Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1938241-00-A Smart Current Limits Meter - Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did connect the meter to my home Wi-Fi via the meter’s local web console after installation was complete, but it doesn’t look like it provides any additional functionality.
I suspect wifi is required for firmware updates as mentioned in the "Remote Metering" video I cited earlier.

What revision version is your WC (last character of part number). Early versions of WC 3 didn't have RS-485 populated.

Reactions: P120D1GY
How far does your communication wire run? Can I assume it ran with the WC power cables?
First charger is about 15 ft of conduit to install location, the second charger is roughly 25-30 ft (opposite side of garage). It appears installer ran with the WC power cables, not sure if they ran additional shielding on the wire or if / how they extended. I can pull the WC face to take a look at the wirebox in a few days.

I suspect wifi is required for firmware updates as mentioned in the "Remote Metering" video I cited earlier.

What revision version is your WC (last character of part number). Early versions of WC 3 didn't have RS-485 populated.

WC Revision Numbers
Tesla Wall Connector for Tesla vehicles:
1457768-02-G

Tesla Wall Connector for Non-Tesla vehicles (J1772 plug — for an upcoming non-Tesla delivery)
1509549-02-B

I purchased both WC units about 2 weeks ago from Tesla’s online shop, they both should be latest revisions.

At this point in time I no longer need this part. My electrician is able to pull higher guage wires to upgrade our subpanel to 100 amps.

I'm still interested, however.

As you all know, once you own a Tesla you become an EV ambassador so to speak. As such, questions about home charging options can't be answered with just a shrug. In my opinion, this product makes most installations that are too complex or too expensive moot.

An official installation manual would help us be better ambassadors.

Reactions: P120D1GY
Wow, this sounds interesting. On the European side the home grid connections are typically three-phase connections, which makes the load sharing even more important. For example, I have 3x25A @ 230V, 17 kW total power, each phase can be loaded up to 5.7 kW. The difficulty is that the car loads each phase evenly, so the charge current must be adapted to the available current of the most loaded phase.

Even a 3rd-party integration would be quite a killer app for Tesla's favor, as the TWC v.3 is also a very affordable device. The biggest reason Tesla drivers choose something else is the lack of smart current limiting.

Interesting.

I wonder why Tesla don't promote this since it is a relatively simple approach to much of the charging infrastructure challenges. Think of the people who won't consider EVs because of perceived prohibited "home" charging options. Think of the money that could be saved if just a few electricians knew of this option. Almost any site with limited electrical capacity could support level 2 charging without upgrading facility electrical system.

Exactly. There are many 3rd party wall connectors which have either wired or wireless current sensors to limit the charge current on peak loads. It would be so nice to have a this kind of sensor unit with three current loops, connecting either over WiFi or RS-485. Or, have an open interface towards TWC v.3, so that a 3rd party device could control it.

I'm using 3x10A and only overnight charging (starting at 11PM), so that at all times my house could use the remaining 3x15A. Most of the time I would have at least 3x16A available for charging, but I need to plan for the worst overnight case.

Last edited:
Looking at post #37 (1938241-00-A Smart Current Limits Meter - Wall Connector), I'd like to have a device with three current sensor loops (for each of the three phases), with either WiFi or RS-485 communication.

On TWC side I would like to be able to specify that TWC should adjust the charge current signal so that the most loaded phase would not exceed a configured limit, like 25A in my case.

I bet many people would be willing to pay more than half of the price of a TWC for such a device.

I just looked at the configuration page of my TWC. I have the same firmware version, but there's no 'Metering' configuration.

I'm having one of these installed right now with my charger. It communicates with the wall charger, and adjusts the vehicle charging current to your home needs. Doesn't cut off like a DCC would.

I only have a 70a service, so this allows me to go all the way up to 48a if nothing else in the home is being used at night. If the panel is at a higher load, it will turn down the charge rate but not shut it off completely.

It's a repurposed Neurio kit with Tesla firmware.
Hello,
How has this worked out for you so far? Any issues or glitches seen from time to time? I am considering going with this solution as well and would like to know how the system works, reliability etc. Thanks

It fits in the panel. Pretty small unit. Needs a separate 2 wire communication cable run from the panel to the wall charger.
Hi, would,you mind taking 2 more pictures? I want to see the comm connection of the Neurio and the second one back of the Wall connector RS 485 (I want to see where the wires are connected (position wise) on both the neurio and wall connector) thanks!

First charger is about 15 ft of conduit to install location, the second charger is roughly 25-30 ft (opposite side of garage). It appears installer ran with the WC power cables, not sure if they ran additional shielding on the wire or if / how they extended. I can pull the WC face to take a look at the wirebox in a few days.
would love such a picture. I’m wondering which terminal on the TWC rs485 is the wire connected to.

There’s more in this thread. Sounds really promising!

Here’s the description on Tesla’s site:

And here’s the $250 product you need to buy:

Thanks for the details on this. Going to give it a shot as this will work great with my Model Y that is coming in on Saturday. I will put up the Tesla Wall Connector and this device into the electrical panel. I already have an Emporia Energy Smart Vue system that I'll have to determine if both devices can play nicely with each other. If not, guess I will need to decide if I want dynamic power management on my EVSE or whole home power monitoring. I went with the refurbished version to save some coin over the $250 package. Neurio part #1112484-99-A and data cable part #1133339-00-A which were $100 shipped.

Also, this should work well with my Tesla installed solar panels and battery backup system. At least from what I've read.

I'll follow the guide that someone recently posted here: DIY Tesla Wall Connector with Load Management

Reactions: DBeckwith