Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.0 vs 3.0 USB?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
The car is USB2, so no it won't matter.

This is a software issue, not HW... there's been a bunch of issues with recording in the year+ since dashcam launched, and you'll find a huge megathread with everybody swearing up and down THEIR storage works great and therefore it'll work great for everyone...

But every type of storage- USB keys, SDcards, and SSDs, have all seen every issue over the year+ (0 byte repeater files, green choppy video, corrupted files, 'too slow' messages, etc).

So far all of em but too slow have gotten resolved via software updates eventually... (and the too slow has gotten better, or worse, via software updates for various folks over time).

I've personally never seen the too slow using a Samsung Fit Plus 128GB USB key.

But that's not necessarily helpful to you since it's pretty obviously not a HW problem.

The dashcam is only writing 2 MB per second.

Teslas manual suggests you need a device that can write 4 MB per second.

The slowest USB storage out there of any size can do sustained writes in the ~10MB/s range. Many 3-6 times faster than that, even on USB 2.

It's not a hardware problem- it's a software problem.

Two things that can POTENTIALLY help-

1) Don't put music and dashcam on the same drive so that it's not getting 2 different IO requests at the same time.

2) Keep your drive cleaned out. Flash media (ALL types including SSDs) get slower as they fill up.. especially much past 75% full. I pull my drive every 2-3 months and delete off anything I don't need so it's never more than 40-60% full...and again have never had a problem with the 'too slow' thing.

Just get USB 3.0. They will be faster than USB 2.0 drives even at 2.0 speeds. The price difference is just a few dollars.

Not worth getting the error your drive is too slow and having TeslaCam stop recording unexpectedly.

I am using a Samsung BAR 128GB.

The car is USB2, so no it won't matter.

This is a software issue, not HW... there's been a bunch of issues with recording in the year+ since dashcam launched, and you'll find a huge megathread with everybody swearing up and down THEIR storage works great and therefore it'll work great for everyone...

But every type of storage- USB keys, SDcards, and SSDs, have all seen every issue over the year+ (0 byte repeater files, green choppy video, corrupted files, 'too slow' messages, etc).

So far all of em but too slow have gotten resolved via software updates eventually... (and the too slow has gotten better, or worse, via software updates for various folks over time).

I've personally never seen the too slow using a Samsung Fit Plus 128GB USB key.

But that's not necessarily helpful to you since it's pretty obviously not a HW problem.

The dashcam is only writing 2 MB per second.

Teslas manual suggests you need a device that can write 4 MB per second.

The slowest USB storage out there of any size can do sustained writes in the ~10MB/s range. Many 3-6 times faster than that, even on USB 2.

It's not a hardware problem- it's a software problem.

Two things that can POTENTIALLY help-

1) Don't put music and dashcam on the same drive so that it's not getting 2 different IO requests at the same time.

2) Keep your drive cleaned out. Flash media (ALL types including SSDs) get slower as they fill up.. especially much past 75% full. I pull my drive every 2-3 months and delete off anything I don't need so it's never more than 40-60% full...and again have never had a problem with the 'too slow' thing.
+1 on this being a software problem. My wife and I have identical cars except for the color and identical flash drives. She has problems and I don't. We've swapped flash drives and same results... mine has never had a problem and she occasionally gets the too slow error.

It’s been stated the software problem causing this will be fixed on a soon coming release. I wish we knew this was so and not the usual BS from SCs and Tesla. Like what release and when?

We have this error on the Sandisk WiFi USB that is rated at many times the ‘required’ speed.

Reactions: vickh
It’s been stated the software problem causing this will be fixed on a soon coming release. I wish we knew this was so and not the usual BS from SCs and Tesla. Like what release and when?

We have this error on the Sandisk WiFi USB that is rated at many times the ‘required’ speed.

thanks for the reminder for the wifi usb. I might do an old phone w/ wifi + sd card. class 10 UHS should be good right?

128gb sd card - Office Depot

• Disagree
thanks for the reminder for the wifi usb. I might do an old phone w/ wifi + sd card. class 10 UHS should be good right?

128gb sd card - Office Depot
Not sure what you’re asking. Use a phone for recording? Use a card? Need to clarify. Some do use the hub that has the SDD drive but I’ve not gone that route. I was referring to the USB with the wifi access to get data off it.

Not sure what you’re asking. Use a phone for recording? Use a card? Need to clarify. Some do use the hub that has the SDD drive but I’ve not gone that route. I was referring to the USB with the wifi access to get data off it.

Yes you reminded me using an old phone for recording with a large microSD card. Then you use the phone's wifi to access the files. There was a thread about it.

Only negative is I believe the usb power stays on all the time and I'm not sure if it keeps the car awake.

• Disagree
I bought this one so I wouldn't accidentally snap it off in the storage compartment. Zero issues for me and the same with 2 friends (one M3 other MS) that have the exact drive.
I have one of those. It's also good, because it's hard to tell it's there. So, someday when thieves get smart and pull your USB stick when they break-in to your car, they may overlook the Sandisk UltraFit, because you can't see it, it's so dark in there, and you actually have difficulty even feeling that it's there, it's so flush.