Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" vs 20" pics?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love it! Only problem now is finding A/S tires in that size... Almost non existent. I know for a 9" wheel 275s are really ideal, but thoughts on going with the stock width 245/40/20 on the 9" TSTs? I'm leaning towards the Continental DWS06

Yes, you can use other tire sizes with the 20x9 wheel. According to Tyre Size Calculator, 20x9 wheels can fit 245-255 tires ideally, or 235 tires minimum, 265 tires maximum.

Also, the specs on the 245/40R20 Continental DWS 06 show that the tire fits rim widths 8.0 - 9.5".

For reference, here are the suitable tire sizes for 20x9 wheels on the model S. I'm showing the tire size, and the percentage circumference difference that tire has when compared to the stock 245/45R19 tires. Differences less than 2.5% are acceptable, but ideally you'd like it within 1%.

255/35R20 -2.5%
265/35R20 -2.5%
245/40R20 0.0% (equal circumference to 245/45R19)
255/40R20 +1.1%
265/40R20 +1.1%

As requested:

TST20-Back2.jpg

TST20-Back3.jpg
Amazing! Staggered? I'm looking in to the grey turbine. I hope they're the exact same as the 21's in color and look.

Amazing! Staggered? I'm looking in to the grey turbine. I hope they're the exact same as the 21's in color and look.

No, these aren't staggered, they're in a square setup. All 4 wheels are 20x9, all 4 tires are 255/40R20.

Though the staggered look is awesome, the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are not cheap, and I want to rotate them often to maximize their life. Staggered setups limit your rotation options.

Reactions: Tellotes
I went with 245/40/20 for my 9" TST 20s ,Pirelli Cinturato P7, so far so good (I have had them on all of 4 hours now:))View attachment 177006View attachment 177007

Hi guys, I'm looking at some T Sportline 20" turbines myself, just curious on the ride and road noise. I'm on springs and the 20" looks like the sweetspot between looks and ride comfort. Just wondering what your experience is after having them on for a few weeks. I had been thinking of just getting the 19" to make life easier but just love the look of the 20"s. Any advice appreciated!

Got a question. I also was searching 245/40R20 wheels but my tire shop said 245 tires are usually rated 95 and I need XL tires for my Model S. That guy recommend that I choose 255/40R20 instead to get XL rating. What do you think?

Your tire shop is speaking of the load rating (LL, SL or XL), as well as a related parameter, the service description of the tire. The critical parameter is the service description, which consists of a 2- or 3-digit number (called the load index) and a letter (called the speed rating), usually shown right after the size of the tire on the sidewall. Whatever tire you buy, it needs to have a service description that is equal to or exceeds the original manufacturer's tire fitting.

The original tires on the car are a Michelin Primacy MXM4, size 245/45R19, service description 98W, load rating SL. The service description of 98W indicates that the tire is rated at a load index of 98, which corresponds to a weight-carrying capacity of 1653 lbs, and a speed rating of W, which corresponds to a maximum speed of 168 MPH. The load rating of SL indicates standard load, meaning that the tire can carry its rated 1653 lbs of weight as long as the tire pressure is 35 psi or above.

Let's look at a tire in a 20" size, the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, size 245/40R20, service description 99V, load rating XL. The increased load index component of the service description (99) corresponds to a higher weight-carrying capacity of 1709 lbs, but the speed rating of V corresponds to a lower maximum speed of 149 MPH. The XL load rating means that the tire can carry its rated 1709 lbs of weight as long as the tire pressure is 41 psi or above.

This tire would be fine for use on the Model S, as the load index is greater than the manufacturer's original tire fitment (98 = 1653 lbs), but your minimum pressure for this tire is higher -- you should not inflate is less than 41 psi to ensure that the tire can carry its rated load.

There is no need to get any specific load rating for the Model S as long as the load index in the service description is at least 98. You can use a 98 load index tire that is SL or XL load rated, just pay attention to the minimum pressure required.

I have fit my car with two other sets of tires:

Winter: Nokian WRG3 245/45R19, 102V XL. 102 = load carrying capacity of 1874 lbs, V = speed rating of 149 MPH, XL = requires 41 psi minimum pressure.

Summer: Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/40R20, 101Y XL. 101 = load carrying capacity of 1819 lbs, Y = speed rating of 186 MPH, XL = requires 41 psi minimum pressure.

Your tire shop is speaking of the load rating (LL, SL or XL), as well as a related parameter, the service description of the tire. The critical parameter is the service description, which consists of a 2- or 3-digit number (called the load index) and a letter (called the speed rating), usually shown right after the size of the tire on the sidewall. Whatever tire you buy, it needs to have a service description that is equal to or exceeds the original manufacturer's tire fitting.

