Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UPDATED] 2 die in Tesla crash - NHTSA reports driver seat occupied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car would not be dragged out as it was burned up, it would be lifted up onto a flatbed or a large dumpster.

The burnt Model S was not lifted onto a flatbed truck. It was dragged on the ground.

There are several videos on Youtube showing the Model S being dragged on the ground and up the tilted bed of tow truck.

Two Dead In Self-Driving Tesla Crash After Hitting Tree, Burst Into Flames | NBC News NOW
NBC News
Apr 19, 2021

Could those be drag marks from removing the car? If not, where are the marks in the grass from removing the car?
The marks from removing the car are here:
1620856681788.png

I'm beginning to wonder if this fatality accident wasn't the result of sheer bad luck.

Like maybe a medical issue or an accidental misapplication of the throttle followed by obstructions in the path perfectly suited to damaging the battery.

They got wedged between two trees, and couldn't get out. The driver tried the rear, but wasn't knowledgeable about where the manual door release was (in case of loss of power).

If they would have crashed just to left they would have had their speed cut down a bit by the fire hydrant.

That Tesla backseat driver (Param Sharma) in the Bay Area was arrested.

And immediately after he was released from jail he went and bought another Tesla and did it again.

When asked if he purchased a new Tesla after the previous one was impounded he said, "Yeah, I’m rich as (expletive). I’m very rich."

And immediately after he was released from jail he went and bought another Tesla and did it again.

From the article:
Legal experts say a judge could impose strict penalties for continued bad behavior.

"What I think you’ll see is his first court date is the judge give him a very stern warning and say, ‘You are not to drive unless you’re in the driver’s seat of your vehicle. And if you do, we’re gonna put you back in jail,'" said Steven Clark, a Santa Clara County-based legal analyst.

So they call sitting in the back seat on the highway "bad behavior"? I would call it dangerous/reckless driving. This legal analyst thinks an appropriate penalty for for reckless driving is putting you back in the driver's seat. I would think that the penalty for reckless driving is suspension of driving. Is this supposed to be funny?

From an associated story (Fox News):
Tesla introduced the Level 5 autonomy technology five years ago, but it isn't foolproof.
Authorities said Sharma was cited on April 27 for similar behavior.

Sharma is due back in court July 6. He said he will continue riding in the backseat with no driver behind the wheel.

Sharma said his antics behind the wheel are not to show off, but to show self-driving vehicles are not only the future, but the present as well.

Last edited:
yea, reading all 71 of any message board topic would be pretty stupid. Hey, you live and learn am I right mate?

It was done in small daily chunks as it unfolded. I should have said I was dumb for "continuing" to read this thread after the preliminary investigation report came out, many pages back. ;)

I've sentenced myself to taking a 450 mile drive in my Model 3 as "punishment". Wait, that's fun. Oh well, too late. :cool:

Regarding Mr Sharma, you can't fix stupid. Sort of like me for reading all 71 pages of this thread.

That guy has a history.

ps : Param may be a public safety hazard in a novel way - but every drunk driver, every driver that speeds - heck, everyone who doesn't wear a mask in a pandemic is a public safety hazard.

Last edited:
That guy has a history.

http://www.mtv.com/news/1928874/instagram-rich-kids-itslavishbitch-jail-selling-iphone/

ps : Param may be a public safety hazard in a novel way - but every drunk driver, every driver that speeds - heck, everyone who doesn't wear a mask in a pandemic is a public safety hazard.
This is just what we needed isn't it? Now you can be drunk, speeding, and sitting in the back seat. Level 4 can't come too quickly for this kind of person. There really needs to be better public education to counter the "belief" that these types of cars can drive themselves. Because people really do believe that they can.

This is just what we needed isn't it? Now you can be drunk, speeding, and sitting in the back seat. Level 4 can't come too quickly for this kind of person. There really needs to be better public education to counter the "belief" that these types of cars can drive themselves. Because people really do believe that they can.
This guy is not an innocent member of the public who has been mislead. He knows what he is doing, he even LIES about having FSD-beta, when he is clearly using basic Autopilot for his idiot-stunt (you can see the screen on his youtube videos, it is NOT the FSD-beta visualization). Yet, he titles his videos FSD-beta and brags about the 10K price tag, that he never paid. He is simply riding the publicity to gain more youtube clicks -- no better than the main stream media clickbaits.

This guy is not an innocent member of the public who has been mislead.
Yes - this guy looks like a publicity seeking spoilt rich kid. If Tesla AP wasn't there - he would be doing something else.

