Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20 Hardware changes a week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California
The recent MotorTrend review of the S P85D focused on the incredible performance of the car. However, there was one nugget buried in the story... The reporter mentioned that Elon told him that they are making an average of 20 hardware changes a week to the car.
I know nothing about the auto industry but this strikes me as a lot of changes. I take it to mean that they are continually working to improve the car. I assume that most of these changes are small and intended to improve the quality or performance of the cars.
I was wondering if anyone knows if this is an unusual number of changes for a car which has been in production for several years or is this routine?
It does give me some reassurance as I am waiting for delivery of my car that for every week of "delay" I can expect 20 improvements.

I've found Elon to be a very intelligent and almost genius-like person.

But one thing I have also found is he exaggerates, is extremely vague or just plain out wrong about specific dates and timeframes, and when it comes to bragging about the car he kind of pulls things out of his rear-end at times. This is one of those times.

You will notice the radio silence about the Model X and the potential delay.. assume the Model 3 wont be coming out until 2018-2019 at the earliest as well.

I think Elon is talking product development hardware changes that are not part of Production. They may be part of an upgrade like we saw with the driver assist/autopilot improvements. 1000s of changes in that one release if you look at the systems piece by piece. A little marketing smoke & mirrors.

I think Elon is talking product development hardware changes that are not part of Production. They may be part of an upgrade like we saw with the driver assist/autopilot improvements. 1000s of changes in that one release if you look at the systems piece by piece. A little marketing smoke & mirrors.

In production you're more likely to make 200 changes in one week and not make another change for ten weeks (assuming that the line would need to be reconfigured for the new parts. I'm sure your right about product development hardware changes.