Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

*2 Min Survey about Next Gen Suspension - Please help me for my class at MIT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Fellow Enthusiasts,

As part of a class project, I am working with a local MIT Start-Up (ClearMotion)to help them with their pricing strategy for their next-gen suspension system. They are targeting luxury vehicles, the system would be an option via the OEM.
Please help me out by taking the survey.
thumbup.gif
I promise it till only take 2-3 minutes and you'll enjoy it!
happyanim.gif

Survey Link: http://mit.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_86osxQauHAy7kZT

Cheers!

Hey Fellow Enthusiasts,

As part of a class project, I am working with a local MIT Start-Up (ClearMotion)to help them with their pricing strategy for their next-gen suspension system. They are targeting luxury vehicles, the system would be an option via the OEM.
thumbup.gif
happyanim.gif

2 thoughts. One is that the Model S is NOT in the same class as the Mercedes-Benz S-class. We'd like to believe that it is a luxury sedan but at the end of the day, it is more of a performance sedan. The other thing is when the video page comes in, the downloaded file doesn't work on my computer however when you click the link, it opens it in the same browser window/tab. This makes it confusing for people to go back to the survey (using the back button in the browser). I suggest forcing the link to open a new tab or window for the video. Survey completed btw, good luck with the project.

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
Hey Fellow Enthusiasts,

thumbup.gif
happyanim.gif

Cheers!

Interesting technology it appears. Price point ain't cheap, but not off base compared to other similar solutions. Obviously more suited for cars priced in the high(er) ranges. Best of luck!

2 thoughts. One is that the Model S is NOT in the same class as the Mercedes-Benz S-class. We'd like to believe that it is a luxury sedan but at the end of the day, it is more of a performance sedan. The other thing is when the video page comes in, the downloaded file doesn't work on my computer however when you click the link, it opens it in the same browser window/tab. This makes it confusing for people to go back to the survey (using the back button in the browser). I suggest forcing the link to open a new tab or window for the video. Survey completed btw, good luck with the project.

Thank you! - Survey fixed - video now opens in separate tab.

Reactions: gabeincal
Hey Fellow Enthusiasts,

thumbup.gif
happyanim.gif

Cheers!

Hey Fellow Enthusiasts,

thumbup.gif
happyanim.gif

Cheers!
Why don't you have Tesla Model X as an example for Luxury SUV?

OP - the Model S IS in the MBZ S Class - I would be driving an S Class right now if it had autopilot as good as Tesla and electric drive.

I would LOVE a suspension which can do what that video shows and make Southern California crap roads feel like glass smooth pavement.

YES I would pay $7,500 for it - worth every penny if it works.

The video reminds me of the old Bose suspension demonstration that never turned into a commercial product. I hope this one does!

Reactions: MP3Mike
OP - the Model S IS in the MBZ S Class - I would be driving an S Class right now if it had autopilot as good as Tesla and electric drive.

I would LOVE a suspension which can do what that video shows and make Southern California crap roads feel like glass smooth pavement.

YES I would pay $7,500 for it - worth every penny if it works.

The video reminds me of the old Bose suspension demonstration that never turned into a commercial product. I hope this one does!

Disagree. Model S is hardly in the E Class in terms of quality, refinement and feel of luxury. It would like to. But it's not.

Disagree. Model S is hardly in the E Class in terms of quality, refinement and feel of luxury. It would like to. But it's not.

Disagree with you - and my prior car was an E55 AMG. The only area MBZ has an edge on Tesla is in the subjective feel of some materials (and perhaps long term durability and scratch resistance of some plastics and the exterior paint) and the refinement of the seats.

In every other area the Tesla is more refined.

It handles better, the controls are smoother. The interface is way ahead. The throttle response is truly instant. There is no engine noise whatsoever at low speeds in around-town traffic. Oh yeah - it drives itself.

These are things which actually matter.
  • The ultimate luxury is typing this message to you as my car drives itself. THAT'S refinement. THAT'S luxury.
  • Driving to my condo at the village at Mammoth from L.A. to ski for the weekend, pulling into the underground parking lot and plugging into a Tesla destination charger - rather than screwing around with a gas station in blustery winter weather - THAT'S luxury.
  • Almost 16,000 miles of zero service or repair visits instead of the close personal relationship I developed with Mercedes and BMW dealership technicians - THAT'S quality.
  • Self driving behavior and user interface which has dramatically improved via over the air software updates in the six months I've owned the car at no extra cost to me - THAT'S luxury.
  • Ordering my car online rather than dealing with the clowns at the dealership - THAT'S luxury.
But if "refinement" and "quality" to you means a higher grade of vinyl on your armrest, a deeper "thunk" sound when you close the driver door and smaller panel gaps then more power to ya man.

What would make this a perfect car is a more luxurious ride, some better sound insulation and seats on par with BMW and Benz's best seats.

These cars may not be competitors in your brain but I vote with my dollars and have owned a string of Benzes, BMWs and Bentley.

In my case Tesla directly stole money from Mercedes that would otherwise have been spent on another E class or, more likely, an S Class.

I will admit I have a 2016 Tesla with the premium interior - not a 2013 - and the car has come a long way since then. If you appreciate clean, minimalist modernist interior design in architecture then the Tesla is as luxurious as anything else out there. Again, some of the materials could still use an upgrade even though they have come a long way since 2013. But the things it does right are SO MUCH more important to a true definition of luxury.

The game has changed and so has the definition of luxury. Prior to autonomous cars and electric propulsion, the kinds of things MBZ excels at actually did matter because there wasn't a lot else to differentiate them from the competition.

But Mercedes has no answer for Tesla - for now - in the new definition of what luxury and quality are. Mercedes' Drive Pilot is a joke.

When their electric competitors and their autonomous cars are more than vaporware we can revisit the discussion and compare what they will bring to market with whatever Tesla is selling at that time.

Last edited:
The problem with that survey is when it comes to a suspension there is a lot more than just price that is looked at.

On the Model S the biggest concern regarding the SAS was the questionable long term reliability. I know I avoided it mostly because I didn't want the extra complexity, and weight. I didn't want some other thing that could go wrong where the usefulness of it to me was of limited value.

Secondly it doesn't really address what's becoming a much bigger concern these days, and that's just how atrocious our road systems have become. There are road systems within the US that are playing havoc on suspensions. While this new fangled ClearMotion system can make it better for the driver does it do anything for long term reliability? $4K is chump change for a suspension that allows a Model S to be driven in over tremendously rough road at 70+mph.