Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1kW charging at an airport: Awesome or Weird?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Missile Toad

MSLR Wht/Blk/19 | OD 6/10/21 | RN11512
Aug 30, 2016
30.04, -95.16
So, Tesla has added to its 'findus' web-page a 40-slot Destination Charger near the Denver Airport: Fine Parking ( <- Plugshare). Tesla's site indicates it to be 'up to 16kW', but one Model S driver indicates it to be closer to 1kW, via Plugshare. The parking seems to be upscale parking called Fine Parking. Cost is about $19/daily.

Here is Tesla's alleged power output

The more I think about it, the more I like it (except for the sloppy data entry to the Tesla database). 1kW gets you about 4-5 mph on a Model S, which is plenty to accomplish three goals of people using the airport:
1. Charging for 24 hours will more than sufficiently fill you to make the long drive back home, in most cases;
2. The car can be pre-heated using the iPhone as people disembark the plane
3. No need to bring the UMC with you to the airport.

I don't know what the habits are of ICE parkers in Denver, but I suppose risks of Internal Combustion conflicts at each space are going to be low, given that there are so many of them.

My guess is someone set the dial wrong in the HPWCs.

But yes, airports and other longer duration destinations are treated well by low wattage chargers.

It would be better if there was an option to reserve a charging spot in their web page.

Something is wrong with one of the numbers. The Plugshare entry said charging at 12A, 215V. If so, that should result in a Model S getting 7 or 8 miles/ hour, not 4 as listed.
I agree. I took the 'initial MPH' given by the one check-in, and counted the kW needed for that. On reflection, the car will report an _average_ MPH, while it ramps up the Amps & Volts -- so the reported A*V multiplies out to 2.5 kW. It is likely that if the driver's check-in persisted through an hour, he would have reported 7-8 MPH, as you stated.
So a drained 0 RM Model S 70D would require 30 hours to reach 100% charge using 8 MPH.