Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UPDATED] 2 die in Tesla crash - NHTSA reports driver seat occupied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, try this one on: passenger in front passenger seat. Driver buckles seat belt; sits in front seat, pre-sets TACC for high speed but does not engage it; starts car; exits car; gets in back seat; and reaches over the front seat and clicks the TACC/Autopilot stalk which resumes TACC at the high speed setting but the autopilot does not engage because there are no lane lines. This sounds right to me, and if it is correct, this guy probably did this on roadways with lane lines previously, in which case the brother in law knows about it. It also explains that Tesla is trying to figure out how to explain it. Talk me down...J

Strange. According to that article, the location was:
by default 2021-04-19 at 5.00.31 PM.jpg

That's a dead-end in a residential area full of mega-mansions.
by default 2021-04-19 at 5.00.04 PM.jpg

I'm a little befuddled how a Model S using FSD could even be driving at a "high rate of speed" on what appears to be an unlined residential street, that has to be posted 25mph. If you were driving out, could you even set up the car, and climb out of the front seat in time in that short distance at a high rate of speed?

Sad news for sure. This accident brings up a number of inconsistencies on FSD, speed and such.

The report spoke of terrible fire that was hard to put out as evidence in news photo of the Tesla. How does a rear tire survive this? Wonder if there could have been 3 people instead of just 2. No eyewitnesses to crash? It will be interesting what the final report will state.

View attachment 655003

I too noticed the rear tire and thought wouldn’t that have melted.

So, try this one on: passenger in front passenger seat. Driver buckles seat belt; sits in front seat, pre-sets TACC for high speed but does not engage it; starts car; exits car; gets in back seat; and reaches over the front seat and clicks the TACC/Autopilot stalk which resumes TACC at the high speed setting but the autopilot does not engage because there are no lane lines. This sounds right to me, and if it is correct, this guy probably did this on roadways with lane lines previously, in which case the brother in law knows about it. It also explains that Tesla is trying to figure out how to explain it. Talk me down...J
Why ? Suicide pact ? Trying to kill his friend because he got angry with him ?

Everyone talking about some kind of hack - need to provide a motive. These are not 2 kids trying to gain their 5 minutes of youtube celebrity.

Apparently there was some kind of party/dinner at the house. If there were arguments etc. people would know and talk. Or was the owner too dumb to not know AP doesn't work in his own street ? I bet every one of us have tried to set AP in our residential street only to be disappointed.

Reactions: DaveG_NJ
The camera was never really meant for driver monitoring to begin with, it was meant to record passengers who are using the Tesla Network robotaxi service.

During the development of the original Macintosh computer, Steve Jobs insisted that it should have no expansion slots. The engineers attempted to thwart Steve's directive with a motherboard "diagnostic port".

I'm thinking that the Tesla engineers wanted a driver-monitoring camera, and convinced Mr. "Best Part is No Part" by selling it as a "RoboTaxi Cam".

If neither passenger was the owner, it increases the likelihood that the driver may have exited the vehicle either to get help or flee the scene (might have had some drinks). That explanation would seem to follow Occam's Razor. It certainly makes more sense than two older guys deciding to pack weights on the seat and steering wheel and enter the back seat. I'm trying to imagine a 60 year old telling a 70 year old "Hey, let's go make a Tik Tok of us sitting in the back seat while the car drives" and the 70 year old replying "Cool, bro". ;)

Mike

What aren't you sure about? Elon pushes pushes pushes the safety aspect, safest car ever, safety safety. We broke the testing device the car
is so safe, is is beyond their safety scale!

Vehicle safety is about what happens in a serious crash. Did the occupants die? That is the name of the game, right?
That your car will protect you from dying.
If 5 people die in a Model x over a year, and 0 people die in a Volco XC90. The drivers are from the same driving demographic.
Which car is safer?
Well first off it would depend not on statistics solely because every accident situation has too many variables. We’ve seen some horrible accidents, even wrong way driver on highway at highway speeds striking a Tesla and the Tesla driver got out and walked away. In your example just because a Volvo XC90 had no deaths isn’t really that informative if the accident and injuries weren’t comparitive to the MXs, which is what the testing agencies try to level the field on.

It looks like the car hit the brakes hard enough to briefly lock up the wheels when hitting the grass before ABS kicked in. Question is - did the car hit the brakes by itself, or did someone else?

Someone above mentioned 100 ft, looks more like 50 ft from where the car left the road to the trees to me. I wonder if the trees keep the occupants from opening the doors?

Screencaptures taken from video in the 1st post.

View attachment 655159
View attachment 655160

I wondered about that too but also wondered why it looks like the braking stopped after a short distance. Maybe ABS figuring out the traction on grass and it was still trying to brake but ABS had controlled the slipping after a short distance?

Mike

Anything pulled would have been uploaded right after the crash.

In the event of a crash the car is supposed to upload information.

We don't know if the car had the capability to upload information after the crash, but I think its likely that this functionality survived the initial crash. I doubt anything survived the fire. I don't believe Tesla has a fireproof black box for storing data.
Don’t recall what was retrieved from the recording system on the tragic Model X Mt. View Calif 101 accident with the attenuated barrier a few years back but believe they were able to pull the equipment. If someone knows what happened there, that was also a battery fire situation.

Nope. You have to be moving at least 18 mph to engage TACC with no vehicle in front of you. So, grandpa buckled his belt behind him, got the car up to 18 mph, engaged TACC, then climbed over into another seat while the car was moving but it doesn't steer, mind you. Or there was a car in front of them. TACC engaged, but the lead car pulled into a driveway so WHOOSH 90 mph? Nope. It will only allow 5 over the posted limit which was probably 25 - 30 mph.

Reactions: edseloh

Nope.

Opening the driver's door automatically shifts the car into park.

Reactions: alexgr
Yea, you also can’t set tacc to faster than the speed limit from the start, so you could need to scroll the wheel after enabling it. There just doesn’t seem to be enough time in the short period they were driving. I feel like someone got out of the car.

Yes - when all said and done - I'm sure when the final report comes out (when everyone has moved on and few even remember) - it will be a mundane thing like drunk driving / pressing the accelerator instead of brake + moving to the backseat to try and get out. No AP / Cruise Control.

Almost reminds me of Princess Diana. After weeks of constant speculation by media, turned out to be a "boring" case of drunk driving.

Yes, looks fairly expensive for TX. 1 to 3M range.

That $1.2M is for the unimproved lot.....

I am kind of with the 3rd person involved theory. I mean, if this was a BMW involved in a fatal fiery neighborhood crash with what appeared to be no one in the driver's seat, there would be an immediate hunt for the person who left the scene. But Tesla = self driving to the general public, so the first assumption is "car must have been self driving, no reason to look for anyone else?"