit.

I'm one of the few that actually knows what you're talking about. You're referring to the 20" sport wheel package on Tesla's Shop, right? Well, the reason they need to upgrade your suspension is NOT to increase handling performance, it's to make room for the bigger wheels (told to me by Tesla service who installed them for me).

I got the 20" Sport wheels, but only had the suspension updated, because I won't need the wheels on the car until summer. My car is on my 19" Sport wheels OEM All-Season Continentals for winter. I'll start buying performance snow tires once these OEM tires wear out.

Anyways, I digress. The suspension update for me with the same wheels before and after didn't make a noticeable difference, so don't expect anything from it.

For me, the 20" wheels were worth it because I prefer summer and snow tires over all-season tires and I wanted to buy an extra set of rims anyways. Might as well get the 20" summer wheels for $500 more.

The continental tires feel too squishy to me coming from my A-spec stick TL. I haven't driven on all season tires for 10+ years. When you go to summer tires, it's a whole new ball game. The sidewalls are much stiffer, and the rubber is more sticky. That equates to very responsive, solid feeling cornering. If Tesla sold the 19" wheels with summer tires, I'd consider it. The 20" tires are slightly more responsive due to the fact that the sidewall is stiffer because of a shorter tire depth, reducing the amount of travel that the sidewall can flex. BUT, the 19" wheels would likely perform better at a track. From what I understand, you're quicker on 19" wheels over 20" wheels. Honestly, I love the feeling of corning (I live in Boulder, CO) and don't care much about tracking the car, so the 20s are a better fit for what I'm after. Plus, I think they look better. Damn sexy. I powder coated mine black. Can't wait to put them on!

P.S. I prefer OEM wheels over aftermarket wheels because I know the rim is engineered perfectly for the car. I don't know if that's true or not, but being lazy and just wanting to move forward, it sounds logical to me :) Plus I think they look great and I love the black center cover, especially since it's likely engineered to increase range. I think it looks cool, especially knowing there's an engineering reason behind them. Standard rims are boring. Too much silver. I'm not a fan of T-sportline's wheels or the aftermarket turbine wheels. I think Tesla's look and function the best.

I stated a lot of knowledge and opinion here, but I'm open to criticism if you think I'm wrong. Maybe I am.

The 20'' OEM looks nice but I think I'll keep my 19'' OEM, powder coat them metallic gray and either use UP Mild or TSport springs. I think it combines best with my red M3.

Tesla does not lower your car with the 20” package. They will only install end links that have zero affect on ride height.

Got it. Thank you all for your input =)

I see, I was under the impression that they did lower the car a bit.

The 20'' OEM looks nice but I think I'll keep my 19'' OEM, powder coat them metallic gray and either use UP Mild or TSport springs. I think it combines best with my red M3.

Got it. Thank you all for your input =)
If I were to update the suspension, I'd go with Mountain Pass Performance hands down. These guys are hyper focused on the model 3.

Hmm, I think I've found the answer to my question:

Yep, you basically lose suspension travel and the spring to damper rates are not well matched. Aftermarket coilovers like MPP or Unplugged are also adjustable so you can make them more firm for the track and then softer for street driving.

If you are on a budget and aren't doing very aggressive driving, then lowering springs aren't too bad. If you're planning to go to the track a few times, i'd suggest getting coilovers.