Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1938241-00-A Smart Current Limits Meter - Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if this part allows the wall charger to connect directly to the meter like the Tesla Backup Switch does.

If it did, I would suspect the eall connector manual would make reference to hoe to connect to the meter and what functionality it would provide.

I'm having one of these installed right now with my charger. It communicates with the wall charger, and adjusts the vehicle charging current to your home needs. Doesn't cut off like a DCC would.

I only have a 70a service, so this allows me to go all the way up to 48a if nothing else in the home is being used at night. If the panel is at a higher load, it will turn down the charge rate but not shut it off completely.

It's a repurposed Neurio kit with Tesla firmware.

Reactions: DBeckwith
I got a response from Tesla online order:

"This is a meter installed to verify how much power is being drawn on the panel. The meter is connected to the Wall Connector so it can monitor this energy to know how fast it can charge.
Let’s say you have a 100 amp panel and per code load calculations has 70 amps taken up, so would only be able to install the Wall Connector as a 30 amp breaker normally. With the Smart Current Limits function, it can be installed up to a full 60 amp breaker and vary it’s charge rate accordingly based off what other appliances are using power. During the evening when there may be high power use (electric range cooking, TVs, stereos, video game consoles being used, etc) there may be 60 amps of draw by other appliances, leaving only 40 amps left over for the Wall Connector to charge at. At 2 am when the household is sleeping, there may only be 30 amps of draw by other appliances, meaning the Wall Connector can use the full 60 amp capability."

"This allows some owners to still install the Wall Connector at full or a higher capability without needing to do a panel upgrade, which may add several thousand dollars to a Wall Connector installation, expanding our products to even more potential owners."

Ill
Can you send pictures and is there an installation manual with more information?
I'll ask my electrician and see if I can post some pictures. This is apparently one of the first installs, so I want to make sure it's ok to post.

I'm under the impression it's only available to their high volume installers right now.

There was no documentation in the box, just the unit.

These seem perfect for everyone who is load limited on their panels. I was originally only going to be able to run my charger on a 20a breaker per the load limits to stay in code. I can now run it off a 60a breaker.

Price was less than a DCC install as well.

These seem perfect for everyone who is load limited on their panels.

Agreed. This is a game changer for limited level two charging infrastructure. Condos, apartments, old buildings, motels, employee charging are now greatly simplified. You only need an available 60 amp breaker in the main panel. If not a subpanel may allow expansion without replacing the service panel. So much easier and cheaper.

If you can't reveal details can you at least let us know how we can rough-in for future installation? I'm using 6 guage wire with a 20 amp circuit in hopes of upgrading to 60 amps when this becomes available.

Tesla online answered my question about availability:

Since this is a pilot program, we are not selling them yet directly.

Some electricians on our list offer it.
You may be able to find an electrician by calling those on our list.

You can also email [email protected] with your location to inquire if there is an electrician in your area to do this.

Ill

I'll ask my electrician and see if I can post some pictures. This is apparently one of the first installs, so I want to make sure it's ok to post.

I'm under the impression it's only available to their high volume installers right now.

There was no documentation in the box, just the unit.

These seem perfect for everyone who is load limited on their panels. I was originally only going to be able to run my charger on a 20a breaker per the load limits to stay in code. I can now run it off a 60a breaker.

Price was less than a DCC in
Agreed. This is a game changer for limited level two charging infrastructure. Condos, apartments, old buildings, motels, employee charging are now greatly simplified. You only need an available 60 amp breaker in the main panel. If not a subpanel may allow expansion without replacing the service panel. So much easier and cheaper.

If you can't reveal details can you at least let us know how we can rough-in for future installation? I'm using 6 guage wire with a 20 amp circuit in hopes of upgrading to 60 amps when this becomes available.

Can you send pictures and is there an installation manual with more information?

It fits in the panel. Pretty small unit. Needs a separate 2 wire communication cable run from the panel to the wall charger.

Attachments

• PSX_20230426_140917.jpg
    PSX_20230426_140917.jpg
    583.6 KB · Views: 280
Actually there is a two wire orange and white connector on the back of the Wall Connector circuit board not being used.

Also, looks like the wire part number is 1133339-00-A which the parts catalog describes as: 'WIRE,HRNS,FLYINGLEADS,UK,RS485,GATEWAY'

This page has a video under the "Remote Metering" section which gives clues:

Last edited:
I had 2 Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connectors installed this past week with 2 of these Tesla Smart Meters. These are definitely new to Tesla installers; had a few “how-to” hiccups when commissioning — Tesla could do better to provide better documentation to their installer partner network.

At first I though power sharing would’ve done this, but these meters are more advanced (wall connectors force power sharing to be disabled if smart metering is used).

These meters were very useful for my use-case, upgrading my panel would’ve been significantly more expensive.

Two Smart Meters on one panel? I would think one could control multiple Wall Connectors.

Did your installation communicate through the RS-485 port or wifi?
This is simpler than dealing with loss of communication issues between leader and follower WCs with dynamic limits.
It does bring in its own funky behavior due to first come first served current allocation, at least until both WCs get throttled due to other-load changes.
I'm assuming there is some hysteresis and/or long time constant low pass filter when increasing the allowed current setpoint to prevent oscillations.

Reactions: DBeckwith
Two Smart Meters on one panel? I would think one could control multiple Wall Connectors.

Did your installation communicate through the RS-485 port or wifi?
Each wall connector appears to need its own smart meter unit. Ideally Tesla

Connection was via RS-485 port (connected to meter’s COMMS port in the attached pictures). The wall connector’s admin will show the corresponding meter in the “metering” section when connected. I did connect the meter to my home Wi-Fi via the meter’s local web console after installation was complete, but it doesn’t look like it provides any additional functionality. I was trying to use Neurio PWRview app but it can’t detect the units — tried disabling a bunch of firewall & security rules on my eero network but no luck…yet.

There’s a smart meter unit hidden behind all those wires in one of the pictures :)

Attachments

• IMG_2667.jpeg
    IMG_2667.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_2642.jpeg
    IMG_2642.jpeg
    492.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2643.jpeg
    IMG_2643.jpeg
    453.3 KB · Views: 157
Dang. I want this!

I have a 200a panel, but have 3 AC units (9 tons of cooling), two electric ovens, electric dryer, and a electric heated swim current pool that has a 7.5hp motor for the swim current. It all works fine, but I feel like I’m living on the edge.

Reactions: P120D1GY