Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Year Tesla Service Agreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn’t cover HV battery or drive unit, and super limited with just 1 option. Can only purchase if you purchased New directly from Tesla, and can only purchase while still under factory warranty. Cannot double up on coverage either. I have many years with XCare, looks like I’m sticking with what I have
Since the extended coverage plan covers the HVAC system and the compressor this might be worth considering. The compressor will cost you north of $4000 to replace outside of the 4 year warranty. As noted the battery pack is covered under a separate 8 year / 120,000 mile warranty. The drive units should under normal conditions (not tracked or raced) last at least as long as the battery and probably longer.

Since the extended coverage plan covers the HVAC system and the compressor this might be worth considering. The compressor will cost you north of $4000 to replace outside of the 4 year warranty. As noted the battery pack is covered under a separate 8 year / 120,000 mile warranty. The drive units should under normal conditions (not tracked or raced) last at least as long as the battery and probably longer.
So the MYP has track mode? Does that mean if we use it we would be voiding the warranty????

So the MYP has track mode? Does that mean if we use it we would be voiding the warranty????
No but hard driving of any vehicle can cause premature wear and tear. Repeated 0 to 60 time runs has got to put additional stress on all components. This does not mean that using track mode or taking your Model Y to the track will void the warranty (well maybe the tires and the brake pads but those have no specific stated warranty.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob2C
Also shows up for Model 3, at $1800 (same coverage terms).

Link to full extended warranty details (the link is embedded in the info page in the app as well): https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/service/vehicle_extended_service_agreement_en_us.pdf
I see a $100 deductible per visit and you also must pay any applicable state and local taxes. There is a long list of excluded items, including lights, battery cables, and hoses. One funny excluded item is:

“Towing the Vehicle with a Model S or improper winch procedures (any model);”

I guess if you tow your car with a tow truck, pickup, or any other car besides a Model S it is covered? 😀 That makes no sense.

I bought the 4-year extended service agreement for my 2015 Model S for $4000. It had a $200 deductible. As time went by, Tesla drastically reduced their prices for common repairs, like MCU, screens, door handles, etc. It saved me from less than $2000 in repair cost, so like all other service agreements it was not worth it.

The Model 3/Y should have lower costs for parts and repairs than the S/X. Parts are made in much higher volume and there is a much bigger market to attract third-party aftermarket part suppliers and repair shops.

As others have said already “the house always wins“ (paraphrase)

GSP

So we have until the basic warranty expires to purchase the service agreement. Tesla can raise the price but I feel if you invest that 2k for fours years it will be a better option of buying when the vehicle is new. Plus you can get a feel if it’s a problem vehicle. If you resell privately it might be worth it because it can be transferred. Just another selling point.

Since it doesn't cover the HV battery, Not interested.
By the time I get to the end of the warranty, I'll be itching for a different vehicle anyway.

Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty​

The Battery and Drive Unit in your vehicle are covered for a period of:
Model S
Model X
8 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
Model 3 Long Range
Model 3 Performance
Model Y Long Range
Model Y Performance
8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

Reactions: alexcue
Just saw on the app Tesla has a 2 year 25k service agreement available for the Model Y. Is it worth it?
Most likely not, unless you're unlucky. No one offers extended warranties that aren't net profitable, so not worth it to the majority of customers, why would you think there's any other net outcome? It's just insurance, most peoples premiums subsidize an unlucky minority, and the provider nets a profit - that's how it always work, Tesla or toaster oven.

Last edited:

Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty​

The Battery and Drive Unit in your vehicle are covered for a period of:
Model S
Model X
8 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
Model 3 Long Range
Model 3 Performance
Model Y Long Range
Model Y Performance
8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
Absolutely, I think for a $1,000/yr it should include the HV battery for vehicles beyond the 8 year warranty. That's the most expensive part of the vehicle and undoubtedly based on what I've seen the part of the car that causes the most stress as far as degradation and long term usability. Me I probably won't reach the 8 year limit before I'm ready to get a new vehicle.

interesting development... many folks will see this and appropriately conclude that if anything breaks during the extended period, it would probably cost over $2k. On the other hand, Tesla is entirely data driven and for them to make this offer means they know they will come out ahead... never bet against Elon
As is the case with all extended warranties..... :cool:

Given that current models with HW3 are not upgradeable to HW4, and HW3 is nearing 3 years old, and with the release of HW4 within the year, would it be worth it to keep HW3 for an extra 25k/2yrs?

I think it makes sense if you're going to hit 75k/6yrs within the next 2 years.

If, as in my case, you just acquired the vehicle and the warranty is good for 4 years/50k from now, HW3 will be pusing 7 years at the end of coverage, which is a veritable dinosaur in technology-age. I could see this making sense if you drive >20k miles a year, and warranty is about to run out before the expected sell or trade-in. Similar to Apple-tax, It seems repair costs for Tesla are inflated due to lack of competition in the service space.

Given that current models with HW3 are not upgradeable to HW4, and HW3 is nearing 3 years old, and with the release of HW4 within the year, would it be worth it to keep HW3 for an extra 25k/2yrs?

I think it makes sense if you're going to hit 75k/6yrs within the next 2 years.

If, as in my case, you just acquired the vehicle and the warranty is good for 4 years/50k from now, HW3 will be pusing 7 years at the end of coverage, which is a veritable dinosaur in technology-age. I could see this making sense if you drive >20k miles a year, and warranty is about to run out before the expected sell or trade-in. Similar to Apple-tax, It seems repair costs for Tesla are inflated due to lack of competition in the service space.
It depends on your personal use case for the a car with HW3. I am perfectly happy with my vehicle that has HW3 and the incremental improvements it will receive of the years. I do not have, nor will I ever purchase FSD, but that's not what I want out of my personal vehicle. Therefore HW3 will serve my purposes well.

It depends on your personal use case for the a car with HW3. I am perfectly happy with my vehicle that has HW3 and the incremental improvements it will receive of the years. I do not have, nor will I ever purchase FSD, but that's not what I want out of my personal vehicle. Therefore HW3 will serve my purposes well.
90% of the owners will fall into this category. HW4 is mostly for FSD

Reactions: DanDi58 and 804son
I must be one of the few that have bought extended warranty’s and had it pay off. My last cost 3k for 3 years no deductible everything covered. In fact, it’s not available any more from the carrier. It cost them 10k when it was all said and done (trans failed), 120 mile tow and being FWD, entire engine had to come out which meant thr dealer found other issues ;)

I have mixed feelings on this new offering from tesla. Mine would be 1800 for two years. In the last two years, it had cost me 4K for the M3. 2 k forr top and back glass (not covered), new tires. Not covered. New repeater cameras. Not covered. New CCS upgraded. Not covered. Cabin filters. Not covered. The only thing covered was the 12 volt battery at 0 dollars. Maybe I’m just lucky.

Reactions: 804son
As with all warranty's value depends on likelihood of failure, exclusions, and possible repair(s) cost. IMO $2K is better off sitting in a high yield savings account or similar for those 2 years - odds are you'll come out ahead. Or sell and get a new car with new warranties and new features as I normally do.