Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.48.16 limits max autosteer speed to speed limit on local roads?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had mine in the SC and told them not to update. They asked why and I told them it was this restriction. Then the tech called me at home and asked why again, and I repeated the explanation. I hope there's even a slight chance that it goes up the chain of command that these negative changes are not acceptable to many of us.
Thanks!

definitely true. honestly, in northern VA if you are on 66 or 495 if there isn't heavy traffic and you are going the speed limit (55mph) you are an asshole. you are also operating your vehicle more dangerously than if you were traveling with the flow of traffic (generally somewhere between 65 and 75 mph).

however, if you are trying to get your vehicle to auto-drive itself in violation of existing laws, you are also an asshole. if you want to speed, put your hands on the wheel and drive it yourself with the rest of us law-breakers. it just makes sense to me that Tesla does not want to assume the liability of its autopilot willingly breaking traffic laws when it doesn't have to.
The namecalling isn't necessary, and is counterproductive to useful discussion. That said...

Is any speed limit sign "appropriate and reasonable" just because it's there? Is there any data that could convince you otherwise?

Reactions: mblakele
I just drove the car again. It appears that the HOLD WHEEL nag has increased to about 30 second intervals. I called the service center. They need to get this software off my car. I did not authorize the install of the software, the service center did it and it has crippled the AP for most of my daily driving. I use the software responsibly and constantly watch the road as if I am driving myself. This has gone too far!

Edit:
I just drove the car again. The nag does not kick in if you are doing the speed limit at 30 seconds. I am not sure when it did. I didn't drive it very far. However, if you press the accelerator to compensate for the slower speed the nag will start at 10 SECONDS!

Last edited:
Reactions: u00mem9
When in Rome, drive a scooter:

2000 : who cares about helmets? Well of course they're mandatory but it's too hot.
2005: OK now we all wear helmets but who cares about reserved bus lanes (in one-way streets, in the opposite direction). They're really fast when you're on a scooter.
2010: OK now there are camera's on those bus lanes, so we get fined for using them, but at least we can drive as fast as we want.
2015: Radars all over the city. Pfff, we might as well keep to speed limits because this is getting expensive.

Same evolution in Belgium : whereas in 2010 people in front of me driving at exactly the speed limit would get on my nerves, I am frankly now doing that myself with AP (well, + 5 km/h, as long as AP allows that - haven't got the update yet - because that's the legal tolerance of radars). Today 90% or so of people are respecting speed limits, a percentage which would have been unthinkable ten years ago. And yes, there have been some (although not very much) instances of official speed limits being revised upwards because they were ridiculously low.

But overall, we're just driving more slowly! Nothing particularly wrong with that from the perspective of a Tesla-driver, now that the car is more or less driving itself and there are good postcasts on TuneIn!

Reactions: cdub
Speed limits should really be called speed suggestions -- everyone should make their own decision about what laws to follow. Stop signs are so inconvenient, they slow traffic down. School zones, have you ever seen anyone injured in front of a school -- why should everyone slow down for the supposed benefit of saving a child's life. Those pesky no passing zones on mountain roads. If your car can go 0 to 60 in 2.5 seconds, why should you have to wait to pass. . . Really, aren't laws for all those other people who actually need them. Not us.

Speed limits should really be called speed suggestions -- everyone should make their own decision about what laws to follow. Stop signs are so inconvenient, they slow traffic down. School zones, have you ever seen anyone injured in front of a school -- why should everyone slow down for the supposed benefit of saving a child's life. Those pesky no passing zones on mountain roads. If your car can go 0 to 60 in 2.5 seconds, why should you have to wait to pass. . . Really, aren't laws for all those other people who actually need them. Not us.

I get this argument all the time. I will tell you that 90%+ of the time those people are hypocrites. They will say it is illegal to speed, but then do it themselves. Ultimately it comes down the responsibility being mine. I am liable for the car and what it does. Treat it as such.

That's a great conversation for our society to have internally.

This is a conversation about my money and a vendor I have paid for a product. That vendor (intentionally) nerfed the product. That isn't acceptable (in the USA)

I wouldn't even go that far.

Lots of places have lower speed limits to give out more fines. The speed limits really need to go up on the east coast. And don't get me started on speed cameras.

Also, sometimes speed limits are set artificially low because they know people will do 5-10 mph over anyways. Ex: our neighborhood set the speed limit to 20 mph even though the road was designed for 35 mph. People still drive 27-29 mph on average.

Also, sometimes speed limits are set artificially low because they know people will do 5-10 mph over anyways. Ex: our neighborhood set the speed limit to 20 mph even though the road was designed for 35 mph. People still drive 27-29 mph on average.