The original tires on the car are a Michelin Primacy MXM4, size 245/45R19, service description 98W, load rating SL. The service description of 98W indicates that the tire is rated at a load index of 98, which corresponds to a weight-carrying capacity of 1653 lbs, and a speed rating of W, which corresponds to a maximum speed of 168 MPH. The load rating of SL indicates standard load, meaning that the tire can carry its rated 1653 lbs of weight as long as the tire pressure is 35 psi or above.

Let's look at a tire in a 20" size, the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, size 245/40R20, service description 99V, load rating XL. The increased load index component of the service description (99) corresponds to a higher weight-carrying capacity of 1709 lbs, but the speed rating of V corresponds to a lower maximum speed of 149 MPH. The XL load rating means that the tire can carry its rated 1709 lbs of weight as long as the tire pressure is 41 psi or above.

This tire would be fine for use on the Model S, as the load index is greater than the manufacturer's original tire fitment (98 = 1653 lbs), but your minimum pressure for this tire is higher -- you should not inflate is less than 41 psi to ensure that the tire can carry its rated load.

There is no need to get any specific load rating for the Model S as long as the load index in the service description is at least 98. You can use a 98 load index tire that is SL or XL load rated, just pay attention to the minimum pressure required.

Winter: Nokian WRG3 245/45R19, 102V XL. 102 = load carrying capacity of 1874 lbs, V = speed rating of 149 MPH, XL = requires 41 psi minimum pressure.

Summer: Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/40R20, 101Y XL. 101 = load carrying capacity of 1819 lbs, Y = speed rating of 186 MPH, XL = requires 41 psi minimum pressure.
Thanks for educating me on how to read tire specs. I didn't know in detail. And I learned why my tire guy recommended 255 - I was trying to use Bridgestone Potenza S001 245/40R20 95Y, and my factory standard tire (in Japan) is Michelin PS3 245/45R19 which is 102Y. So from what I learned from you, if I go to Bridgestone I need at least 98Y, so I needed 255.

However I also found that Bridgestone has S001 245/40R20 95Y and 99W so if I choose 99W I can use 245.

Phew. Thanks again.

Thanks for educating me on how to read tire specs. I didn't know in detail. And I learned why my tire guy recommended 255 - I was trying to use Bridgestone Potenza S001 245/40R20 95Y, and my factory standard tire (in Japan) is Michelin PS3 245/45R19 which is 102Y. So from what I learned from you, if I go to Bridgestone I need at least 98Y, so I needed 255.

However I also found that Bridgestone has S001 245/40R20 95Y and 99W so if I choose 99W I can use 245.

Yes, the Bridgestone tire with the 99W service description would be excellent. And your tire shop was correct in that the 95Y would not be rated to carry the model S if it were fully loaded.

You should of course expect that the Bridgestone tire with the 99W service description will cost more than the one with the 95Y service description.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy

Hi SomeJoe7777, I've just received my T-Sportline 20"s and shopping for tyres now, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/40R20 seem ton be winning for me as the best option, how are you finding them? Particularly with road noise, would you recommend? Cheers!

SomeJoe7777, I had a question as well. I talked to getyourwheels on this forum and he said that he doesn't recommend the 255 for the front wheels due to rubbing issues could you please comment on this, have you noticed rubbing at full turn of the wheel?

thanks

Hi SomeJoe7777, I've just received my T-Sportline 20"s and shopping for tyres now, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/40R20 seem ton be winning for me as the best option, how are you finding them? Particularly with road noise, would you recommend? Cheers!

Hey bradjc,

I love the feel of the Pilot Super Sports, they're excellent tires. Road noise level is quite good. I definitely would recommend.

The only thing I might have done differently is considered the 245/40R20 vice the 255/40R20. The 255's will rub the inside front wheel wells when going in reverse and the steering wheel is turned more than about 3/4 of a turn. However, I think that is a fair trade-off for the ~1 cm wider tread and corresponding look.

Reactions: bradjc
Hey bradjc,

I love the feel of the Pilot Super Sports, they're excellent tires. Road noise level is quite good. I definitely would recommend.

The only thing I might have done differently is considered the 245/40R20 vice the 255/40R20. The 255's will rub the inside front wheel wells when going in reverse and the steering wheel is turned more than about 3/4 of a turn. However, I think that is a fair trade-off for the ~1 cm wider tread and corresponding look.

Thanks of the reply, glad you like them! Interesting that small of a margin will give you the rub. The tyre shop is recommending the Michelin Primacy 245/40/20s the Tesla because of the low noise and he said has fitted them before for a good result. I like the look and performance of the Pilot Super Sports, I might got for 245 just to avoid any rubbing noise though. Thanks for the tip.