I think Tesla can/should add a clause in the Tesla AP/sale where they can remove features where they are clearly being abused. If someone posts a video of backseat driving or using a hack to remove "hands on wheel" nag - freeze AP in that car.

Yes - this guy looks like a publicity seeking spoilt rich kid. If Tesla AP wasn't there - he would be doing something else.

I think Tesla can/should add a clause in the Tesla AP/sale where they can remove features where they are clearly being abused. If someone posts a video of backseat driving or using a hack to remove "hands on wheel" nag - freeze AP in that car.

He's a wannabe spoiled rich kid. He doesn't have that kind of money and is in the process of being outed. Good riddance.

Interesting small update here, thanks in part to...ME! Hahah.

So yesterday, Laura Sky Brown of Car and Driver posted an article (linked below) regarding the crash. I don't know how to find the old version, but she updated it after I emailed her (without so much as a thanks I might add). I emailed her stating that she had posted several incorrect statements that she might want to clarify. Namely, she wrote:

The safety board's preliminary report also said the car took off with its owner in the driver's seat, which contradicts earlier news reports that no one was seated there after the crash.

and

The report states that when the car started, security video shows the owner in the driver's seat, contradicting reports at the time of the April 17 accident that the seat was empty when the car crashed.

I pointed out that the NTSB report doesn't, however, contradict reports that the seat was empty. What it does contradict is the statement by Harris County Pct. 4 Constable Mark Hermann that "nobody was driving". The official fire department report (which I linked for her), confirms that indeed there was no deceased person located in the vehicle's driver's seat. This trumps any eyewitness accounts as to the seat being empty. So anyone reporting that "there was no one seated there after the crash" is correct. What happened from the time that the two men drove off, and the time where they deceased is the real mystery. And it's very likely that Const. Hermann's statement that "nobody was driving" is the false information here.

Today her article contained the following updated titles:

The preliminary report said the car took off with its owner in the driver's seat, but the agency has not concluded whether he was seated there at the time of the crash.

and

The report states that when the car started, security video shows the owner in the driver's seat. Reports at the time of the April 17 accident were that the seat was empty after the car crashed.

Notice the changes? Also, in a rare show of good journalism, it looks like she reached out to NTSB to perhaps confirm what I was saying and gain some clarifying comments. I thought they were interesting:

UPDATE 5/12/21: An NTSB spokesperson clarified the agency's findings about whether the driver was seated at the wheel at the time of the crash with this statement to Car and Driver: "The NTSB has made no conclusions about the operation of the crash vehicle—we are only stating the facts as we know them at this early stage of our investigation and all we know at this point, with regard to vehicle operation, is that Autosteer was not available on the section of road where the crash happened when we tested the exemplar vehicle. Autopilot would not engage because Autosteer was not available. We have not made any conclusion about the operation of the crash vehicle during the crash sequence. That remains under investigation."

So some new clarifications from NTSB about the ability to engage A/S on that street, and again, kudos to Laura Sky Brown for correcting her article and doing some PROPER journalism.

Last edited:
UPDATE 5/12/21: An NTSB spokesperson clarified the agency's findings about whether the driver was seated at the wheel at the time of the crash with this statement to Car and Driver: "The NTSB has made no conclusions about the operation of the crash vehicle—we are only stating the facts as we know them at this early stage of our investigation and all we know at this point, with regard to vehicle operation, is that Autosteer was not available on the section of road where the crash happened when we tested the exemplar vehicle. Autopilot would not engage because Autosteer was not available. We have not made any conclusion about the operation of the crash vehicle during the crash sequence. That remains under investigation."

So some new clarifications from NTSB about the ability to engage A/S on that street, and again, kudos to Laura Sky Brown for correcting her article and doing some PROPER journalism.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36387950/ntsb-investigation-tesla-model-s-autopilot/
I agree that AP and AS were probably not engaged. However NTSB is not saying anything with 100% certainty at this point.

Autosteer was not available on the section of road where the crash happened when we tested the exemplar vehicle.

What this does not say with certainty is that the crash vehicle did not have Autosteer available on the crash day/time. Maybe the car had a difference in its optical system (dirty), software version, or the street lighting/condition was slightly different. That will never be known now as we can't test the actual car. They are doing the best they can, but they're never going to be 100% certain.

Anyway, even if AS and AP were somehow engaged, and they self-accelerated to high speed, it's still likely driver error.

He's a wannabe spoiled rich kid. He doesn't have that kind of money and is in the process of being outed. Good riddance.
Well, rich is kind of relative. McCain said / joked in 2008 - middle class is anyone who makes $5M or less in a year.