Not only that but the enforcement mechanisms in many places take a cushion over the limit into account before any enforcement actions are taken against speeders, and thus the limit is set artificially low in order to take this cushion into account.

This goes to the reason why I have no interest in AP/FSD. I don't want the car to drive the way it wants to drive. The goal appears to be safety, which lends the car to drive like an old lady (sorry if I offend any old ladies). I don't want the car to go the speed limit, come to a complete stop at stop signs. Will it turn right on red, will it pass the actual old lady in front of me? It sounds absolutely frustrating to me.

Eh, when we truly get to FSD, you won't care if the car is obeying every traffic law because you will be asleep (or texting, or watching a movie, whatever).

I would be willing to bet that as FSD cars become an actual thing in the next 5-10 years, people's habits with regards to the speed limit will change. Once a critical mass of FSD cars (from various manufacturers) are on the roads, going the speed limit will become the norm. I can't imagine ANY manufacturer designing a self driving car that will not obey the traffic laws - too much liability.

On the flip side, some small towns that rely on speed trap revenue might have some budget shortfalls. ;)

I've asked my SC to not install future software updates. I don't feel like getting rear ended for drive the "speed limit".

Unfortunately this is a very real issue and it is terrible that society as a whole speeds. I agree the limits are generally too low in most places but even here in FL where it is 65 or 70 you see people doing 90-100. Why? It's ridiculous. None of those people know how to properly control their car at that speed. I can honestly say that as both a racer and an instructor at Tire Rack Street Survival. People still believe cars have blind spots! I can adjust the mirrors on any car to eliminate any "blind spot". Basically everyone got comfortable doing it wrong and I mean with driving as a whole; speeding, no turn signals, texting, everything. I'm not saying I don't speed, but I do believe things really need to change and unfortunately most law enforcement is useless in this regard.

::Rant over::

I would like to see a blog post with the reasoning and safety data to support the decision to limit the speed. If you agree, please also send email, tweet, make phone calls so that we may have a response. I would rather see Tesla change the expectations rather than unexpectedly disappoint.

If there is such a safety issue with AP on non-designated roads then why allow lane-keeping at all on anything but divided highways? Before the restrictions, and even with +5mph limit, it worked well enough for me as an assistant and I am not pleased that this tool is being whittled away into uselessness without any explanation. Would you rather have speed restrictions or no autopilot at all on these “unsafe” roads?

I fear for the satisfaction of future owners who are expecting great things from AP2.0 who may see those capabilities rolled back after release. Next year’s Consumer Reports survey may not be so great.

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy
Just wait how pissed we're going to be when AP2.0 gets the feature to "Move with the flow of Traffic". Now we're going to have a situation where we HAD a feature that was removed and enabled on a better set of hardware.

I think we need to swallow the hard truth. AP1.0 is dangerous in its current form. We've all felt the sudden jerk into traffic. We've all experienced the very strange behaviors that would have ended badly had we not been paying attention. We can handle it fine, but some old person may now. Tesla will slowly cripple AP1.0 to decrease their liability. First, the speed limits will go into effect. Then they will remove non-divided highway AP all together. I'm assuming they are getting more data back from AP so we are seeing Tesla accelerate this process.

Each removable will give us a little something that we've been asking for for years. Keyfob profiles came with this update. Addition Equalizer settings were also put in. Next we'll see removable of non divided AP all together and a nice fast updated browser.

Just wait how pissed we're going to be when AP2.0 gets the feature to "Move with the flow of Traffic". Now we're going to have a situation where we HAD a feature that was removed and enabled on a better set of hardware.

I think we need to swallow the hard truth. AP1.0 is dangerous in its current form. We've all felt the sudden jerk into traffic. We've all experienced the very strange behaviors that would have ended badly had we not been paying attention. We can handle it fine, but some old person may now. Tesla will slowly cripple AP1.0 to decrease their liability. First, the speed limits will go into effect. Then they will remove non-divided highway AP all together. I'm assuming they are getting more data back from AP so we are seeing Tesla accelerate this process.

Each removable will give us a little something that we've been asking for for years. Keyfob profiles came with this update. Addition Equalizer settings were also put in. Next we'll see removable of non divided AP all together and a nice fast updated browser.

I agree. I think this is the plan. Deprecate AP1 while tossing crumbs and shiny things to ease the pain. I expect AP1 to virtually disappear. They plan to upsell to AP2.

You can turn on autopilot and then hold the gas pedal to speed up the car. Kinda eliminates the "cruise control" part of it, but when I tried it the steering kept working (loaner car).
That will also increase nags to, what, 10 seconds? So driver is manually controlling speed and continuously holding the wheel. How is that still autopilot? It is essentially disabled for undivided highways now, is it not?