Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2-phase charger for US Tesla

Do you have 16A (or similar) 3-phase power at home?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello
I have been working for some time to develop 2-phase and 3-phase chargers that combine energy from them into one "superphase" with fixed voltage (250V, independent on load) to get max from J1772 and US Tesla at home.
Actual working solution monitors load and reduces speed when any phase is overloaded.
Such 2-phase charger (I have called it Accelev, and dedicated for US Tesla is Accelev-T) is capable of 4.8 kW from two phases, so it is perfect for 16A protected grids.
For Tesla it uses slightly corrected parameters - 5.1 kW from 2 phases (11,5 A per phase).
3-phase version charges with speed of 8 kW (11,5 A per phase).

I think such home charger can be a nice alternative to those, who need faster charging, but use US Tesla, and have low amperage (like 16A) per phase.

F2-A20-4.jpg
F2-A20-5.jpg
IMG_8944.jpg

Reactions: GSP
Looks interesting. So, would you have some sort of dual plug setup (connect to two separate 120V 15A outlets)? Most of the sockets in US homes/garages that are installed in proximity of one another will share the same circuit braker. So this solution would only work in a scenario where someone has outlets installed in a dual gang box but each side connects to separate braker. Not a very common scenario.

Unless I misunderstood your approach.

Last edited:
If I'm understanding correctly, this is a product for people that imported a US market Tesla into Europe but have to deal with the lower amperage of 3-phase power there.

Yes, but how many of those were there? A few people did before the EU launch, but nowadays you'd be crazy to do so (no supercharging, no service, potential legal issues, plus the cost of shipping - easier and better to sell in the US and buy used over here).

The product as described would be useful to Nissan Leaf drivers, and I think early models of the BMW i3 also had single-phase-only charging, but the EU model S doesn't need this.

What would potentially be useful for EU Model S drivers is something to work from three-phase without neutral. Currently, there are places (parts of Norway, Belgium) with 240V phase-to-phase IT system with no neutral; these can charge Model S using two phases but not three. Also throughout Europe you occasionally find the 3-phase 4-pin outlets (derived from conventional 400V 3-phase-with-neutral supplies but where the neutral hasn't been distributed) and Model S can't charge from those supplies at all.

Possibly this product could be adapted to help EU Model S charge from those supplies?

There may be more US spec Teslas in Eastern Europe and Russia. I think it can sometimes be less expensive to import a used car from the US or a Japan, compared to an EU car.

With cars like the Ampera-E, with its 32 Amp single phase charger, the Nissan Leaf, and others with single phase chargers, there could be a decent market for this device. Espically since it can adjust charging as household loads increase to avoid overloading the home's electrical service, which would be very useful for 16 A or 32 A 3-phase service.

GSP

Reactions: arg
There may be more US spec Teslas in Eastern Europe and Russia. I think it can sometimes be less expensive to import a used car from the US or a Japan, compared to an EU car.

With cars like the Ampera-E, with its 32 Amp single phase charger, the Nissan Leaf, and others with single phase chargers, there could be a decent market for this device. Espically since it can adjust charging as household loads increase to avoid overloading the home's electrical service, which would be very useful for 16 A or 32 A 3-phase service.

GSP

Yes, I have focused on such single phase chargers in cars, and as I see there is quite a lot of Tesla US imports, this may be useful for them.
Until now I have a small feedback, as I have produced (hand made) 10 chargers, and 2 of these are at my home and at work (I charge Nissan Leaf and Outlander PHEV with it). All other were bought by Tesla owners.

@piro,

I am impressed with the small size and professional appearance of your converter.

How does it work? Do you rectify the 3-phase to DC, then invert to single phase AC?

I am also curious how efficient the conversion is and how you cool it.

GSP