Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" vs 20" pics?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A small update on the Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/40R20 tires on the 20x9 T Sportline turbine wheels. I now have about 6,500 miles on these tires.

Pros:
  • Handling / traction / performance in dry conditions is awesome ... very grippy.
  • Handling / traction / performance in wet conditions is also excellent, which is somewhat surprising for tire with a low amount of siping.
  • Noise level is quite low, and rotations have kept it low.
Cons:
  • Tread wear trend is showing that I will reach the legal tread wear limit at approximately 20,000 miles. Original tread depth was 7.9 mm, all 4 tires are now averaging about 5.9 mm @ 6,500 miles.
  • High cost. There are other tires that are close to this tire's performance for less money.
  • 255/40R20 does have a slight rub on the front wheel wells when going in reverse and steering wheel is turned more than 3/4 turn. Use 245/40R20 if this is bothersome.
  • This tire increases energy usage about 10-15% over the Michelin Primacy MXM4 in dry conditions.
  • This tire is heavily affected in energy usage by rain/wet conditions. In heavy rain, I'm averaging close to 400 Wh/mi at only 68 MPH.
That said, I would buy these again for a summer tire.

A small update on the Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/40R20 tires on the 20x9 T Sportline turbine wheels. I now have about 6,500 miles on these tires.

Pros:
  • Handling / traction / performance in dry conditions is awesome ... very grippy.
  • Handling / traction / performance in wet conditions is also excellent, which is somewhat surprising for tire with a low amount of siping.
  • Noise level is quite low, and rotations have kept it low.
Cons:
  • Tread wear trend is showing that I will reach the legal tread wear limit at approximately 20,000 miles. Original tread depth was 7.9 mm, all 4 tires are now averaging about 5.9 mm @ 6,500 miles.
  • High cost. There are other tires that are close to this tire's performance for less money.
  • 255/40R20 does have a slight rub on the front wheel wells when going in reverse and steering wheel is turned more than 3/4 turn. Use 245/40R20 if this is bothersome.
  • This tire increases energy usage about 10-15% over the Michelin Primacy MXM4 in dry conditions.
  • This tire is heavily affected in energy usage by rain/wet conditions. In heavy rain, I'm averaging close to 400 Wh/mi at only 68 MPH.
That said, I would buy these again for a summer tire.

Thanks for the update SomeJoe7777, I'm running the same setup as you, have done 1,000kms in a week only, but so far impressed. The margins are tight for me but don't get a rub in hard lock which I was expecting from your experience. Possibly a slight touch but I can't feel it. Otherwise all seems the same as your review. Really love the look of the 20" T-Sportlines over stock, finished the car off for me, but I've kept my stock 19" slipstreams as alternative tyres. There are compromises which ever wheels you go for, but I think this is the sweet spot and for me this is the perfect setup. Thanks for the early advice!

Thanks for the update SomeJoe7777, I'm running the same setup as you, have done 1,000kms in a week only, but so far impressed. The margins are tight for me but don't get a rub in hard lock which I was expecting from your experience. Possibly a slight touch but I can't feel it.

Cool! I wonder if the front tire/wheel clearances are slightly larger for you either due to RWD (I'm AWD), or coil suspension (I'm on air).

Cool! I wonder if the front tire/wheel clearances are slightly larger for you either due to RWD (I'm AWD), or coil suspension (I'm on air).

Ah! Yep, I bet that's it. I have the RWD 70 on coils so might be the difference. Every car slightly different when it comes down to millimetres so might just be lucky, but I bet you're right. When I had tyres installed my tyre guy told me it was a close fit for the rears, he said was only a 5mm clearance. Wouldn't take much mud in there to get in the way. Only thing right now is my Tesla TPM sensors not connecting properly to the car, going in today for SC to take a look. Hoping my non OEM wheels don't stop them helping me out.

I had a TPMS issue with my first set of TST wheels. I purchased the TPMS modules from Tesla but they sold me the wrong ones. My vehicle is newer and uses the Continental TPMS sensors, whereas they sold me the Baolong sensors for the older models.

They were able to tell which sensors were installed in the wheels using a scanning device they had. When they told me they were the wrong ones, they offered to replace them for me.

I had a TPMS issue with my first set of TST wheels. I purchased the TPMS modules from Tesla but they sold me the wrong ones. My vehicle is newer and uses the Continental TPMS sensors, whereas they sold me the Baolong sensors for the older models.

They were able to tell which sensors were installed in the wheels using a scanning device they had. When they told me they were the wrong ones, they offered to replace them for me.

Ah ok. Not sure of the issue but they fixed them. 3 out of 4 were recognised but the tech guy said they needed to be coded to the car by plugging in a service computer and connecting them manually. I have a 2 week old car and the TPM sensors they sold me were Tesla branded so not sure what the issue was. Working now though!

Just FYI I purchased TSW Nurburgring 20" 9.0J wheels with Bridgestone Potenza S001 255/40R20 for P85 RWD car.
As @SomeJoe7777 mentioned above, I have some tire rubbing in front tires when the car is going reverse. Strangely in my case the rub is biggest at 3/4 to lock (but still slight rub), and very very slight at full lock. My car is Air suspension.

I also experienced 10% higher energy consumption... just spent 2000km (1250 miles) but it's not getting better. Didn't think tires affect this much range!

I've posted these photos in a few other places so forgive me if you've seen before. Hope everyone else is enjoying their 20 inch wheels as much as I am.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Do you have to change anything in the car's programming or settings when you change tire/wheel sizes? I love the look of the 20"s BTW!

When the car recognizes new TPMS modules in the new wheels, it will ask you if you have 19" or 21" wheels on the car. I have been using the 21" setting for the 20" wheels. I believe this selector only controls energy estimates, it doesn't actuate any other changes.

If you re-use the same TPMS modules, you can force this selection box to come up by going into the settings and doing a "Reset TPMS".

Question on 20" rims and curb rashes. With the 21" combo, the rim sticks out pretty far, but with my current 19" there it seems like there is enough protection for a light graze on a curb. How about the 20" with 245s?

Anyone have a pic showing the tire to rim overlap with the 245 and/or 255 tire?

Thanks!